Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Container shipping, sorry

Container shipping, sorry

Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Infowarrior will become famous soon enough
Default Container shipping, sorry

I know this comes up all the time, my apologies. We're shipping from UK-CA.

I've now had several quotes and they always come in at around 4-5K (GBP) for a 20ft container. I've had one for 2.8k from http://www.express-exports.co.uk/ and am wondering if these guys are genuine.

One joker wanted 2.5k for the shipping container then another 2k just to drive it 70 miles from Oakland to Santa Cruz!

Any ideas?

PS: Thanks for all your advice - and for this forum - it has been invaluable so far!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container shipping, sorry

To get get an accurate quote ask for the total cost from your post code in the UK to your zip code in the USA. It is not uncommon to be given a low quote just for the ocean freight and then tack on road haulage at both ends plus port handling fees. Who will be loading and unloading the container ? as the level of service will be a factor. 4 to 5K UKP seems very high I ship containers on a regular basis and from the UK to Central VA runs about $4500 for a 40 foot container a 20 footer only shaves a few dollar off. We do our own loading / unloading so that is for the freight only.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, yes I did give them both our UK postcode and USA zip. The quote seems really good as it includes customs fees, loading, unloading and delivery door to door.

I am just surprised that those guys undercut everyone by such a large margin. I think I'll now see if the other companies will try and beat the quote.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 6:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

have you checked who they are subbing the other end of the delivery too? moving scams website is worth checking out.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:27 am
Account Closed

Jools-Ann is an unknown quantity at this point

We paid around £5k back in September and I can highly recommend the people we used, Palmers of Windsor, they operate nationwide and were fabulous. Our stuff was so well packed and transported from our house to the shipping container (we had limited access). They really crammed the 20ft container and when it came off at this end there wasn't a single thing damaged.
Old Mar 27th 2011, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of pond scum shippers who will hold your possessions to ransom once they have the full container in their possession. The scam involves asking for more $$ in the form of junk extra inspection fees or vague import taxes. I've seen this scam reported on here enough times to believe it happens fairly regularly....
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

marzipan71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I was going to ask a similar question - I was wondering if you could share your experiences?

- which companies did you research?
- who were your top 3?
- who wouldn't you use?

Also, does anyone have any advice on how long this process takes? we leave in 5 weeks and haven't contacted shippers yet - is this enough time? We are moving our stuff from Hertfordshire to Seattle, to a storage facility there.

Any help with shippers and their relative merits would be very welcome! :-)

Many thanks!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marzipan71
Hi

I was going to ask a similar question - I was wondering if you could share your experiences?

- which companies did you research?
- who were your top 3?
- who wouldn't you use?

Also, does anyone have any advice on how long this process takes? we leave in 5 weeks and haven't contacted shippers yet - is this enough time? We are moving our stuff from Hertfordshire to Seattle, to a storage facility there.

Any help with shippers and their relative merits would be very welcome! :-)

Many thanks!
You're moving in 5 weeks!? Better get on with it then! Here are the quotes I've had so far. As you can see, this firm Express Exports is way ahead of the rest. I've even gone so far as to ask them WHY they're cheaper, they reply that they ship vast quantities to the USA so they're just competitive.

I've looked them up on Companies House and they have indeed been incorporated since 1974 so they obviously are doing something right. I would be interested to see if others get similarly competitive quotes. The only difference with them is you get no help to load the container, but that's not really an issue as we have family to help.

These prices are for a 20ft container (non-shared). Door to door delivery at both ends.

Express Exports - 2,300 GBP
Altantic International Ltd - 5,357 GBP
Simpsons Removals & Storage - 4,329 GBP
Freightworld International - 4,500 GBP
GB Liners - 4,100 GBP

We've decided to use Express Exports for our move. They require a 4-7 day notice period and they store the container at the port until the next ship departs. They'll co-ordinate it so that the storage charges at the port are minimised/eliminated.

I'm not affiliated with Express Exports btw!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

marzipan71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Container shipping, sorry

Hi!

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply!

Yes we are moving in 5 weeks - but we are currently living in a temporary rental having already sold the house. We have already boxed-up all our books and various possessions and are ready to go. We only have a couple of pieces of small furniture to move. Anyhow, that's the reason why I'm not so concerned as a mover could literally come in tomorrow and take all our stuff!

Anyhow, your info is most helpful. I too would be interested why they are the cheapest, as we usually end up going for the middle quote. So very interested to learn of your experiences. We will certainly get a quote from them. I was going to get three quotes so I will include them.

Out of interest, how long did the process take from contacting the company, to getting a quote, to them setting a date to come in and pick up your stuff? Can you tell them the date when you want your stuff picking up or do they tell you? We would obviously prefer the former!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Marzipan
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marzipan71
Hi!

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply!

Yes we are moving in 5 weeks - but we are currently living in a temporary rental having already sold the house. We have already boxed-up all our books and various possessions and are ready to go. We only have a couple of pieces of small furniture to move. Anyhow, that's the reason why I'm not so concerned as a mover could literally come in tomorrow and take all our stuff!

Anyhow, your info is most helpful. I too would be interested why they are the cheapest, as we usually end up going for the middle quote. So very interested to learn of your experiences. We will certainly get a quote from them. I was going to get three quotes so I will include them.

