Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Convince me NOT to go back to the UK

Wikiposts

Convince me NOT to go back to the UK

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 4:57 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convince me NOT to go back to the UK

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Hi Bob,

Hope all is well with the baby & all.

One reason why I posted this is that I also wanted to gauge opinions on the degree in which the UK has or has not changed in the last 10 years from expats who visit fairly regularly. I would value their opinions over those who still live there and may not have noticed such changes. The only real changes I'm aware of are that there are a lot more Eastern Europeans, the economy is worse (as is everywhere) and that London now has a skyline.
It has both changed, and not changed. But I would live there for the totality of the culture, not for a few specific items.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:02 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla
Internet Meltdown Alert !
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Oh my! I'm surprised that you have no friends and that you drive everyone away from you... you have such a natural, bubbly attitude towards life!

Ian
If you goad people and are generally aggressive and personal, when all that was asked for was an opinion on possible action, you are very likely to get a reaction.

Just saying.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yay!
Yep! He's being flown out, at the company's cost, in 2 weeks for a final round interview with a company in downtown Seattle. He's also had a couple of interviews with Amazon, so we're really hoping one of the positions pans out.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 5:30 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I don't have the money, basically. And even if I did, I would want to visit the UK first and research jobs, potential locations, etc.

It's not because I'm miserable here or because I'm running away and seeking salvation in Blighty. I would do it because I think I'll have a better chance of being able to move forward in my life, personally, professionally and even when it comes to making new friends or seeking potential romantic partners.

Remember, I didn't come here for a better life in the first place, which is why I won't leave disappointed or cap in hand. I've gained a lot from the experience, but it's been "time to move on" for a couple of years now and I'm not getting any younger.

I don't like the American rat race and want no part of it. I don't keep up with the Joneses. Perhaps the UK has become more competitive in that sense since I left. This is why I want feedback, not solutions to my own problems.
I've never left the UK so can't comment on changes within the UK. However you've already identified that the UK is going to be a more comfortable existence for you than where you are now, so it's really just a case of figuring out a plan and going for it.

Really, when it comes down to it, the only money you will need is enough for an air ticket back to Britain and maybe a couple of months rent/deposit on somewhere to live as well as buying groceries during that time. If you're going to be looking for work in a city, you probably won't need a car or any other expense like that.

The advice given to people on here who want to leave the UK for professional reasons is to network intensively and put yourself "out there" in the hope of being noticed. The same applies to you. Build up as many UK contacts in your field as you can, and work them for job openings.

Good luck.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:04 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

On the rare occasions I miss the UK I go to Vancouver or Victoria and remember very rapidly why I left because they're so similar.

If you're an LPR or US citizen my advice would be to move to Seattle if you want crap weather and you can always go and watch soccer in Vancouver, plus it's loaded down with British people.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Yep! He's being flown out, at the company's cost, in 2 weeks for a final round interview with a company in downtown Seattle. He's also had a couple of interviews with Amazon, so we're really hoping one of the positions pans out.
Cool! Well fingers crossed it all goes well!
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The OP's asking for opinions in something that's a pretty life changing kind of arena, so knock the soap box rubbish on its head folks.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

No health insurance is a biggie.

Difficulty fitting in on an ideological level is as well.

I think Lion in Winter has expressed it very well. You are fearful of going back to situations which were bad before, but you don't have to. The UK is big enough for you to avoid your family and old toxic acquaintances. Look on it as a completely new start.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say I'm rather surprised by 'attack' on here by some forum regulars. Don't knock him down; help him up. There are plenty of folks that feel their situation is unchangeable and their stuck, like this guy does. Obviously we know the ultimate decision is his, but we should be nicer in our approach.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say I'm rather surprised by 'attack' on here by some forum regulars. Don't knock him down; help him up. There are plenty of folks that feel their situation is unchangeable and their stuck, like this guy does. Obviously we know the ultimate decision is his, but we should be nicer in our approach.
Seconded.

I am sure he also knows he has the final say as well.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...poor bloke is having a tough time and is at a cross-roads. Some people get so arsy.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise - it can be quite hard. (been here 16 yrs now)

I think loneliness may be a big factor, yes? I know it was/is for me. The reason I say was/is - I have good weeks, bad days. My last friend (ex-pat) left 2 yrs ago and I never realised how much impact that would have in my life.

I'm a hermit now - I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to go out (like this Sat night - OH GAWD!!!!).

There is nothing like good friends and at our age it is VERY difficult to make new friends. Especially since we are still (well, I am) looking for ex-pats.

I wanted/want to leave too. But here's the thing - I go back every year, hand out with my friends, food that I love, people that are friendly and can't WAIT to get back here. I realise that the country I left a long time ago has changed - and not in a good way.

In my case, it's me. I want to leave, I want to stay (I actually want to go to Switzerland but not gonna happen due to the cost of course.)

So I suppose the thing is this - what do you think would really be different if you moved back? What if wherever you move to they are just as anti-social? Do you think you would handle it better?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

And it is a truth that the older you get the harder it is to obtain a social circle.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toopie28
I realise that the country I left a long time ago has changed - and not in a good way.
Really? When I go back, it always seems better, with more regeneration, more stuff to do, and more innovation (silly things like a digital machine which makes it really easy to inflate your car tyres, a job I avoid here). What don't you like?
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Boiler
And it is a truth that the older you get the harder it is to obtain a social circle.
True, and it's part of why I miss pubs so much. They are an easy way to ease into a social circle. Bars in the US aren't the same because the culture is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.