Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Corporate Relocation Packages

Wikiposts

Corporate Relocation Packages

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:16 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Corporate Relocation Packages

Originally Posted by OiOi

Overall it looks like your family got a great deal. May i ask what profession you husband is in and in what year did you got this deal?
He is a manager in IT and this was this time last year (oct 2007). I would add he works for a large well known company who do transfers enough to have a blanket visa and )aslo have a relocation manual the size of a small telephone directory (covering locations across the world). We got the standard package for his level - we were not able to negotiate but as it felt quite generous we didnt have an issue with it.

Last edited by MsElui; Oct 9th 2008 at 8:19 am.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:36 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think it's fairly unusual to get taxed on relocation expenses, certainly all of the companies we've talked to would have covered it for us and given us a tax free lump sum as well.
It's not unusual actually these days, it's something you've got to negotiate or they don't care about as you can claim relocation expenses back at tax time to counter it other wise.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

my package was theoretically not negotiable, however, I still went back to them and did so, and was succesful to some degree in gaining uplift..
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's not unusual actually these days, it's something you've got to negotiate
OK, I was just guessing based on our own experiences, we've certainly never had to negotiate it (or even mention it), it's always been offered as part of the relocation package without us asking for it. I assumed that was the norm.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:34 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

this is also a good post to read
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=relocation
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

ITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to allITsWhatIDo is a name known to all

a couple of posters have mentioned their salaries calculated in the US. One said x1.5 and one x2 their UK salary.

Assuming a salary of 50k GBP and using the 1.5 example. Does that mean 50X1.5=75k= $127k (1GBP=$1.7)?
OR did you mean 50x1.5=$75k?

Thank you for the clarification.

Dave
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:40 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo
a couple of posters have mentioned their salaries calculated in the US. One said x1.5 and one x2 their UK salary.

Assuming a salary of 50k GBP and using the 1.5 example. Does that mean 50X1.5=75k= $127k (1GBP=$1.7)?

Dave
Back in 1998 i got a salary increase using your first example (with slightly different exchange rate). But then i was working in a very in demand profession at the time.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a lump sum and told to take care of myself. But I was in the somewhat unique position that I had a greencard and a USC wife. I'd also lived in the US previously, so exploratory flights, etc weren't as necessary for me.

I'll be typically British and not disclose the exact amount, but it was more than $10K and less than $20K

It pretty much covered everything, but we were just renting a small terrace house in the UK and didn't move much stuff with us, so we were a little lucky. So we basically just had to cover flights on 2 adults and one baby, some moving expenses (about $5k if I recall) and then odds and sods like a rental car for a few days, shipping the cat, etc.

We wanted to move to the US regardless, so be honest, having ANYTHING to help with the move was most appreciated for us. It's why I'm a little casual about whether we completely won on the deal or not.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:20 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

Originally Posted by ITsWhatIDo

Dave
for us it was approx english pounds x 1.5 (approx). ie an example £50k x 1.5 = $75k. My husband didnt get simply double his uk salary in dollars (Exchange rate at time of move) as he was coming from London wages to Ohio wages and double would have given him way more than an equivalent person in Ohio. As it is he is still at the top end of the group here. That said he works for a large organisation with lots of comparable employees/data to make a fair assessment. It could be harder in a smaller firm. If we had moved to say New York (as we were also offerred) then I expect the salaries there are more weighted like London and it might have been a different amount again.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:53 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

We got

1 week recce trip from Oz to USA for all 4 of us (we had to agree to fly economy to get that though)
Flights to move here
40ft container and some air freight
60 days paid furnished accomodation and all food, groceries and gas for that time.
Car rental until we got our own wheels - 4 weeks I think.
2 weeks 'upset allowance' tax free
Closing costs on sale of Oz house
Closing costs on purchase of house here
1 year tax prep.
Medical and dental insurance.
$10,000 electricals allowance
All visa costs and greencard application about to go in.
Difference between 'book value' and what we actually sold our cars for in Oz.

Think that's all - think we did well there.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skydivingisfun
I know just what you are syaing, we have just had our house valued for the move and 3 estate agent have told us it is worh £30K less than about 18 months ago:curse:
That's what happens when you buy at the top...