British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/converters-uk-electrical-appliances-usa-520046/)

LadyBelle Mar 8th 2008 12:43 pm

Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

Looking to buy a converter so to use some UK appliances in the USA. Does anyone know where to buy them? Cheers. :)

valis Mar 8th 2008 1:34 pm

Re: Converters to for UK electrical appliances in USA

See the link from this:

http://phonostage.blogspot.com/2007/...3-110220v.html

Vimto Mar 8th 2008 2:22 pm

You need a step up voltage converter, this will work only on appliances which have on their nameplate 50/60hz. Many european appliances with motors in them will NOT work in the US even if you adjust the voltage.
Have a look at this website for convertors http://www.electrashop.co.uk/convertpower.htm, US to UK convertors start about halfway down the page.

Ray Mar 8th 2008 4:15 pm

Waste of time and effort ....buy new on arrival ...

LadyBelle Mar 8th 2008 5:21 pm

hmmm...leave behind even our braun handheld food processor? sad. :( ;)

Ray Mar 8th 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6035092)

Yup!!

Vimto Mar 8th 2008 6:06 pm

The only electrical items you have which will work on the US are most probably your computer (laptop or desktop), for anything you have and would like to hang onto check on the dataplate, for it to work in the US it should have 50/60hz and 100/240V, anything with 50hz 220v only you might as well sell or donate, electrical items are not too expensive in the US.

penguinsix Mar 8th 2008 9:04 pm

With very few exceptions, it's really not worth bringing most of your electronic devices over here. Computers and laptops and anything built for 110/220 is ok, but by and large most people recommend selling them back home and using the proceeds to buy here (where things are generally a bit cheaper). If you are going to be returning in 1-2 years, then you can consider throwing a few things in storage.

Fans, hair dryers, curling irons, electric toothbrushes--it's all a bunch of hassle and easier to get new ones.

Good luck

Folinskyinla Mar 8th 2008 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6035092)

Hi:

Why is it sad? They make them for the US and looking at the price of converters --

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-MR430HC-.../dp/B00004S9GX

LadyBelle Mar 8th 2008 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6036145)
Hi:

Why is it sad? They make them for the US and looking at the price of converters --

http://www.amazon.com/Braun-MR430HC-.../dp/B00004S9GX

Just being silly and sentimental. ;)
Thanks everyone. Let the sale begin.
Cheers.

Mandana Mar 10th 2008 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6034767)
Waste of time and effort ....buy new on arrival ...

Sorry to disagree, but I brought all of my appliances with me (kitchen ones, not vacuum, washer etc).

We have one big step up/step down convertor in the kitchen in a corner and IMO it was far cheaper to bring our iron, Bamix, Nespresso machine, Polti steam cleaner etc .. all the expensive stuff .. than to leave it behind to rot in storage, sell for pennies or give away, than to buy new here.

And perhaps it's being a woman you get used to certain things and yes, it is sad to leave them behind! So, OP, I fully understand and highly recommend you bring them and replace when they die.

I can't remember where we got our convertors as my H bought them online, but he did his research and got a great deal.

We have 2 large ones - the kitchen one and one for the plasma - and a couple of smaller ones for other stuff.

Ray Mar 10th 2008 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6040593)
Sorry to disagree, but I brought all of my appliances with me (kitchen ones, not vacuum, washer etc).We have 2 large ones - the kitchen one and one for the plasma - and acouple of smaller ones for other stuff.

but who paid for the shipping ..

Mandana Mar 10th 2008 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6040603)
but who paid for the shipping ..

They didn't take up that much room in the container!

The OP needs to weigh up the sentiment v the cost of a packing box to ship and the cost of the convertor.

Even if we had paid for the shipping we would have done the same

Ray Mar 10th 2008 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6040613)
They
Even if we had paid for the shipping we would have done the same

LOL..thats what those who had it paid for always say ....

Mandana Mar 10th 2008 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6040631)
LOL..thats what those who had it paid for always say ....

We can only go on our own personal experiences!

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6040593)
Sorry to disagree, but I brought all of my appliances with me (kitchen ones, not vacuum, washer etc).

We have one big step up/step down convertor in the kitchen in a corner and IMO it was far cheaper to bring our iron, Bamix, Nespresso machine, Polti steam cleaner etc .. all the expensive stuff .. than to leave it behind to rot in storage, sell for pennies or give away, than to buy new here.

And perhaps it's being a woman you get used to certain things and yes, it is sad to leave them behind! So, OP, I fully understand and highly recommend you bring them and replace when they die.

I can't remember where we got our convertors as my H bought them online, but he did his research and got a great deal.

We have 2 large ones - the kitchen one and one for the plasma - and a couple of smaller ones for other stuff.

