Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of giving birth in USA

Cost of giving birth in USA

Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

IrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant future
Default Cost of giving birth in USA

I wondered if anybody knew the cost of giving birth in a USA hospital, this would be for somebody without health insurance.

I will also look into the cost of getting insurance, but have heard that you need to be covered for at least a year before pre-natal care and giving birth is covered?

My husband and I are thinking of starting a family soon, he works here permenantly but I travel back and forth to the UK, we still have a home there. I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons of having the baby here, with my husband, or back in the UK where we wouldnt need to pay anything.

Obviously, if I am here whilst pregnant, I would need to pay for scans and check ups.

PS Sorry if I sound absolutely clueless about this - but I am! I have never needed any sort of medical treatment here and dont know the procedures.

Thanks

IrnBru
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of giving birth in USA

I think it will run at least $10,000. More if you need a c-section.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

IrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
I think it will run at least $10,000. More if you need a c-section.

Wow, I had heard that it would be about $5000 for a straightforward birth, but did mention to my Husband about possible Special care and things like that if the baby wasnt in perfect health

Looks like I will be travelling home then, and i would need to go before the cut off date for flying whilst pregnant. I think its about 30 weeks?
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrnBru
I will also look into the cost of getting insurance, but have heard that you need to be covered for at least a year before pre-natal care and giving birth is covered?
getting pregnant is the health insurance equivalent of driving your car off a cliff on purpose.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Manc
getting pregnant is the health insurance equivalent of driving your car off a cliff on purpose.
Yeah, I was thinking that! Its like getting insurance just so you can do something, as opposed to having the insurance to cover you just in case
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like I will be travelling home then, and i would need to go before the cut off date for flying whilst pregnant. I think its about 30 weeks?
then how does the little one get back in to the USA?
Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:57 pm
ImHere

Now that's a very good point. They wont be on the visa at all. ANd to get them on could be a long wait.

Old Jun 28th 2005, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

just a thought.....but ig you travel back and forth to the uk.....do you have british travel insurance???.......
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

I would need to stay at home for a couple of months, Husband would come over to see us, would also need to think about visa's etc to get back over here. Its such a hassle. But, I am almost 30, and Husband will be working here for the next couple of years at least, so its something we wanna do and we dont want to put it off until we get home to the UK for good. So we just need to figure out how to work it all out!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emmals
just a thought.....but ig you travel back and forth to the uk.....do you have british travel insurance???.......
yeah I do, just normal travel insurance though. Ok if I am in an accident, but I dont think it would cover this. Just designed to cover emergencies, and the legal costs & hospital bills arising from them.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:02 pm
@matthewb76

yeah I do, just normal travel insurance though. Ok if I am in an accident, but I dont think it would cover this. Just designed to cover emergencies, and the legal costs & hospital bills arising from them.
would be cool for the nipper to have dual citizenship though
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

maybe so....but check it out.....if you fly back to the US in your third trimester and get a doctors note signing you off from flying what are you to do???.....you will probably find your insurance covers it.....sneeky I know......but worth a shot at
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

We had thought about the dual citizenship thing. But just some vague thought, as I have said Im not very knowledgeable of all things American! Will need to give all of this some serious serious thought. But thanks for your replies, keep em coming, we need to think of all problems and eventualities before going ahead.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

would be cool for the nipper to have dual citizenship though
we thought about going over when I was pregnant.......can be a bit sneeky me.......but because of the difficulties I had with my first......we had to return before my 28th week other wise my insurance would have been nul and void........back to the drawing board
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

How long have you been out of the UK and *not* paying taxes?

The DOH website says you are entitled to free healthcare if you have left the UK within the last 5 years AND you paid taxes to the UK treasury for 10 consecutive years before you left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.