Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confirmation of information gleaned from this forum

Confirmation of information gleaned from this forum

Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Confirmation of information gleaned from this forum

Hello!

I've been lurking around BE for a while, & have found many sound answers to questions relating to *my* situation (Canada & MBTUK forums mainly). Thank you all :-)

I've just spent the better part of too many hours researching this particular forum, not for myself, & *think* I understand... So am asking what I hope will be questions requiring "yes" or "no" answers to not waste your time.

BACKGROUND
I have a young (under 30) UKC relative who has decided to visit USA, & Canada, for a longish trip, which, in the planning stages, involved working temporarily in the US to earn some money, then visiting a G'friend & me in Canada.

He does not hold a visa permitting work for either country. When I pointed out that this was a problem, he went on line, checked, & then asked me if I thought he could pitch up in the US, then find work & regularize his situation. I said NO!!!! Am I correct?

He repeated the question for Canada, OT for this forum, but my answer was similar, & I pointed him towards the IEC. Then I learned he is ineligible because of *at least* 1 DUI...

Despite the above, he is Hellbent on travelling, very soon (has already bought ticket (s?). So my questions:

Am I right that:

US land/air border control & CDN land border control share information?

A denial of entry by one of the above may reflect negatively on the possibility of right to enter the other?

Such a denial may impact negatively on future plans to travel to one or the other countries?

A DUI might not be a hindrance to entry to the US?

However some DUI convictions might be classed as CIMT, & as such preclude travel to US on VWP?

(I think I know that any DUI bars him from Canada without going through rehabilitation)

As a young (under 30) traveller, who has spent less than 4 out of the last 15 months in the UK, with no current job, no fixed abode other than a parental address, no fixed travel plans other than "seeing my g'friend, visiting my relative" ( both in Canada), am I right in thinking he is likely to throw up red flags at US POE?

A denial/refusal of entry to the US is likely to screw-up his travel plans for a long time/result in cancellation of being able to use VWP for the foreseeable future, right?

And finally, Am I being too negative, or just realistic? ;-)

I really don't want to squash his enthusiasm for seeing the world, but am worried at his seemingly niaive attitude regarding "winging" some of the strictest border controls in the world.

Thank you for reading :-)

SB
Old Dec 14th 2013, 8:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confirmation of information gleaned from this forum

He does not hold a visa permitting work for either country. When I pointed out that this was a problem, he went on line, checked, & then asked me if I thought he could pitch up in the US, then find work & regularize his situation. I said NO!!!! Am I correct?
Yes

Without wishing to answer all the other question individually, you paint a picture of someone with little ties to the UK and wanting to lie to gain entry to the US. If he is refused, he'll be flown back and will need a visa to attempt to enter the US again. He should really educate himself - point him in the direction of us and we'll do it for you

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 14th 2013 at 8:04 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yes

Without wishing to answer all the other question individually, you paint a picture of someone with little ties to the UK and wanting to lie to gain entry to the US. If he is refused, he'll be flown back and will need a visa to attempt to enter the US again. He should really educate himself - point him in the direction of us and we'll do it for you

Thank you for such a prompt reply! Your analysis mirrors mine:-(

Already provided links & hints to BE, as soon as I made said analysis (which *might* be wrong) I just don't want him to screw up;-) Unfortunately, don't think he will actually show up here as it appears he is not interested in *facts* but rather in "hearing" validation of what he *wants* to hear:-(

(He may be using my world travel exploits as a barometer, unfortunately for him, mine were circa 20 + years ago, legal, & never involved the US)

I have already shared my experiences of POE questioning (& secondary) in Canada as a PR, & US as a legitimate visitor...
SB
Old Dec 14th 2013, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Despite the above, he is Hellbent on travelling, very soon (has already bought ticket (s?).
While I'm sure you want to help, I respectfully suggest you step away from this situation and let nature take its course. If something goes wrong (as it no doubt will), he will blame you for not researching and helping more... and no good deed goes unpunished.

Ian
Old Dec 15th 2013, 12:11 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a photo which may help to illustrate the intended scenario more clearly:
Attached Thumbnails Confirmation of information gleaned from this forum-train-wreck.jpg  
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks you Ian & Material Controller,

I have indeed stepped very far away from the situation. I have no desire whatsoever to either witness or be involved in the coming train wreck.

SB