British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/converters-uk-electrical-appliances-usa-520046/)

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 10:37 am

Re: Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6040593)
Sorry to disagree, but I brought all of my appliances with me (kitchen ones, not vacuum, washer etc).

We have one big step up/step down convertor in the kitchen in a corner and IMO it was far cheaper to bring our iron, Bamix, Nespresso machine, Polti steam cleaner etc .. all the expensive stuff .. than to leave it behind to rot in storage, sell for pennies or give away, than to buy new here.

And perhaps it's being a woman you get used to certain things and yes, it is sad to leave them behind! So, OP, I fully understand and highly recommend you bring them and replace when they die.

I can't remember where we got our convertors as my H bought them online, but he did his research and got a great deal.

We have 2 large ones - the kitchen one and one for the plasma - and a couple of smaller ones for other stuff.

Happy to hear that. Cheers! You brought your television (plasma) as well? We got a fabulous deal (in Asia) on ours and absolutely love the quality; we'd like to bring it.

Dan725 Mar 10th 2008 10:38 am

I'm with Ray.

Ebay/local paper/trader are your friends....soon as you've gotten rid of your stuff you won't miss it, especially when you get here and get new and improved gear.

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 10:43 am

I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ;)), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers. :)

lapin_windstar Mar 10th 2008 3:11 pm

Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6042758)
Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).

We will check. Thanks. :)

lapin_windstar Mar 10th 2008 9:40 pm

I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6044663)
I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!

;)

Ray Mar 10th 2008 9:59 pm

I do know converters can overheat and catch fire .....

TruBrit Mar 10th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6041673)
I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ;)), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers. :)

i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that :lol:

Sally Redux Mar 10th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6044801)
i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that :lol:

Perfect for candlelit suppers.

kins Mar 11th 2008 3:22 am

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6041673)

I wish I had brought my breadmaker, I can't find a similar one here.

Last time I moved from the US to the UK I took my US voltage computer speakers and scanner with me and ran them for years through a transformer that I got from a shop on Tottenham Court Road. Haven't really tried it going the other way though. My UK laptop and PC work fine in the US but we left all our other electrical items there.

William Semmes Apr 5th 2008 2:15 am

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6034243)
Looking to buy a converter so to use some UK appliances in the USA. Does anyone know where to buy them? Cheers. :)

http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK

Mandana Apr 5th 2008 12:52 pm

This is where we bought ours from http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html

BritishGuy36 Apr 5th 2008 3:50 pm

I'm not bothering. Just bringing only stuff which is already designed to work on 100/110/230/240v @ 50/60Hz:

2 x laptops (power bricks will take anything form 100v to 240v)
PC (will give the 230v PSU away to a mate prior to shipping and buy a new PSU when we get there)
DivX/DVD player
Buffalo Linkstation networked HDD
Cisco Pix firewall
Camcorder
Linksys PAP2 VoIP ATA
Motorola bluetooth headset
Medion (Mitac clone) PDA cradle/charger thingy
Other stuff I forgot about

It's amazing how much CE stuff now is just universally power-able. Makes sense I suppose.

Am bringing a few 5-way gang extensions to plug it all into, that way I don't have to buy as many converter plugs.

LadyBelle Apr 7th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by William Semmes (Post 6161430)
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK

It looks like this site is for a retailer who is in the UK. But you mention they should have them a lot cheaper than in the UK. Did I read that incorrectly? Thanks.