Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contact Lenses

Contact Lenses

Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact Lenses

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I pay $40 for 45 pairs of daily disposables at LensCrafters, which is after my health insurance plan's discount. Costco charges more for these. You can also check prices on LensCrafter's website. I also got a discount on my eye test and contact lens exam through my insurance.
The gf chucked the vision plan a year ago after they screwed her around. Calls around for a quote for an eye exam and script, then orders off 1800Contacts -- she uses the 1-month B&L ones. Reckons it's both cheaper and less hassle than the insurance company.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Most of those cheap contact places only come out cheaper if you buy a big lot of them, I prefer to buy them as needed, especially considering my previous experience of buying in bulk! Plus I use my FSA so it comes out even cheaper.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:05 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRose84
I guessed a UK prescription would have no credit in the US...
This is not necessarily true. I just used a faxed copy of my UK prescription with the optometrist's office and they gave me my lenses without question. That may have been the result of omission on their part, or maybe they're allowed to do it. It can't hurt to bring it with you and try, obviously.

It only takes 1-2 days to order most common lenses in, in my limited experience, and appointments for tests were easy to come by. So if you can get the lenses cheap, get whatever you want, but don't panic too much about being stranded.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that this differs by state.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:01 pm
Not a desperate housewife

EnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really niceEnglishRose84 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
This is not necessarily true. I just used a faxed copy of my UK prescription with the optometrist's office and they gave me my lenses without question. That may have been the result of omission on their part, or maybe they're allowed to do it. It can't hurt to bring it with you and try, obviously.

It only takes 1-2 days to order most common lenses in, in my limited experience, and appointments for tests were easy to come by. So if you can get the lenses cheap, get whatever you want, but don't panic too much about being stranded.
Great thanks for this, will definitely bring a copy over of my prescription and see.