Confusion

Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confusion

Originally Posted by Toontje
Danku.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:42 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

While driving around Texas I noticed a thing that kind of boggled my mind. So I did some research (yes, I was bored) and "discovered" the following (it's all in Texas btw):

You'd expect the city of Franklin to be in Franklin County, but noooooo, it's in Liberty County.
So you'd expect the city of Liberty to be in Liberty County, but noooooo, it's in Milam County.
So you'd expect the city of Milam to be in Milam County, but noooooo, it's in Sabine County.
So you'd expect the city of Sabine to be in Sabine County, but noooooo, it's in Jefferson County.
So you'd expect the city of Jeffersonto be in Jefferson County, but noooooo, it's in Marion County.
So you'd expect the city of Marion to be in Marion County, but noooooo, it's in Guadalupe County.
So you'd expect the city of Guadalupe to be in Guadalupe County, but noooooo, it's in Victoria County.
So you'd expect the city of Victoriato be in Victoria County, but noooooo, it's in Limestone County.
Finally you'd find the city of Limestone where you would least expect it: in Limestone County.

Anyone else bored enough to compose such a list for his/her own state?
Does it help to know that the town of Burnet, is in (and indeed is the county seat) of Burnet County (though it is not pronounced Bern-ett as one might think, rather Burn-it). Llano is also the ccounty seat of Llano county TX.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Does it help to know that the town of Burnet, is in (and indeed is the county seat) of Burnet County (though it is not pronounced Bern-ett as one might think, rather Burn-it). Llano is also the ccounty seat of Llano county TX.
I know, twas part of my "research".

And no, it doesn't help.

C'mon, give me some examples of the state where you're living!
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jenster
Some clarification - The Netherlands is made up of various provinces, of which Holland makes two - north holland and south holland. The other provinces include Friesland and Flevoland. So when you say Holland you're not technically referring to the whole country. Confusing eh?
I still don't know why they're called Dutch though...!
Like the Amish are called 'Pennsylvania Dutch'; speaking a dialect of German. German=Deutsch=Dutch. Wikipedia says Dutch comes from archaic Deitsch- Germanic speaking people in Europe.
And.....Amish call other non-Amish Americans....... English!
Old Dec 17th 2006, 6:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ironporer

yes i knew that one coz hubs was born there poor sod
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yes i knew that one coz hubs was born there poor sod
Nobody gets to choose where (s)he will be born.....
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:17 pm
Account Closed

Nobody gets to choose where (s)he will be born.....
so true toon and that's why i count myself very lucky to be born where i was
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:25 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

True. To 9 out of 10 people I have to explain that the Netherlands is right between the UK and Germany. They wouldn't have a clue where it would be if I didn't tell them.
Forgive my presumptuousness, but I'm pretty sure that there is a bit of water between the UK and the Netherlands, and the two landmasses haven't been contiguous to one another since the Ice Age. I might just have to Google this one...
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Forgive my presumptuousness, but I'm pretty sure that there is a bit of water between the UK and the Netherlands, and the two landmasses haven't been contiguous to one another since the Ice Age. I might just have to Google this one...
yeah, but there still pretty close by...
Old Dec 17th 2006, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

hey well done...not forgotten your geography or sense of humour
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Toontje, I suppose you could expect your new home town of Austin to be in Austin County, but it's not. Austin County is way over toward Houston.

Also, to Ironporer: the local mantra here in Austin, refering to Burnet Rd and to the town of Burnet = "it's Burn-it, durn it ... lurn it!"

While driving around Texas I noticed a thing that kind of boggled my mind. So I did some research (yes, I was bored) and "discovered" the following (it's all in Texas btw):

You'd expect the city of Franklin to be in Franklin County, but noooooo, it's in Liberty County.
So you'd expect the city of Liberty to be in Liberty County, but noooooo, it's in Milam County.
So you'd expect the city of Milam to be in Milam County, but noooooo, it's in Sabine County.
So you'd expect the city of Sabine to be in Sabine County, but noooooo, it's in Jefferson County.
So you'd expect the city of Jeffersonto be in Jefferson County, but noooooo, it's in Marion County.
So you'd expect the city of Marion to be in Marion County, but noooooo, it's in Guadalupe County.
So you'd expect the city of Guadalupe to be in Guadalupe County, but noooooo, it's in Victoria County.
So you'd expect the city of Victoriato be in Victoria County, but noooooo, it's in Limestone County.
Finally you'd find the city of Limestone where you would least expect it: in Limestone County.

Anyone else bored enough to compose such a list for his/her own state?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:34 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

True. To 9 out of 10 people I have to explain that the Netherlands is right between the UK and Germany. They wouldn't have a clue where it would be if I didn't tell them.
How many of them thought you were talking about Peter Pan?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:35 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
that's presumin' they knew where the UK and Germany were
True, had one person say to me "Germany is part of the UK isn't it?"
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
True, had one person say to me "Germany is part of the UK isn't it?"
always makes me laugh...but then the same for the divs in the UK who haven't heard of Mass and think that Boston and NY are the east coast...well there probably onto somin', but all the same *lol*