Cost of living in East Bay area

Cost of living in East Bay area

Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:02 am
Just Joined

mrbigdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in East Bay area

Hi Everyone,

Great advice here thank you all.

Im taking the opportunity to jump in here. I am currently very interested in this post because i'm in East Bay as we speak trying a role with my current employer in the US. The proposed salary is $90-$95k per year and a possible $25k bonus. My wife and Son of 12 years old would be joining me from the UK on an L1 visa, so its possible my wife could get work as well, although this would be a basic income.

Bearing in mind we could live a little further out to the east or south as options, would the above situation prove any easier for us?

Thanks so much.

Paul
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford East Bay Area

Originally Posted by mrbigdog
Hi Everyone,

Great advice here thank you all.

Im taking the opportunity to jump in here. I am currently very interested in this post because i'm in East Bay as we speak trying a role with my current employer in the US. The proposed salary is $90-$95k per year and a possible $25k bonus. My wife and Son of 12 years old would be joining me from the UK on an L1 visa, so its possible my wife could get work as well, although this would be a basic income.

Bearing in mind we could live a little further out to the east or south as options, would the above situation prove any easier for us?

Thanks so much.

Paul
What city would you be working in?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Default Cost of living in East Bay area

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some advice please.

I've been working for a large US Medical Device Company in the UK for 4 years and have an opportunity to take a job covering the East Bay area of San Francisco for a salary of $95k per year with a 'possible' performance bonus of $30k per year. They are also offering $5k lump sum to relocate. I have a wife and Son who would join me (my son is 12) and we would be on an L1 visa so my wife could find a basic or part time role too.

Based on the above, are we going to be able to afford a reasonable standard of living? Iv'e been advised to look at some of the following areas: Laurel village, Pacific heights, Orinda, Rock ridge, Lafayette, Walnut creek, West porto, Petaluma county, Clayton but we could be further east or south and commute further.

Good Schools are a must. I'm seeing rents for reasonable 3 bedroom houses on Craigs List etc. for $2.5 - $3.5k per month. With taxes and other costs would we be able to afford to live here?

Thanks so much for responses.

Paul
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Can we afford East Bay Area

Originally Posted by Michael
What city would you be working in?
Hi Michael, thanks for the reply. I would be taking a field sales role covering Hospitals in central San Francisco and the East Bay area so we could live on the outskirts of the territory and travel further. Places like Walnut Creek would be central to the whole territory but we could live further out on the fringes...
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in East Bay area

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate some advice please.

I've been working for a large US Medical Device Company in the UK for 4 years and have an opportunity to take a job covering the East Bay area of San Francisco for a salary of $95k per year with a 'possible' performance bonus of $30k per year. They are also offering $5k lump sum to relocate. I have a wife and Son who would join me (my son is 12) and we would be on an L1 visa so my wife could find a basic or part time role too.

Based on the above, are we going to be able to afford a reasonable standard of living? Iv'e been advised to look at some of the following areas: Laurel village, Pacific heights, Orinda, Rock ridge, Lafayette, Walnut creek, West porto, Petaluma county, Clayton but we could be further east or south and commute further.

Good Schools are a must. I'm seeing rents for reasonable 3 bedroom houses on Craigs List etc. for $2.5 - $3.5k per month. With taxes and other costs would we be able to afford to live here?

Thanks so much for responses.

Paul
It probably depends at what stage you are in life. I just find it crazy that people move over for an amazing job, but end up poorer than someone earning half that at home. If you're paying $3000 rent, that's $36.000 gone in a year. Stay 5 years and that's $180.000 wasted. Add all the other costs and that salary isn't great, but some can easily manage.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

How likely is the performance bonus? Does your employer include health insurance? For your family as well as for you?

On a $95K salary your take home is going to be about $75K after state/federal/FICA tax
Rent of say $36K, leaves $39K to live on for the year, which is going to be a pretty frugal lifestyle but possible. However would give you with no real option to build up savings.

As you are on L1 is this going to be just a temporary position (a few years) or are you planning to make it permanent?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mrbigdog I have consolidated your posts into this thread.

Welcome to BE.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Hi All, thanks... Some bonus is likely but its a sales role so dependent on performance. My company offers some subsidised health care benefits, company car, free fuel etc. The plan would be for 3-4 years minimum with an option to stay on. Is the higher cost justified for the lifestyle?? In the UK I earn 39k and pay £900 per month for a grade 2 star manor house where my whole family lives...
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, thanks... Some bonus is likely but its a sales role so dependent on performance. My company offers some subsidised health care benefits, company car, free fuel etc. The plan would be for 3-4 years minimum with an option to stay on. Is the higher cost justified for the lifestyle?? In the UK I earn 39k and pay £900 per month for a grade 2 star manor house where my whole family lives...
Is it worth it? Only you can decide and health care + fuel benefits is a good thing. If you're planning to return to the UK, do you really want to move with a 12 year old and then waste all that money on rent? In my opinion you'd probably be better off staying where you are, or maybe consider buying your own place in the UK.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

fozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond reputefozzyb has a reputation beyond repute

Stay 3-4 years and your 12 year old will be 15-16, do you really want to be moving him back right at GCSE time? There is no real US equivalent of GCSE - so getting back and into A-levels might be problematic. There must be options for a British school in the Bay area somewhere, but it will be $$$.

(BTW I'm in much the same situation as you, my eldest is 12 coming up 13, and considering moving to the bay area. For us we have to view it as a permanent move with only an emergency exit if things really don't work out. If we do go then I plan to absolutely insist that my employer begins the greencard process almost immediately).
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fozzyb
Stay 3-4 years and your 12 year old will be 15-16, do you really want to be moving him back right at GCSE time? There is no real US equivalent of GCSE - so getting back and into A-levels might be problematic. There must be options for a British school in the Bay area somewhere, but it will be $$$.

(BTW I'm in much the same situation as you, my eldest is 12 coming up 13, and considering moving to the bay area. For us we have to view it as a permanent move with only an emergency exit if things really don't work out. If we do go then I plan to absolutely insist that my employer begins the greencard process almost immediately).
I think you're right. If you're not 20, or not ending up better financially I don't see the point. If it's a move, then it should be permanent, otherwise it's just a lot of stress and an expensive holiday without time off.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Right, thanks for the thoughts. The expectation would be that he finish his education here, but I see your point. The L1 I believe would allow me to renew my visa twice for 5 years each time, so we would have to decide within the first renewal wheather to go for a green card. I wouldnt purposefully disrupt his Schooling.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 3:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

My company offers some subsidised health care benefits, company car, free fuel etc.
Only "some" health care benefits? You should probably consider anything less than full coverage for every member of your family as a deal breaker. Even with the full payment of your premiums, you will still in all probability be looking at co-pays and possibly a deductible. You will also need a second car for your wife.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Only "some" health care benefits? You should probably consider anything less than full coverage for every member of your family as a deal breaker. Even with the full payment of your premiums, you will still in all probability be looking at co-pays and possibly a deductible. You will also need a second car for your wife.
And car insurance isn't cheap either. I was shocked to hear that some people are now paying up to $2.000 on average
Sorry, it might be less in California, but still expensive enough.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 2nd 2014 at 3:27 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The L1 I believe would allow me to renew my visa twice for 5 years each time
Unless its changed since I did it the L1 is initially for 3 years, and can be renewed twice (for L1-A) at 2 years at a time - so total 7 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.