British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The consequences of cost reduction (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/consequences-cost-reduction-671806/)

pcpfan Jun 9th 2010 9:02 pm

The consequences of cost reduction

This situation could happen anywhere but this is not the case. In the land were cheap labour is the key to industrialization, all is made and produced as cheap as possible. There are thousands of multinational European and America companies working there. Costs are rationalized in such a way that the products manufactured end up costing less than then shipping them to Europe. All is made at the lowest possible cost with a huge lack of Quality. Today I bring you the example of the consequences on reducing production/Quality costs. Fortunately no one died with the collapse of the balding as construction was in a final stage of production, so a major disaster was avoided, the entire structure simply fell, like a deck of cards... Somehow the foundations gave way but the building itself continues almost solid, the concrete used on the actual building at lest looks solid enough.

Check this out : http://zurcapital.blogspot.com/2010/...em-as-sua.html

tonrob Jun 9th 2010 9:12 pm

Re: The consequences of cost reduction

Does anyone fancy a pint?

lisag8070 Jun 9th 2010 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 8622828)

oh go on then pour us one and make sure its got a whisky chaser sat next to it...:thumbup:

Sally Redux Jun 9th 2010 9:18 pm

I'll drink to the collapse of the balding.

tonrob Jun 9th 2010 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8622839)

The collapse of what....?? Oooooh - you clicked the link...

Bob Jun 9th 2010 9:42 pm

Bit random....and several months past the last time this story made an appearance...I thought this at least might have been about the Foxconn suicides, that and them not paying money to families of those who commit suicide....

lisag8070 Jun 9th 2010 9:45 pm

Hey I'm dying of thirst over here..

Sally Redux Jun 9th 2010 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 8622889)

:beer::beer:

lisag8070 Jun 9th 2010 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8622893)
:beer::beer:

thanks Sally, have one yourself..:drinkwine:

lansbury Jun 9th 2010 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 8622889)

so with the balding on its side which is the door to the bar?

SDDep Jun 9th 2010 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8622839)

As my hairline is rapidly receding, I will also drink a coupla pints to the collapse of the balding...

SDDep Jun 9th 2010 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by pcpfan (Post 8622820)
This situation could happen anywhere but this is not the case. In the land were cheap labour is the key to industrialization, all is made and produced as cheap as possible. There are thousands of multinational European and America companies working there. Costs are rationalized in such a way that the products manufactured end up costing less than then shipping them to Europe. All is made at the lowest possible cost with a huge lack of Quality. Today I bring you the example of the consequences on reducing production/Quality costs. Fortunately no one died with the collapse of the balding as construction was in a final stage of production, so a major disaster was avoided, the entire structure simply fell, like a deck of cards... Somehow the foundations gave way but the building itself continues almost solid, the concrete used on the actual building at lest looks solid enough.

Check this out : http://zurcapital.blogspot.com/2010/...em-as-sua.html

And besides which, its China mate..are you really suprised...the land of cheap labor...

So no blaming the western world for any of this...(I'm not saying you were)..

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 10th 2010 4:40 am

I am waiting for Saturday, but will probably get some practice in on Friday.

pcpfan Jun 10th 2010 8:08 am

Well, I think I found the explanation for this http://www.engineering.com/Library/A...fall-over.aspx

Tarkak9 Jun 10th 2010 3:59 pm

Nah thanks, don't fancy a pint of cost reduction Pabst Blue Ribbon - my taste buds tend to collapse on sheer lack of quality control... even if its for 49c/pint. That's very socially irresponsible of me to support such a brewery...

Rain check - perhaps another time, another beer.

Tarkak9 Jun 10th 2010 4:04 pm

I dunno - quite Avante Garde for building a building to look like its on its side don't you think?? Clever Trevors, the lot of them.
I wonder what the interior is like.

Sally Redux Jun 10th 2010 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 8624580)
I dunno - quite Avante Garde for building a building to look like its on its side don't you think?? Clever Trevors, the lot of them.
I wonder what the interior is like.

Like the level in Tomb Raider II where she's in the sunken ship.

Tarkak9 Jun 10th 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8624614)
Like the level in Tomb Raider II where she's in the sunken ship.

...or like the Queen Elizabeth in HK Harbour.

robin1234 Jun 10th 2010 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by pcpfan (Post 8622820)

Now I know why those things are called flats.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 10th 2010 10:15 pm

My Steamworks beer has arrived, just in time.

snowbunny Jun 10th 2010 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8622927)
So no blaming the western world for any of this...(I'm not saying you were)..

Why not? We're the chief consumers of Chinese-made goods, and we buy them because they ARE cheap. Without us, the Chinese would be hungrier, possibly, but they wouldn't be in such harsh working conditions.

Do you think the average American shopper gives a shit about this?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...15642178?f=rss

It sickens me.

Sally Redux Jun 10th 2010 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8625238)
Why not? We're the chief consumers of Chinese-made goods, and we buy them because they ARE cheap. Without us, the Chinese would be hungrier, possibly, but they wouldn't be in such harsh working conditions.

It sickens me.

Good point.

SDDep Jun 11th 2010 2:04 pm

It sickens me.

I know exactly what you are saying...but there is a solution...I buy american every chance I get, and yes you can if you try and are willing to spend a bit extra, but its worth it, dont you think...

Oh and I buy English made too...have to support the home economy...

The rest of it is economics..and yes we are all responsible for that..

Steerpike Jun 14th 2010 6:19 am

It sickens me.

I hate to propagate the lame first post, but you do raise an interesting point. In this country, we have labor standards (minimum wage, minimum age, high safety standards, etc) and aggressive liability practices that scare most domestic manufacturers into producing reasonably safe products. But as a consequence, we have created an environment where other countries (in this case, China) can export products to us at a competitive price. These countries can have any labor laws they want, or none at all ... employing child labor for peanuts if they so desire. And they can produce relative crap ...

I think a bold approach to this would be to tax imports from foreign companies based on their compliance with US standards - but I can't imagine how one would implement such a strategy in a practical manner.

snowbunny Jun 14th 2010 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8631434)
I think a bold approach to this would be to tax imports from foreign companies based on their compliance with US standards - but I can't imagine how one would implement such a strategy in a practical manner.

I'd for all for it, but it isn't going to happen so long as China keeps buying up our debt.

chartreuse Jun 15th 2010 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8631434)
And they can produce relative crap ...

There's a song about that:

snowbunny Jun 15th 2010 5:40 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8633502)
There's a song about that:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8wbXAR4ZQ

Excellent!

Steerpike Jun 15th 2010 6:43 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 8633632)
Excellent!

+1!

So ... mind idly thinking about this ... cost of living in US = x; cost of living in China = y. Thus, equivalent minimum wage in China 'should be' (US minimum wage * y / x ). Assuming 'm' percent of a product's cost is labor, modified cost of Chinese product = (original cost * m ) * ... <ok, it's late and I can't be bothered to carry this on right now, but you get the idea ... :) > .... Then factor in a 'pollution' penalty since China does not have to comply with costly pollution restrictions, and a 'morality' penalty for employing child labor, and maybe a few other factors. I wonder just how much cheaper your Fisher-Price toy would be then?

snowbunny Jun 15th 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8633734)
I wonder just how much cheaper your Fisher-Price toy would be then?

I think the answer is that the West could do with fewer Fisher-Price toys and the East with more food and shelter. This is not something that corporations and governments are going to solve - what is in it for them? This is something individuals must do on their own. I mean, hasn't everyone heard of garage sales? where you can buy older toys that last longer than the new shite? I fear that the younger generations are too far gone with electronica and immediate gratification so that simple toys and books are no longer enough.