British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Congratulations Queen Elizabeth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/congratulations-queen-elizabeth-760509/)

joto Jun 3rd 2012 11:22 pm

Re: Congratulations Queen Elizabeth

I must admit I had a tear in my eye when they sang Land of Hope and Glory. Phil was almost dancing when the orchestra played the Sailors Hornpipe tune. He looked as if he was really enjoying himself. It all looked great, apart from the rain and cold.

Nutek Jun 3rd 2012 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 10098393)
I must admit I had a tear in my eye when they sang Land of Hope and Glory. Phil was almost dancing when the orchestra played the Sailors Hornpipe tune. He looked as if he was really enjoying himself.

That was pretty cool. :)

Gotta wonder how much that took out of Phil and Queenie... I admire em for being able to stick with it, but that had to be pushing it a bit.

BEVS Jun 3rd 2012 11:31 pm

Great pics :)

I just so wish I was there .

Nutek Jun 3rd 2012 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10098399)
Great pics :)

I just so wish I was there .

Those are the times it would be nice to be back there. I'm a bit of a sucker for all that stuff. :)

Sheepdip Jun 4th 2012 12:33 am

That was a great thing to watch. The horsie thing on ITV afterwards was superb too. The Queen really seemed to be enjoying herself, bless her :thumbsup:

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2012 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Redwing (Post 10098367)
:thumbsup: I agree, great pics and looked great on TV. No other country can match Britain when it comes to pageanty. Makes you proud to be British.

I am always proud to be British...but today I was extra extra proud. ;)

I think the Queen and DOE are remarkable for their ages. They both stood on the boat for hours on end in the rain, wind and cold...God Save The Queen.

:crown::britflag::bluecrown::britflag::crown:

Yorkieabroad Jun 4th 2012 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10098151)
Dunno how she does it. Must have froze her ass off just standing there all that time.

Good job Queenie :)

You've been here too long - I think that you mean aRse :D

We were watching it on BBCA too - some rather odd sound on 226 (think it was being broadcast to the outer reaches of the galaxy!) but was OK on the HD channel. Was rather chuffed when we had to go out and my 9 year old asked if he could record it to watch the end later! He may be a born and bread Texan, but it shows he's still got some Brit in him!!

Mrs Danvers Jun 4th 2012 3:48 am

Oh, I thought it was lovely and wished I could have been back home for it too............also those lucky sods have a four day weekend back home!

Nutek Jun 4th 2012 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 10098598)
You've been here too long - I think that you mean aRse :D

I'm dropping my R's :(

Nutek Jun 4th 2012 5:09 pm

Looks like a day on the river was a bad idea.

Hope he is ok. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18325522

kimilseung Jun 4th 2012 5:15 pm

If you will forgive a post from a dissenting voice.

I watched 10 minutes on BBC of the Thames sail by; and was bored.
All in all, this is a time that I am pleased that I am in the US and able to avoid it all.

Lion in Winter Jun 4th 2012 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10099630)
If you will forgive a post from a dissenting voice.

I watched 10 minutes on BBC of the Thames sail by; and was bored.
All in all, this is a time that I am pleased that I am in the US and able to avoid it all.

Now you see I don't care about the Queen as a person. I do like the continuation of such a long, historic heritage. It was good to see the river full of boats again, just as for QEI. It's part of what makes us, us, this past, and I'm not at all sure we would be the same without it.

kimilseung Jun 4th 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10099729)
Now you see I don't care about the Queen as a person. I do like the continuation of such a long, historic heritage. It was good to see the river full of boats again, just as for QEI. It's part of what makes us, us, this past, and I'm not at all sure we would be the same without it.

I tried to join in, by giving it a chance, admittedly with Republican leanings, it is just beyond me. It is nice to have things when we can all be Brits together, but this is just one I can not feel part of. I will have to wait for Euro '12 (but I guess that is English not British)

Nutek Jun 4th 2012 6:26 pm

Most of the time I dont give a crap (about most things actually :) ), but I have a soft spot for the Queen.

She takes her job seriously and really does represent the country well IMO.

Unlike any possible alternative I can see (lolpolitician?).

Also, cake. :)

RICH Jun 4th 2012 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by joto (Post 10098393)
I must admit I had a tear in my eye when they sang Land of Hope and Glory. Phil was almost dancing when the orchestra played the Sailors Hornpipe tune. He looked as if he was really enjoying himself. It all looked great, apart from the rain and cold.

There was a brief shot of about 4 sailors (unofficially) bobbing up and down to that, on the front of the Queens barge. Then you saw Harry pointing them out to William. Shame the cameras did not focus on that. Best bit!