Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confusion about the US

Confusion about the US

Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:35 pm

hall5456 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Confusion about the US

Hi, Ihave read all teh stickies and wikis, as well as visited numerous emmigration sites about moving to the US and am now even more confused. Especially about just moving there because I want to emmigrate... I looked at the green card lottery scheme and it states only those from N.Ireland can apply, what is that about?

My situation is that I have a partner (not married) who is from Chicago. We have been together coming up on 3 years but she has moved back to complete her PhD. We left under the impression that I would join her in about a years time (this coming January). I landed a really great job since leaving post graduate studies, and although I still want to go I am unsure of which process to follow. My options seem to be either offer of employment, employers sending me abroad, investment, or the green card lottery. In which case I am buggered on all fronts since i have no offere of employment, my institute is UK based, I am skint so can't invest, and Wales, England, and Scotland are excluded from teh green card lottery!

Any wisdom and advice would be greatly appreciated...

oh and marriage is not an option (yet). Although moving there is a big commitment and to her, I am not prepared to over commit because the american visa process says so.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion about the US

Originally Posted by hall5456
oh and marriage is not an option (yet). Although moving there is a big commitment and to her, I am not prepared to over commit because the american visa process says so.
Quite right! So you'll not be living or working in the US in the near future.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:40 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

you actually summed it up well. you have the choices that you mention - so either start saving or move into a job where you can transfer etc.

or the easiest way is to get married.

If you dont want to yet then you will just have to wait until you manage one of the job things you mention or til you do feel like getting married.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:51 pm

yup, that's what I thought!

don't get me wrong, i would love to marry her but not just yet, and to do otherwise is unfair to her as well.

Maybe I could convince her to move to Canada and meet me at least a quarter of the way
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Could you do the long distance thing and then she could move back to the UK?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:01 pm

Unfortunately, she isn't keen on the UK, being here for 2.5 years may have put her off... which makes things difficult. I'm easier going about moving. For example, I used to live in New Zealand so moving won't be difficult, but because it will be for her then it it seems a bit unfair! Although, she could easily get in and nail a job in the UK, it always is for foreigners.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, she isn't keen on the UK, being here for 2.5 years may have put her off... which makes things difficult. I'm easier going about moving. For example, I used to live in New Zealand so moving won't be difficult, but because it will be for her then it it seems a bit unfair! Although, she could easily get in and nail a job in the UK, it always is for foreigners.
Both move to NZ, then. Nice compromise.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Both move to NZ, then. Nice compromise.
she's an American girl that loves her home and family... so there is only one way from heathrow, and that's left over the atlantic.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

and Wales, England, and Scotland are excluded from teh green card lottery!
The name of the program is the Diversity Lottery, "diversity" being the key word. Participation is open to people who were born in (or can claim through parents or spouse) a country that doesn't send tons of people to the US through other routes.

If you're actually interested, you should research it further, since citizenship is not the basis for the selection.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

yup, that's what I thought!

don't get me wrong, i would love to marry her but not just yet, and to do otherwise is unfair to her as well.

Maybe I could convince her to move to Canada and meet me at least a quarter of the way
Well this is the situation many people on here were faced with, the simple fact is that you are almost certainly going to need to get married if you want to be together. If you just want to move to the US and are not sure about her then this is the wrong move.

But if you guys really want to be together then you are going to have to do the long distance thing until you decide to pop the question - even then you will probably have nearly a year before you are together permenantly.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:34 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Basically you need to realize that you are starting with a position that the US really doesn't want you to live here. After you understand that, the crazy level of regulations start to make sense.

One other option not mentioned is if you have the resources to continue your studies here in the US you could come over for a year or two on a student visa. It might give you a better answer to whether or not you should get married.

I also think it is worth noting she wasn't that thrilled with the UK. That may become an issue if your relationship does go to the next level (this board is filled with situations of spouses loving one another but disliking their location)
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Debs71 is an unknown quantity at this point

you could go to the U S for 3months with no problems maybe then when youve lived together in usa, for 3months, you may get a better idea what the next step is for you both. this way you dont get into this immigration buisness if its not for you.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:42 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Basically you need to realize that you are starting with a position that the US really doesn't want you to live here. After you understand that, the crazy level of regulations start to make sense.
I know it doesn't sound very nice, but that is really the truth, isn't it. How does MrF put it? The rules are written to keep everyone out with a very few exceptions.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by zebbs
you could go to the U S for 3months with no problems maybe then when youve lived together in usa, for 3months, you may get a better idea what the next step is for you both. this way you dont get into this immigration buisness if its not for you.
Its fine to come out for 90 days, but during that time he cannot work so unless he can take long holidays I guess he would need to quit his job.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longy
Its fine to come out for 90 days, but during that time he cannot work so unless he can take long holidays I guess he would need to quit his job.
Which would make it tricky getting admittance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.