Happy to hear that. Cheers! You brought your television (plasma) as well? We got a fabulous deal (in Asia) on ours and absolutely love the quality; we'd like to bring it.

Dan725 Mar 10th 2008 10:38 am

I'm with Ray.

Ebay/local paper/trader are your friends....soon as you've gotten rid of your stuff you won't miss it, especially when you get here and get new and improved gear.

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 10:43 am

I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ;)), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers. :)

lapin_windstar Mar 10th 2008 3:11 pm

Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6042758)
Is your big screen TV NTSC compatible? I thought a lot of the flatscreens now aren't (unlike before, where most of the decent CRT TVs were all multisystem).

We will check. Thanks. :)

lapin_windstar Mar 10th 2008 9:40 pm

I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!

LadyBelle Mar 10th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar (Post 6044663)
I should add that I know bugger all about electronics, I am just repeating I overheard third hand off a guy down the pub etc!

;)

Ray Mar 10th 2008 9:59 pm

I do know converters can overheat and catch fire .....

TruBrit Mar 10th 2008 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6041673)
I hear you on the buying new. There are some items that we haven't been able to find in the States that we got in Asia at fabulous prices and brought back to the UK with us (shipping paid for ;)), and they're definitely less expensive than they cost in the States...and certainly less expensive than from the UK (£ -> HK$ exchange).

Ok, so I was being funny about the Braun handheld food processor, but I do have some more interesting products that I'm considering bringing over...like the big screen tv and our breadmaker. If we can easily get converters for those, perhaps the little Braun should just jump in a box too. I'll have some shipping companies round to give us quotes.

Cheers. :)

i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that :lol:

Sally Redux Mar 10th 2008 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6044801)
i could just hear mrs bucket going on about that :lol:

Perfect for candlelit suppers.

kins Mar 11th 2008 3:22 am

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6041673)

I wish I had brought my breadmaker, I can't find a similar one here.

Last time I moved from the US to the UK I took my US voltage computer speakers and scanner with me and ran them for years through a transformer that I got from a shop on Tottenham Court Road. Haven't really tried it going the other way though. My UK laptop and PC work fine in the US but we left all our other electrical items there.

William Semmes Apr 5th 2008 2:15 am

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6034243)
Looking to buy a converter so to use some UK appliances in the USA. Does anyone know where to buy them? Cheers. :)

http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK

Mandana Apr 5th 2008 12:52 pm

This is where we bought ours from http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html

BritishGuy36 Apr 5th 2008 3:50 pm

I'm not bothering. Just bringing only stuff which is already designed to work on 100/110/230/240v @ 50/60Hz:

2 x laptops (power bricks will take anything form 100v to 240v)
PC (will give the 230v PSU away to a mate prior to shipping and buy a new PSU when we get there)
DivX/DVD player
Buffalo Linkstation networked HDD
Cisco Pix firewall
Camcorder
Linksys PAP2 VoIP ATA
Motorola bluetooth headset
Medion (Mitac clone) PDA cradle/charger thingy
Other stuff I forgot about

It's amazing how much CE stuff now is just universally power-able. Makes sense I suppose.

Am bringing a few 5-way gang extensions to plug it all into, that way I don't have to buy as many converter plugs.

LadyBelle Apr 7th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by William Semmes (Post 6161430)
http://www.accessorystore.co.uk/acat...sformers.html; they should have them and a lot cheaper than in the UK

It looks like this site is for a retailer who is in the UK. But you mention they should have them a lot cheaper than in the UK. Did I read that incorrectly? Thanks.

LadyBelle Apr 7th 2008 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6163011)

Thanks! ;)

mark_sheffield Apr 30th 2008 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I am going to the US this summer and would like to take my laptop with me.

I have seen on this post that others have managed to do this successfully:

I'm not bothering. Just bringing only stuff which is already designed to work on 100/110/230/240v @ 50/60Hz:

2 x laptops (power bricks will take anything form 100v to 240v)
I have a HP Pavillion Laptop.

Does this mean that all I need to do is purchase a wire with a US plug on it to go into my laptop power pack? :confused:

If so where could I obtain such a wire? I have had a look on ebay UK but I don’t really know what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Mark

penguinsix Apr 30th 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield (Post 6289320)
Hi everyone,

Does this mean that all I need to do is purchase a wire with a US plug on it to go into my laptop power pack? :confused:

If so where could I obtain such a wire? I have had a look on ebay UK but I don’t really know what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Thanks

Mark

If you are going to be here for awhile, best to buy the wire. It's probably a standard power cord that you can buy at any Best Buy, Circuit City, or Radio Shack in the USA. Probably even walmart. On one side it will have a standard US plug (3 prongs) and on the other it will have something that looks like a figure 8 or sort of a square/trapazoid with three holes in it (unplug the cord you have and take a look to see).

