Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of dentist's in Boston

Cost of dentist's in Boston

Old Aug 5th 2008, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice
Default Cost of dentist's in Boston

SOrry should have added to the bottom of the last post !! but i'm wondering just how expensive the dentists are in boston .. my hubby needs a new cap and a couple of filings ad our NHS dentist as usual can't fit him in so we are about to pay privately over here and wondered how the cost compared ??

the cap is about £400 and each filing is about £100 plus I suppose about £250 for x rays and other c*ap they make you have .....

anyway any idea of cost would be appreciated

Georgia
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of dentist's in Boston

Originally Posted by georgiaw
SOrry should have added to the bottom of the last post !! but i'm wondering just how expensive the dentists are in boston .. my hubby needs a new cap and a couple of filings ad our NHS dentist as usual can't fit him in so we are about to pay privately over here and wondered how the cost compared ??

the cap is about £400 and each filing is about £100 plus I suppose about £250 for x rays and other c*ap they make you have .....

Georgia
Thats a very difficult question to answer as most people have insurance here. My wife had a cap done and we paid about $370 i think and the insurance paid $370 because we have 50/50 coverage. But that doesn't mean it would cost $740 total if you went as a cash patient as dentists and doctors agree to lower prices for treatments through insurance companies.

Also what type of filings are you referring too? My dentist only does the porcelin ones which are more expensive than my metal NHS ones.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

georgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nicegeorgiaw is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elliott
Thats a very difficult question to answer as most people have insurance here. My wife had a cap done and we paid about $370 i think and the insurance paid $370 because we have 50/50 coverage. But that doesn't mean it would cost $740 total if you went as a cash patient as dentists and doctors agree to lower prices for treatments through insurance companies.

Also what type of filings are you referring too? My dentist only does the porcelin ones which are more expensive than my metal NHS ones.
they call it white amalgam (spelling ???) over here definately not porcelin ones .. not sure we even have that .... my mouth looks like metal mickey !!!

$740 is still about what I think we'll pay here

Sad isn't it !!!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/health/dental-crown.html
Old Aug 5th 2008, 7:26 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Georgia
without insurance, you'd best think about taking out a second mortgage
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

they call it white amalgam (spelling ???) over here definately not porcelin ones .. not sure we even have that .... my mouth looks like metal mickey !!!

$740 is still about what I think we'll pay here

Sad isn't it !!!
All-porcelain (ceramic) restorations are particularly desirable because their color and translucency mimic natural tooth enamel.
They are more expensive than the amalgam ones but its all my dentist had to offer me.

yes it is sad, I've spent $7000 on my teeth here in the last 4 years

One thing that does help here though, regardless of whether you have insurance or not, is the availability of a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) through your employer.
These accounts allow you to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible expenses. Dentist and doctors fees, co-pays, deductibles and prescriptions are all eligible. So are many other things, like day care. Its like taking 33% off anything you would normally pay. The only down side is that you have to decide exactly how much you want in the account at the start of each year. payroll deductions are made to fund that amount throughout the year. Also another down side is that you have to use the money in the account by the end of the year or it goes.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:25 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

i think the thing you have to factor in is all the other crud the us dentists will insist you absolutly need that we dont get in the uk - like deep under gum cleaning.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MsElui
i think the thing you have to factor in is all the other crud the us dentists will insist you absolutly need that we dont get in the uk - like deep under gum cleaning.
i just had that done ! Of course if i didnt then my teeth would be falling out soon
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on who you see and what insurance you have, Could be a few hundred, could be over $10,000.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bloody expensive would be the gist.

We had dental insurance, so $50 deductible for a $150 check up, got one coming up, but won't be going me thinks now I don't have insurance.

A filling and a couple x-rays and a clean was a good $550 odd last year on the insurance.

If your out in the burbs, I'd recommend this guy though as it's a really nice practice and he hasn't been out to fleece us with anything unnecessary.
Old Aug 5th 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

If you're in Boston proper I have two I can recommend,

One is on Newbury Street the other is in Central square. They are both friends of mine.

Let me know.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 1:18 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
just wanted to add - they are keeping my husband on 3 monthly checkups - (so he is having to see the hygienist and pay for a clean and checkup every 3 months) as he has some receeding gums and they want to be sure they are not getting worse. even though he told them he has had them for years and they are not worsening. Im trying to pluck up the courage to go to the dentsist here as i also have receeding gums and cant be arsed to go for 3 monthly tortures with the hygienist when i have been fine for the last 10 years with 6 monthly visits in the uk.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

So it seems as expensive over there again dependant on where you go .... although you seem to get offered more (perhaps un-necessary) stuff !!

I'm going to look into the dental school option that one of the posters sent me a link too thanks for that really helpful site ... plus need to make sure I get dental with my health insurance ! gosh it's expensive

then again so is paying national insurance at 12% of your salary ....and that rarely includes any dentist treatment anyway .....

anyway thanks so much for all your help it's been appreciated

G
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
bloody expensive would be the gist.

We had dental insurance, so $50 deductible for a $150 check up, got one coming up, but won't be going me thinks now I don't have insurance.

A filling and a couple x-rays and a clean was a good $550 odd last year on the insurance.

If your out in the burbs, I'd recommend this guy though as it's a really nice practice and he hasn't been out to fleece us with anything unnecessary.
i'm in needham is that the right area of the Burbs ???

Georgia
Old Aug 6th 2008, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to look into the dental school option that one of the posters sent me a link too thanks for that really helpful site ... plus need to make sure I get dental with my health insurance ! gosh it's expensive
You can consider the dental schools are sort of like interns in training. They need people to practice on with the professor around to assist. So generally the cost is extremely cheap since you basically only pay for materials.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.