Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Convert US light fitting to UK fitting

Convert US light fitting to UK fitting

Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:30 am
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about
Default Convert US light fitting to UK fitting

I have been wondering if it's possible to convert a US 120 volt light fitting to a UK 240 volt (bayonet)?? We are looking at taking several wall lights home and would like to know if there is a company who sells or can convert the fittings and wires as appropriate?
Thanks,
Tony
Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:45 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convert US light fitting to UK fitting

Originally Posted by MrsG
I have been wondering if it's possible to convert a US 120 volt light fitting to a UK 240 volt (bayonet)?? We are looking at taking several wall lights home and would like to know if there is a company who sells or can convert the fittings and wires as appropriate?
Thanks,
Tony
You could do it yourselves if know how or you could probably get a repair man to change them when you get home. You have to change the bulb socket as well as the plug end.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Tony,
you don’t need to modify your lamps when you return to the UK, you will find US type screw-in light bulbs are widely available in the UK now, only in the UK they are called European type, IKEA sells so many lamps with screw-in bulbs. The only thing is I don’t believe you can buy multi filament bulbs in the UK.

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/detail.php?id=16

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/faq_bases.php
Old Aug 7th 2005, 6:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vimto
Tony,
you don’t need to modify your lamps when you return to the UK, you will find US type screw-in light bulbs are widely available in the UK now, only in the UK they are called European type, IKEA sells so many lamps with screw-in bulbs. The only thing is I don’t believe you can buy multi filament bulbs in the UK.

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/product/detail.php?id=16

http://www.thelightbulb.co.uk/faq_bases.php

Bayonet types are in the minority nowadays anyway.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boiler
Bayonet types are in the minority nowadays anyway.
Thanks to all for the replies - It looks like the 240 volt screw in bulbs are the way to go. I am assuming that because the power is the same the wiring doesn't need to be changed at all?? I am planning on taking some wall mounted lights (hard wired) and some table lamps so it's only the lamps that will need the plugs changed over to UK ones (easily done).
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsG
Thanks to all for the replies - It looks like the 240 volt screw in bulbs are the way to go. I am assuming that because the power is the same the wiring doesn't need to be changed at all?? I am planning on taking some wall mounted lights (hard wired) and some table lamps so it's only the lamps that will need the plugs changed over to UK ones (easily done).
Lamps show max Wattage

So basically it will just draw half the ampage with twice the voltage, no real difference as far as the cable is concerned.
Old Aug 8th 2005, 4:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lamps show max Wattage

So basically it will just draw half the ampage with twice the voltage, no real difference as far as the cable is concerned.
Practically yes, you'll be fine. But there is a big difference: unwanted heating in the cable is proportional to the square of the current. Hence, there could potentially be a problem taking a cable from a 240V system and using it in a 120V system.