But if you are just here a short while, you can get a simple plug transformer that takes the bulky UK 220 prongs and converts them to US prongs. Pretty easy to find that anywhere in the UK.

Long term I'd recommend the cord rather than the convertor thing, but for a few weeks, not a big deal.

Of course, double check the brick to make sure it is 110-220. It will say on the brick.

Here's a pic of the 'figure 8' looking thing
http://www.cablewholesale.com/prodimages/10w1-132.jpg

mark_sheffield Apr 30th 2008 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 6289392)
If you are going to be here for awhile, best to buy the wire. It's probably a standard power cord that you can buy at any Best Buy, Circuit City, or Radio Shack in the USA. Probably even walmart. On one side it will have a standard US plug (3 prongs) and on the other it will have something that looks like a figure 8 or sort of a square/trapazoid with three holes in it (unplug the cord you have and take a look to see).

But if you are just here a short while, you can get a simple plug transformer that takes the bulky UK 220 prongs and converts them to US prongs. Pretty easy to find that anywhere in the UK.

Long term I'd recommend the cord rather than the convertor thing, but for a few weeks, not a big deal.

Of course, double check the brick to make sure it is 110-220. It will say on the brick.

Here's a pic of the 'figure 8' looking thing
http://www.cablewholesale.com/prodimages/10w1-132.jpg

Thanks for your quick reply.

My powerbrick says input 100V - 240V so I presume there is no problem there.

I have considered the adaptors before and had a look on ebay but the description states that they are not suitable for laptops as they do not convert voltage:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-USA-2-PINto...QQcmdZViewItem

I would like to purchase the wire that you recomend from the UK if this is possible. :confused:

penguinsix Apr 30th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield (Post 6289478)
Thanks for your quick reply.

My powerbrick says input 100V - 240V so I presume there is no problem there.

I have considered the adaptors before and had a look on ebay but the description states that they are not suitable for laptops as they do not convert voltage:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/US-USA-2-PINto...QQcmdZViewItem

I would like to purchase the wire that you recomend from the UK if this is possible. :confused:

The laptop's power "brick" converts the voltage, from 100v to 240v--it will give you the necessary power. Laptop makers were thinking ahead when they added those bricks as their users were always trotting around to different countries. All you need to do is get the plug into the outlet ('into the mains', as they say). For that the thing you showed on ebay should be sufficient.

Not sure where you could buy a cord in the UK. A walk down Oxford Street toward TCR tube used to be where you'd go for weird electronics things, but haven't been there in awhile.

BritishGuy36 Apr 30th 2008 10:11 pm

I always get my cables in the UK from www.revealcable.co.uk - great prices, even including shipping, and quick too.

I am about to have a practice pack to see what stuff I am bringing/shipping to see how many US mains to figure of 8 / clover / kettle leads I will need, then I will be putting an order in with them.

Anthony919 May 1st 2008 2:30 am

Originally Posted by LadyBelle (Post 6034243)

I bought mine from the following company whose adapters are excellent.
I use them on most small-scale appliances, although my UK shredder doesn't work to full strength.

I ordered from Teleadapt, they are in Watford. They have a site but best call them on +44 (0) 1923 810 200.

A good way to deal with several UK-plugged appliances in one area (like the kitchen or office equipment), is to get a UK 5-way strip. Cut off the UK plug and replace it with a USA plug (get an electrician to do this if you don't know what you're doing). Then just plug in all your UK appliances in the 5-way strip section and away you go.

By the way, I have found USA electrical outlets and plugs to be less secure than UK designs.

Folinskyinla May 1st 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield (Post 6289320)
Hi everyone,

I am going to the US this summer and would like to take my laptop with me.

Does this mean that all I need to do is purchase a wire with a US plug on it to go into my laptop power pack?

Hi:

I've traveled with my US lap-top to Europe and it has run fine on 240v system. I just needed a plug adapter. When you get stateside, you might want to get the "wire" at an "Radio Shack" store. If you have time, I'm sure they can be found on the Internet.

Folinskyinla May 1st 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Anthony919 (Post 6290500)
By the way, I have found USA electrical outlets and plugs to be less secure than UK designs.

True enough. Outlets not switched and plugs not fused. Just like the continent. But I have never seen a GFCI in a UK bathroom/WC or the kitchen of a self-catered apartment.

BTW, last year I took my oldest laptop [ThinkPad 600] to Europe. [I didn't particularly care if it got stolen since it has no economic value]. It had a three-prong plug attached to the brick, but used a two prong adapter [no insults please]. The German plugs had a grounding clip on the side which the US grounding prong was in contact with while the Czech plugs did not. Go figure.

penguinsix May 1st 2008 11:06 am

Ooops.

By the way, that Ebay item is from a US plug to a UK wall / outlet / main, not the other way around (which is what you are looking for).