Reload this Page >

Considering a move to the US - Advice Please

Considering a move to the US - Advice Please

Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

owiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a move to the US - Advice Please

Hi,

I and my wife work for an American company in the UK. My wife had a L1 before and worked in the US for nearly a year. We both have around 10 years experience in the IT industry and hold Masters in Computer Science. I also have an MBA and several certifications. There is a possibility that my wife may be able to get a transfer to the US next year. The job is likely to be in Arizona / Florida.

We are mainly contemplating this move for a life-style change as we are both getting tired of housing in the UK . We have some friends in the US with similar backgrounds and they all seem to be living in big comfortable houses. I am not sure about the salaries for people with our experience and how easy it would be for me to find a job in Arizona as a Senior BA/PM (If I don't get a transfer).

How much do you think we can realistically save, if we both earn around 80-90k each. We are fairly frugal and don't go out a lot. We are hoping to find a good house for around $400,000 in a decent area. We will probably have around $100,000 in savings when we move. We want to save as much as possible to ensure a very good education for my child. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a move to the US - Advice Please

Originally Posted by owiz
I and my wife work for an American company in the UK.
Your best way to move is to use this to justify a transfer and L1 visas. Then seek greencard sponsorship.

Your other questions are irrelevant if you can't get the visa figured out.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 12:57 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you think we can realistically save, if we both earn around 80-90k each. We are fairly frugal and don't go out a lot. We are hoping to find a good house for around $400,000 in a decent area. We will probably have around $100,000 in savings when we move. We want to save as much as possible to ensure a very good education for my child. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Google is your friend. You can find mortgage calculators and income tax information quite easily - this will give you a good start in your budget estimates. Realtor.com and Zillow are good places to look at housing to get a feel for things.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Arizona is a better job target than Florida, especially in IT, and the housing market is ripe for the pickins' right now.

But, as I'm feeling a bit contrarian this morning, this recent story came to mind:

Tell the truth now. You have a formal dining room but eat at the breakfast nook. The living room with the vaulted ceiling sits empty while everyone piles into the family room. That third bathroom doesn't get visited more than once a week.

There's a lot of space that just doesn't get used, despite the labor and material required to build it and the money you're spending to heat and cool it. Looking at it, of course, is free.

Is that how you should be living?
Small houses go big-time
Old Dec 6th 2009, 6:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

How much do you think we can realistically save, if we both earn around 80-90k each. We are fairly frugal and don't go out a lot. We are hoping to find a good house for around $400,000 in a decent area. We will probably have around $100,000 in savings when we move.
I would say with that kind of income, you'd do REALLY well in Phoenix.

Rene
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

psb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nicepsb1821962 is just really nice

Hi,

I and my wife work for an American company in the UK. My wife had a L1 before and worked in the US for nearly a year. We both have around 10 years experience in the IT industry and hold Masters in Computer Science. I also have an MBA and several certifications. There is a possibility that my wife may be able to get a transfer to the US next year. The job is likely to be in Arizona / Florida.

We are mainly contemplating this move for a life-style change as we are both getting tired of housing in the UK . We have some friends in the US with similar backgrounds and they all seem to be living in big comfortable houses. I am not sure about the salaries for people with our experience and how easy it would be for me to find a job in Arizona as a Senior BA/PM (If I don't get a transfer).

A big house don't make you happy mate been there done that got the t shirt,people make you happy trust me the novelty wears off after a while,think hard not at what your leaving but who you will be leaving.I wish you good luck in whatever you do
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Big house of paper though ain't it...and more crap to clean...but whatever floats ones boat I suppose.

Thing to consider is utilities, insurance and taxes.

Heating/cooling can be a bit of an expense, insurance can be high or impossible to get, especially in parts of Florida...property taxes can also be high, especially in nice areas with good schools.

Quite a few threads on Florida you can search out depending on where you had in mine. Less for Arizona but there are a few.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whether you are able to adopt would be dependent on your countries laws.

There is the possibility of them then being able to immigate in the circumstances you describe. I would recommend consulting with a lawyer familiar with the country and immigration laws.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Whether you are able to adopt would be dependent on your countries laws.

There is the possibility of them then being able to immigate in the circumstances you describe. I would recommend consulting with a lawyer familiar with the country and immigration laws.
Possibly in the wrong thread or too much egg nog??
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lisa67
Possibly in the wrong thread or too much egg nog??
I wish, wonder which thread it should have gone in..
Never mind
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb1821962
A big house don't make you happy mate been there done that got the t shirt,people make you happy trust me the novelty wears off after a while,think hard not at what your leaving but who you will be leaving.I wish you good luck in whatever you do
Oh, come on... A big house is part of the "American Dream". It's one of the things that people look to emigrate for. What would be the point in moving to the US to find yourself living in a pokey two bedroom terraced house with no backyard? I could do that in England... Scratch that, I DID do that in England.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:22 pm
Account Closed

Been there, got to the point that a ride on Hoover would have been nice.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Oh, come on... A big house is part of the "American Dream". It's one of the things that people look to emigrate for. What would be the point in moving to the US to find yourself living in a pokey two bedroom terraced house with no backyard? I could do that in England... Scratch that, I DID do that in England.
Yeah but in Florida and Arizona you have to cool that giant house in the summer!

I would say go for a smaller house if you live in FL or AZ unless you can get "zoned" A/C. With electric bills going up it will get quite expensive to own a big house in either of those states. Also insurance and taxes are obviously higher in a larger house; I don't know about any natural disasters in AZ, but in FL hurricane insurance and taxes are easily another mortgage payment for some people.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Yeah but in Florida and Arizona you have to cool that giant house in the summer!

I would say go for a smaller house if you live in FL or AZ unless you can get "zoned" A/C. With electric bills going up it will get quite expensive to own a big house in either of those states. Also insurance and taxes are obviously higher in a larger house; I don't know about any natural disasters in AZ, but in FL hurricane insurance and taxes are easily another mortgage payment for some people.
Rattlesnakes?

It is possible to limit your energy use through sensible design in Arizona, I do not know about Florida.

However that is not typical of your average US house.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Rattlesnakes?

It is possible to limit your energy use through sensible design in Arizona, I do not know about Florida.

However that is not typical of your average US house.
There's nothing sensible about Florida.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.