Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contact lens supplier and/or lasik surgeon recommendations

Contact lens supplier and/or lasik surgeon recommendations

Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contact lens supplier and/or lasik surgeon recommendations

Hi there. Just back from Mexico, tanned, relaxed and the same weight (if not a couple of pounds less) due to Montezuma's Revenge!

I'm almost out of contact lenses, so I'm left with a couple of options, and one of them is to buy online. As I've never done this (either here or at home), any recommendations for a site?

And also, has anyone had lasik surgery in Texas who can recommend a consultant?

I'm seriously considering ditching the glasses & lenses for good, but don't know any consultants here sadly. I'd started my research and found two excellent ones in the UK, but that was just at the time we got the notice we were moving, so put it all on hold.

TIA

Mandana
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contact lens supplier and/or lasik surgeon recommendations

Originally Posted by Mandana
Hi there. Just back from Mexico, tanned, relaxed and the same weight (if not a couple of pounds less) due to Montezuma's Revenge!

I'm almost out of contact lenses, so I'm left with a couple of options, and one of them is to buy online. As I've never done this (either here or at home), any recommendations for a site?

I'm seriously considering ditching the glasses & lenses for good, but don't know any consultants here sadly. I'd started my research and found two excellent ones in the UK, but that was just at the time we got the notice we were moving, so put it all on hold.

TIA

Mandana
Once you get your eye's tested you can take your prescription anywhere. We found Costco to the cheapest to buy contacts from.

I had Lasik 7 yrs ago. I researched it for about a year before I decided to go through with it. I had a very bad astigmatism...the myopia was slight. I went to a eye doctor who performed Lasik on many TV celebs...in fact some of the procedures had been on TV. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Last week my daughter went to see the same doctor...she found out she's not a candidate for Lasik as she has thin corneas.

One of the reasons I chose him was while I was at his office for a consult he was turning people away. He will only perform the surgery if he is certain it is the correct procedure for you.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Once you get your eye's tested you can take your prescription anywhere. We found Costco to the cheapest to buy contacts from.

I had Lasik 7 yrs ago. I researched it for about a year before I decided to go through with it. I had a very bad astigmatism...the myopia was slight. I went to a eye doctor who performed Lasik on many TV celebs...in fact some of the procedures had been on TV. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Last week my daughter went to see the same doctor...she found out she's not a candidate for Lasik as she has thin corneas.

One of the reasons I chose him was while I was at his office for a consult he was turning people away. He will only perform the surgery if he is certain it is the correct procedure for you.
Thanks JG

I'm definitely a candidate for surgery - I'd got that far in the UK, but ran out of time to actually go ahead with surgery. I'd been researching (and mulling it over) for 7 years, and during that time newer procedures had come out and consultants gained experience.

In the meantime, while I find someone I'm happy with, I need contacts! I could always ask our British visitors to bring some when they arrive in 36 hours, but that's putting on them on their last day.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JG

I'm definitely a candidate for surgery - I'd got that far in the UK, but ran out of time to actually go ahead with surgery. I'd been researching (and mulling it over) for 7 years, and during that time newer procedures had come out and consultants gained experience.

In the meantime, while I find someone I'm happy with, I need contacts! I could always ask our British visitors to bring some when they arrive in 36 hours, but that's putting on them on their last day.
Do you have optical insurance? If you do they will provide you with a list of eye doctors for an eye test...then you can order contacts.

Be careful when you chose your lasik doctor...like I said one of the things that attracted me was that my doctor turned people away.

BTW my husband won't have the surgery...he won't take the risk of anything going wrong. For instance if he had trouble with night vision he wouldn't be able to drive and therefore wouldn't be able to do his job.

PM me if you want any more details.

We've taked about this subject before...I'll see if I can locate the threads.

Edit: Found it:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=Lasik

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 7th 2007 at 12:56 am.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:10 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Try and get the two-laser dealie if you can - no knives, and faster, cleaner healing.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 1:31 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Any eye surgeon worth his salt should be doing that anyway. Nothing worse than having patients who shouldn't have lasik or similar surgery back in the waiting room for corrective surgery, etc., complaining to other would-be patients in his/her waiting room...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

...In the meantime, while I find someone I'm happy with, I need contacts!...
I get mine from here and I've had no problems - but, they do ask for my optician's name/number and they call them to check my prescription. If you don't have a US based eye doctor you may have trouble getting an order accepted.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Philgr
I get mine from here and I've had no problems - but, they do ask for my optician's name/number and they call them to check my prescription. If you don't have a US based eye doctor you may have trouble getting an order accepted.
In NJ the optician you order contacts or glasses from has to have an original prescription. A photo copy/phone call/fax will not suffice.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

In NJ the optician you order contacts or glasses from has to have an original prescription. A photo copy/phone call/fax will not suffice.
Yeah - it's amazing how much consumer unfriendly protectionist legislation is allowed through. Can't imagine the Teamsters are involved with this one but it's I guess opticians must have a strong lobby group!

I think this company will contact your doctor and have them confirm the original prescription so they probably get around the restriction - but I'm in CA where the laws don't seem to be so strict.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Philgr
Yeah - it's amazing how much consumer unfriendly protectionist legislation is allowed through. Can't imagine the Teamsters are involved with this one but it's I guess opticians must have a strong lobby group!

I think this company will contact your doctor and have them confirm the original prescription so they probably get around the restriction - but I'm in CA where the laws don't seem to be so strict.
I've been told in NJ...it's state law that an original prescription has to be produced. No matter how long I live here it always amazes me the different laws from state to state.

When we were in San Fran....my husband took his broken lenses to an optician who then produced new lenses. It would never happen in NJ.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys.

Kicking myself I didn't trouble my step-daughter to bring some over from the UK now. Too late. She's mid flight now!

Going to have to put the Lasik on hold for a while (again). Just learnt that I might need back surgery (again), so want to get that sorted before tacking the top half of my body!

All I want are some bloody contacts! Why didn't I get a bumper lot before I left?? :curse:
Old Aug 8th 2007, 12:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks guys.

Kicking myself I didn't trouble my step-daughter to bring some over from the UK now. Too late. She's mid flight now!

Going to have to put the Lasik on hold for a while (again). Just learnt that I might need back surgery (again), so want to get that sorted before tacking the top half of my body!

All I want are some bloody contacts! Why didn't I get a bumper lot before I left?? :curse:
I don't understand...why can't you get an eye test and buy some? If it's a standard sort of prescription they may even have them in stock.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand...why can't you get an eye test and buy some? If it's a standard sort of prescription they may even have them in stock.
Exactly. It's not that hard.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:18 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

TIA

Mandana
i am to scared to go for laser/lasik surgery on my eyes. i use orthokeratology lenses, you wear them at night, they reshape your eyes and take them out in the morning, brilliant. i think in the us they are called corneal reshaping or somesuch.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm sure it's not hard to get them, it's just I'm down to my last 3 pairs now (thinking I had another box of each prescription left, but didn't) and thought I could just go online and order and Bob's your Uncle sort of thing.

Appears not to be the case!

Glasses it is then until I get the time to sort it out. No probs. Got visitors now so it'll have to wait until they go home in a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.