Out of interest, how long did the process take from contacting the company, to getting a quote, to them setting a date to come in and pick up your stuff? Can you tell them the date when you want your stuff picking up or do they tell you? We would obviously prefer the former!

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Marzipan
No problem, sounds like we're almost in the same situation as you. We're sitting here in an almost empty house with all our belongings sitting boxed up in a spare room. We have 4 plates, 2 saucepans and a handful of cutlery left in our kitchen to use!

That company worked quite quickly, we had quotes pretty much the next day. As far as I'm aware we can set a date for next week and they'll come and collect. They will work with you to set the optimum date to ensure that your stuff isn't sitting in storage. Basically if you are not waiting on anything they can come collect and it can be on the boat the same date.

Be aware that it will take 3 weeks to deliver the stuff. We are planning to send our container and fly somewhere during the middle of that 3 weeks so that we can find somewhere to stay and not be without our belongings for too long. I'm very nervous about finding somewhere to live at the other end. We're not sponsored by a company so I'm paying for all this out of savings.

I'd say just give them a call. They can answer your questions better than I. The website is:
http://www.express-exports.co.uk/

Do share your quote though. It will probably be higher since it will be going to Washington rather than California. Also depends on whether you can fit your stuff in a 20ft or need a 40ft.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I would be wary about packing the container yourself. These movers really know how to do it and have it down to a fine art. Of course, I am not saying you cannot do it yourself but I know when I moved (twice with a 40') there is no way we could have packed it all in or so well as what they did. The contents did not move an inch. Also, what are the insurance ramifications if it is self packed? Insurance companies don't like to insure items 'packed by owner's' so I am not sure how they handle a whole container. We paid approx £6500 for a 40' from Lincs to Houston by the way and that did include full insurance, not only total loss.
It is just something else to consider.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, same as last post. I'd check with the company about insurance. That seems a really quick turnaround if you ask me. We used a company called Doree Bonner, they came in the morning of the day before we were due to leave our house, packed everything up in the one day and I never saw my stuff again for 13 weeks . That was them putting it on the first available shipment that was coming to NY and even with them packing our stuff, we got stuffed with extra holding at customs and got charged another $400 or more if I remember right, for the privilege of it being released. If I remember right, our insurance came in at about 300 british pounds, but in saying all that, we had a shared container, I think it's quite a bit easier if you have your own container. Good luck to both you guys anyway with your moves. It'll all fall in to place but just something to consider - enjoy
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Infowarrior
You're moving in 5 weeks!? Better get on with it then! Here are the quotes I've had so far. As you can see, this firm Express Exports is way ahead of the rest. I've even gone so far as to ask them WHY they're cheaper, they reply that they ship vast quantities to the USA so they're just competitive.

I've looked them up on Companies House and they have indeed been incorporated since 1974 so they obviously are doing something right. I would be interested to see if others get similarly competitive quotes. The only difference with them is you get no help to load the container, but that's not really an issue as we have family to help.

These prices are for a 20ft container (non-shared). Door to door delivery at both ends.

Express Exports - 2,300 GBP
Altantic International Ltd - 5,357 GBP
Simpsons Removals & Storage - 4,329 GBP
Freightworld International - 4,500 GBP
GB Liners - 4,100 GBP

We've decided to use Express Exports for our move. They require a 4-7 day notice period and they store the container at the port until the next ship departs. They'll co-ordinate it so that the storage charges at the port are minimised/eliminated.

I'm not affiliated with Express Exports btw!
Ask how long you have to load the container before demurrage kicks in, if you do not have a loading dock there will be a lot of lifting. Even if you use empty boxes leave no empty space as they can be rough with the containers. You need a high security seal, if they not give you one ask them to sell you one. The container should not leave your sight unless it is sealed. Especially in the USA schedule delivery as early a possible in the morning, containers get very hot in summer.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

steve111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Ask how long you have to load the container before demurrage kicks in, if you do not have a loading dock there will be a lot of lifting. Even if you use empty boxes leave no empty space as they can be rough with the containers. You need a high security seal, if they not give you one ask them to sell you one. The container should not leave your sight unless it is sealed. Especially in the USA schedule delivery as early a possible in the morning, containers get very hot in summer.
Normally you only get 3 hours to load the container. All companies hold the container at the port awaiting the sailing of the next vessel. The container needs to be packed well as are craned around at the port. You should also check who will do the clearance etc and how long you have to unload the other end as well. It may also affect any insurance cover you may want.
Sometimes it may look good on price but often there are many pitfalls
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Gerber will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
To get get an accurate quote ask for the total cost from your post code in the UK to your zip code in the USA. It is not uncommon to be given a low quote just for the ocean freight and then tack on road haulage at both ends plus port handling fees. Who will be loading and unloading the container ? as the level of service will be a factor. 4 to 5K UKP seems very high I ship containers on a regular basis and from the UK to Central VA runs about $4500 for a 40 foot container a 20 footer only shaves a few dollar off. We do our own loading / unloading so that is for the freight only.
Hello.

Do you recommend any companies, since you're in the business? All my quotes have come in at well over £5000 for door to door 20ft UK-US, which (from my research) is extortionate. I'm still looking for other quotes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.