Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cooking Mistakes

Cooking Mistakes

Old May 16th 2012, 4:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking Mistakes

Originally Posted by paranoidandroid
You're right, thanks for correcting me.
Celsius is uniquely un-american... I prefer it because I used it at home when I cooked. Unlike you, I actually learned how to actually use the oven.
I cooked at home, the only reason I don't now is because my wife is so bloody picky she'd not like half the stuff I make.

The majority of what I cooked was stove-top though, I rarely baked or roasted anything. I did make an apple pie once though, turned out surprisingly well despite the fact that I couldn't bake my way out of a wet paper bag.

Now, my Ulster Fry on the other hand. Well, I wouldn't let your health insurance company know you were about to eat one, put it that way ...

Do you think we can get stoves that use the Kelvin scale to catch on?
Old May 16th 2012, 4:28 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I cooked at home, the only reason I don't now is because my wife is so bloody picky she'd not like half the stuff I make.

The majority of what I cooked was stove-top though, I rarely baked or roasted anything. I did make an apple pie once though, turned out surprisingly well despite the fact that I couldn't bake my way out of a wet paper bag.

Now, my Ulster Fry on the other hand. Well, I wouldn't let your health insurance company know you were about to eat one, put it that way ...

Do you think we can get stoves that use the Kelvin scale to catch on?
That was why I was referring to the oven. I know what bloody student cookery is like.. all on the top of the stove.

I can actually roast, casserole and generally use the oven pretty well, it's a lot easier than pissing around watching stuff in a pan on the top.

Ulster fry.. ahhh the one thing that a decent heart attack requires. Guess the one thing I miss when thinking about that? .... proper butcher-made beef sausages. Even in England they never made them like they did there. I wonder if the trade for them is still there?

Kelvins, now that would be fun. I suggest we try and get it to gain popularity.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, except it's spelt 'Celsius'. I just said the gas mark because it is a uniquely British thing.
Well it doesn't do a damn bit of good on an electric stove now, does it?
DOH!

Old May 16th 2012, 4:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That was why I was referring to the oven. I know what bloody student cookery is like.. all on the top of the stove.

I can actually roast, casserole and generally use the oven pretty well, it's a lot easier than pissing around watching stuff in a pan on the top.

Ulster fry.. ahhh the one thing that a decent heart attack requires. Guess the one thing I miss when thinking about that? .... proper butcher-made beef sausages. Even in England they never made them like they did there. I wonder if the trade for them is still there?

Kelvins, now that would be fun. I suggest we try and get it to gain popularity.
It was more the only things I was ever interested in making for myself were fries and curries

I'm with you on the beef sausages, though - we went to the best butcher, would buy loads of them. Just lovely

Originally Posted by cindyabs
DOH!

Was that ever mentioned? I wasn't really paying attention.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:47 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

DOH!

Forgive him Cindy, he's slightly retarded.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Well he's going to have to step up his game if he's going to take a more significant part in the BE daytime team.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:51 pm

It was more the only things I was ever interested in making for myself were fries and curries

I'm with you on the beef sausages, though - we went to the best butcher, would buy loads of them. Just lovely

Was that ever mentioned? I wasn't really paying attention.
I like a curry too.. but you can't beat roast beef and yorkshire puds.

The shop made beef sausages were something you hardly saw in a butchers in England, bloody brilliant.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Giant V's heading your direction ...

Well he's going to have to step up his game if he's going to take a more significant part in the BE daytime team.
I put it to you again - had the word 'electric' been in the post I replied to I'd have stuck with Kelvin instead.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:52 pm

It's not going to happen.. without Eb, I have a feeling that he's going to struggle to hold onto his position such as it is.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:53 pm

Giant V's heading your direction ...
Thank you.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:54 pm
I have a comma problem

Honestly, the middle finger salute is so common.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:55 pm

Honestly, the middle finger salute is so common.
I know. I dropped my standards when I moved to the US.
Old May 16th 2012, 4:57 pm
Sursum corda

I know. I dropped my standards when I moved to the US.
Psssssssssst-try rotating it!
Old May 16th 2012, 4:58 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, except it's spelt 'Celsius'. I just said the gas mark because it is a uniquely British thing.
Yeah, I was meaning Celsius as I'm guessing your wife wasn't roasting anything at 400C!! It took me ages to get used to cooking in Fahrenheit when I moved here, and now I'm totally converted and can't work out Celsius temperatures any more....

Never really baked/roasted on gas except when we were at university, and that normally ended in tears........
Old May 16th 2012, 5:00 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yeah, I was meaning Celsius as I'm guessing your wife wasn't roasting anything at 400C!! It took me ages to get used to cooking in Fahrenheit when I moved here, and now I'm totally converted and can't work out Celsius temperatures any more....

Never really baked/roasted on gas except when we were at university, and that normally ended in tears........
Wasn't my wife anyway

I was just having a laugh. Wish I'd never opened my bake now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.