Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of giving birth in USA

Cost of giving birth in USA

Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:00 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Cost of giving birth in USA

Originally Posted by IrnBru
I wondered if anybody knew the cost of giving birth in a USA hospital, this would be for somebody without health insurance.

I will also look into the cost of getting insurance, but have heard that you need to be covered for at least a year before pre-natal care and giving birth is covered?

My husband and I are thinking of starting a family soon, he works here permenantly but I travel back and forth to the UK, we still have a home there. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of having the baby here, with my husband, or back in the UK where we wouldnt need to pay anything.

Obviously, if I am here whilst pregnant, I would need to pay for scans and check ups.

PS Sorry if I sound absolutely clueless about this - but I am! I have never needed any sort of medical treatment here and dont know the procedures.

Thanks

IrnBru
I don't get it; your husband has a permanent job in the US, but you live in the US part time and the UK part time?

Is your husband a PR in the States or is he on a work-related visa? Do you have a visa yourself eg. H4 or L2?

How come you are not on your husband's medical insurance?

I wouldn't even think about getting pregnant in the US without any medical insurance.....my Aussie friend had a 16 week scan and found that the baby had died, this was last year.....just the op for the D&C cost $11,000! :scared: (Mind you, the hospital - Hackensack University Medical Center in NJ) was like a 5* hotel.....lots of marble and a waterfall in the foyer....designer cotton dressing gowns....sculptures and oringinal paintings on the walls....but this was of no interest to her, it was all for show and didn't speed up her recovery one iota.

You will often find with travel medical insurance that they will medivac a patient out of the US back to their home country as soon as they are allowed to fly because it's cheaper than paying for the treatment in the States!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of giving birth in USA

Originally Posted by Manc
getting pregnant is the health insurance equivalent of driving your car off a cliff on purpose.
Big time! Too many unknowns in that arena....don't do it. If your child should be born early or with health problems, special care could set you back hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm a bit of a pessimistic on things, but this could be a very bad mistake if you chose to do it.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:02 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Big time! Too many unknowns in that arena....don't do it. If your child should be born early or with health problems, special care could set you back hundreds of thousands of dollars. I'm a bit of a pessimistic on things, but this could be a very bad mistake if you chose to do it.
However, if you already have healthcare coverage, there is an automatic 30 days extension of coverage for a new born child.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:33 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I don't get it; your husband has a permanent job in the US, but you live in the US part time and the UK part time?

Is your husband a PR in the States or is he on a work-related visa? Do you have a visa yourself eg. H4 or L2?

How come you are not on your husband's medical insurance?

I wouldn't even think about getting pregnant in the US without any medical insurance.....my Aussie friend had a 16 week scan and found that the baby had died, this was last year.....just the op for the D&C cost $11,000! :scared: (Mind you, the hospital - Hackensack University Medical Center in NJ) was like a 5* hotel.....lots of marble and a waterfall in the foyer....designer cotton dressing gowns....sculptures and oringinal paintings on the walls....but this was of no interest to her, it was all for show and didn't speed up her recovery one iota.

You will often find with travel medical insurance that they will medivac a patient out of the US back to their home country as soon as they are allowed to fly because it's cheaper than paying for the treatment in the States!
My C-Section years go would have cost around $8,000 and on top of that a weeks stay in the intensive care unit for both of us put the bill upto approximately $90,000 :scared: . Luckily my health insurance paid for it all. My advice is don't risk it if you don't have insurance.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The missus cost her folks $30K as there insurance got voided a month before she was due, mainly because the insurance company went broke.

That was 25 years ago, and was a quick and simple birth as well.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmals
just a thought.....but ig you travel back and forth to the uk.....do you have british travel insurance???.......
travel insurance will be void if you aren't a UK resident though...unless you got special one way travel insurance, which wouldn't cover giving birth.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Twat alert.

Last edited by Manc; Jun 28th 2005 at 5:52 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just the cost of the actual birth you have to take into account. My friend's newborn was rushed into NICU and was in there for several days. Despite decent health insurance the bills came to well over $15,000. Then there is the after care over here which to me doesn't seem half as good as the after care in the UK.

Both my pregnancies in the UK ended up as emergency c-sections and after my first child was born I couldn't have coped for the first 2 months without the help of my family. So unless you have family or close friends in the US I would definitely choose the UK over the US.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

I Had a baby here in Texas 3 years ago. Regular pre-natal care with the exception of an amniocentesis. Anticipating a regular birth but baby was breech (which my OB/GYN didn't realise-but that's another story) so a C-section was done. Spent 2 days in hospital and the bill came to just over $15,000!
I had 2 babies in Scotland and have to say that the pre and post natal care there was far better!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:06 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I was pregnant when we arrived in the US and I had no problem getting health insurance through my husband's company.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
I was pregnant when we arrived in the US and I had no problem getting health insurance through my husband's company.
Usually pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition IF you sign up within 30 days of starting the job. Some insurers can demand proof of prior coverage.... do they count NHS coverage as prior coverage?! that's an interesting question.

Many, many poor and uninsured mums give birth by showing up at the ER in full labour, but that's a pretty dangerous thing for both mum and baby. I guess you could do the prenatal stuff out of pocket, but .... so long as you have the ability to pay the bills, you'll be forced into doing so or into bankruptcy. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned bankruptcy yet, Manc.... a LOT of personal bankruptcies in the US are due solely to health costs, even when the persons involved are insured!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Usually pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition IF you sign up within 30 days of starting the job. Some insurers can demand proof of prior coverage.... do they count NHS coverage as prior coverage?! that's an interesting question.

Many, many poor and uninsured mums give birth by showing up at the ER in full labour, but that's a pretty dangerous thing for both mum and baby. I guess you could do the prenatal stuff out of pocket, but .... so long as you have the ability to pay the bills, you'll be forced into doing so or into bankruptcy. I'm surprised you haven't mentioned bankruptcy yet, Manc.... a LOT of personal bankruptcies in the US are due solely to health costs, even when the persons involved are insured!
Bankruptcy to walk out of a bill and be free as a bird will soon be not allowed. Thank you Mr. Bush.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:36 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Bankruptcy to walk out of a bill and be free as a bird will soon be not allowed. Thank you Mr. Bush.
There were some exceptions but I don't recall what they are.

Once again I feel like I've taken it up the rear. Amazing I can still sit down after his governorship here and now the Presidency. I'm at my butt's end.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There were some exceptions but I don't recall what they are.
Not very many. The way I heard it is if you can afford a certain amount a month (no matter how small) then you will have to pay your debt. Mr Bush, a leader for big business.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:48 pm
Lapine Member

Not very many. The way I heard it is if you can afford a certain amount a month (no matter how small) then you will have to pay your debt. Mr Bush, a leader for big business.
No doubt until you retire, then it's garnished from Social Security.

Why doesn't he just bring back debtor prisons? More honest that way. Hell, we already exploit prisoners for free or low-wage labour; and we wonder why we have so many people behind bars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.