Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of giving birth in USA

Cost of giving birth in USA

Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of giving birth in USA

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
If I am not being too nosy I'd be v. interested to hear from you all about what kind of maternity leave your jobs give.

I work for a British company so they are v. generous. I know American companies can be awful... Keep 'em coming!
One standard, if you're at a decent company, is six weeks paid leave. Sometimes if you have a c-section, it might be eight weeks. Sometimes you can claim the recovery period on your short-term disability insurance, in which case your doctor is the one who determines when you are fit for work again.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 6:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc

If I am not being too nosy I'd be v. interested to hear from you all about what kind of maternity leave your jobs give.
the missus works for one of the big evil empires, and on paper, the benefits are great, but in reality, there crap because they make you jump through hoops to get them, and they still deny the benefits...can't get sick because that comes out of your holiday pay, and if you need long term health care you better be dead by the end of it or they'll really screw you over.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My friend recently got 6 weeks maternity leave, which she said was pretty normal. I cant remember if she was paid for 3 of those or none. She wasnt too fussed about this until I told her what the UK get.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

6 weeks and if you use up all your vacation time, 8.
Don't ever get pregnant here without insurance, from start to finish you will end up with bills way over $100,000. Most of the bills you see when you have insurance are contracted amounts with insurance companies and will be more if you are a self pay.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:15 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here in California you can take six weeks for maternity leave and then use the Paid Family Leave Act for an additional six weeks to bond with new child and the state pays. The Paid Family Leave Act also allows you to take six weeks off to take care of a seriously ill family member.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:23 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
Here in California you can take six weeks for maternity leave and then use the Paid Family Leave Act for an additional six weeks to bond with new child and the state pays. The Paid Family Leave Act also allows you to take six weeks off to take care of a seriously ill family member.

Also meant to add that the above does not provide job protection, like always there's a catch
Old Jul 1st 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I have a 80/20% policy (they pay 80% and we pay the rest)with a $500 deductable when I had my daughter 18 months ago it cost us over $2500 after the insurance paid their bit... and that was for a normal birth.

Also I became pregnant 5 months after we got married (I had been added to my husbands policy as a dependant when we were married) so having only been covered for 5 months they still paid up on it.

You really need insurance if you are planning a family in the US... you would be crazy to do it without.

Ash
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

IrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant future

Just wanted to add that my friend back home started maternity leave yesterday and is off until nest Feb! She is a teacher, she is off until mid/late August when the schools go back. In one day, baby due at end of August, then 6 months maternity leave teaking her to Feb 06. Alright for some!
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:06 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrnBru
Just wanted to add that my friend back home started maternity leave yesterday and is off until nest Feb! She is a teacher, she is off until mid/late August when the schools go back. In one day, baby due at end of August, then 6 months maternity leave teaking her to Feb 06. Alright for some!
Teachers are mainly women of childbearing age so most school districts tend to have policies that allow for this.

But have you seen what teachers are paid, and the hours they pull during the school year, which is effectively 10 months out of 12? :scared: Not to mention the little darlings becoming less darling every year.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 8:08 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Cost of giving birth in USA

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Also I became pregnant 5 months after we got married (I had been added to my husbands policy as a dependant when we were married) so having only been covered for 5 months they still paid up on it.
You managed to wait a whole five months?!!

We almost made it to one month before I became pregnant - I blame it on all that fresh air on our honeymoon...
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:20 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone tried going back to the UK for the birth?

Would it be worth it? I guess you'd have to plan to stay there for a few months but at least you wouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars to give birth!

We're planning to try to start a family around December time, but I don't know if we can afford it now that I've read all this
Old Jul 1st 2005, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wintersong
We're planning to try to start a family around December time, (
Spending a weekend with ours and Bored-Sillys kids will I'm sure help you re-evaluate this decision ...
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:31 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

It cost us $295 for our first child (born in Texas in 1999) and $15 for the second (born in Minnesota in 2002). I was lucky as we had good insurance and I had very straight-forward births with no complications. Insurance for first child required a 10 percent deductible (total cost for pre-natal care, delivery etc. was $2950, hence $295 was what we paid). When I had my second daughter, I only had to pay a $15 copay for my first doctor visit, thereafter it was covered 100 percent. Since then, my husband's insurance has changed dramatically and I know it would cost us a LOT more now. Thankfully, there are no plans for further children or we'd be bankrupt .
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:42 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Spending a weekend with ours and Bored-Sillys kids will I'm sure help you re-evaluate this decision ...
Need a babysitter? I could do with a short, sharp shock to help me change my mind
Old Jul 2nd 2005, 12:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Has anyone tried going back to the UK for the birth?

Would it be worth it? I guess you'd have to plan to stay there for a few months but at least you wouldn't have to pay thousands of dollars to give birth!
Doing that, then you'll have to fart around with immigration...well if the father's a USC might not have to..but it's a pain getting flights when pregnant...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.