Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Connect for Health

Connect for Health

Old Oct 31st 2013, 1:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Connect for Health

I think I may going down with a cold, if so a day in bed should give me enough time to finish. The next step would be to go through the Medicaid site and then get a 'not eligible' result.

The data required for that site reminds me of the Immigration process, A number etc etc, , much of which I need to dig out.

No idea why the rate would change, factors are Age, Zip and for some reason Gender?

The Tax Payer contribution, well that is down to your estimate.

From what I gather it is not a seamless process, there are letters involved midway, yet again no idea why.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Spent a bit more time on the 'Covered CA' site today, running numbers for myself at various age levels - 54, 55, 64. This is what I found (for the 'Contra Costa' cost district): (note, 'n/a' may not really mean that; I may have skipped the info - I couldn't find easy ways to print all this so this was compiled by hand) ETA - I also skipped the 'platinum' for now but the plans do exist ....

Code:
Age 54         Bronze  Silver   Gold
Kaiser         436       585     711
Blue Shield    457       553     651
CCHP           502       593     664
Anthem         462       617     742

Age 55         Bronze  Silver   Gold
Kaiser         456       611     743
Blue Shield    477       577     680
CCHP           n/a       619     694
Anthem         n/a       645     775

Age 64         Bronze  Silver   Gold
Kaiser         613       822     999
Blue Shield    642       777     915
CCHP           706       833     933
Anthem         649       868     1043
Looks like I can expect a 34% increase as I go from 55 to 64 - about 3% per year.

Also came across this rather funny pro-Obamacare site (yes, they do exist!):
http://obamacarefacts.com/

And this is a pdf doc from the CA site that goes into quite a bit of detail on how it all works ...
https://www.coveredca.com/coverage-b...oklet-rev3.pdf
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:06 am
Account Closed

The cynic might comment that the Obamacarefacts was put together by the same people who did the Federal web site!

Harps on about that you can not be charged more for being female or having pre existing conditions, but as those numbers mention you can be discriminated on the basis of age? Ageism OK!

Future premiums are a total guess, Health Inflation, probably as far as the Exchanges are concerned the 'Death Spiral' is the biggie, for the individuals I guess the subsidies and any changes?

My CO charges seem similar, I am in a rural area and they get charged more it seems, the urban area of Colorado may be cheaper.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone clarify for me - when you hear all these stats about how many people have signed up on 'healthcare.gov', does that include people who've signed up on the various 'state' portals, such as 'connect for health' in CO, or 'Covered CA' in CA? If not, is there any way to see the sum total of all signups, including the state exchanges?

Related q - if I live in CA and am eligible to use 'Covered CA', could I use healthcare.gov instead? If not, does that imply that healthcare.gov is ONLY for those states that have chosen not to cooperate / participate in the state exchanges? So all this fuss over the website is due in part to the states that chose not to setup their own exchanges?

ETA - Partial answer from myself ... from http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ilure-yet.html

Just 106,856 Americans have chosen plans in the exchanges. Of those, 79,000 did so through state exchanges and 26,794 through the federal website. Nearly half of all sign-ups were in California and New York, which—not coincidentally—are two of the states that have worked hardest to build exchanges and implement key parts of the law. Overall, 82 percent of all enrollees came from blue states, a testament to the stark divide between states that support the law and states that oppose it. Only one red state has its own exchange: Kentucky. So far, it’s enrolled 5,586 people.

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 15th 2013 at 6:24 am.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

In the US each State controls its own Insurance Market, just like the DMV.

So Covered Colorado shows plans available in Colorado, premiums etc approved by the State. I think the policy wording is the same for all ZIP's, premiums certainly change by ZIP.

In those States who were not willing to put together their own Exchange, they do not have to, the Fed one applies. Yet again different premiums for different areas.

The 100,000 is the grand total, 70,000 or so throught the State Exchanges.

But they count not just those who have gone all the way and paid, but those who just got as far as putting a plan in their shopping basket. Not sure Amazon would get away with reporting on that basis!