Condo in Chicago area

Wikiposts

Condo in Chicago area

Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Condo in Chicago area

Originally Posted by Bs3704
The East Bay and Oakland does have a bit more for sure but it's still pockets. I just don't know Oakland as well, but some folk swear by it. I think the same rules apply. If I was to move that way, (and if there's ever a bargain in the Oakland Hills area), I know I'd be warier but that's just because of my lack of local feel. There's good and safe places everywhere - perhaps house price is a good guide....
I agree its generally the lack of local feel. I live in one of the worst areas in Sydney but I feel OK. I know which streets to avoid and what time to avoid.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
In my opinion, there is an incorrect impression of Chicago as being a very violent city. If using the following link and comparing to Detroit Michigan, Memphis Tennessee, Cleveland Ohio, Atlanta Georgia, Kansas City Missouri, or Dallas Texas, Chicago is overall a safer city. Comparing with San Francisco or Los Angeles, Chicago is only marginally more violent and Chicago is about the same as Miami Florida. However comparing with San Jose or New York, those two are overall the safest US large cities.

All cities have high crime areas and very safe areas.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/com...=Detroit&s2=MI

The following is a map of crime in different neighborhoods in Chicago.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...e_map_2006.png
You post is about chicago city itself not other suburbs around that. What would you say about the Napperville area?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 12:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by e3geek
..... What would you say about the Napperville area?
For starters, after 90 posts, you still don't seem to have noticed that you're misspelling it.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For starters, after 90 posts, you still don't seem to have noticed that you're misspelling it.
Naperville?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Naperville?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

What would you say about the Napperville area?
Burbsville. Like Stepford on steroids. Great public schools unfortunately stuffed with stuck-up, rich white kids spending their parents moolah. Wouldn't advise it unless you're earning more than $150K.

I have an apartment in Edgewater and love the area. Very diverse, close to the lake and 20 mins from Downtown. If you're a single bloke sans sprogs I'd give the burbs a miss.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You post is about chicago city itself not other suburbs around that. What would you say about the Napperville area?
I don't know anything about Naperville. I was just trying to indicate that people seem to have the incorrect impression that crime in the city is extremely bad and to not live in the city proper due to crime but instead there are many safe areas.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
I don't know anything about Naperville. I was just trying to indicate that people seem to have the incorrect impression that crime in the city is extremely bad and to not live in the city proper due to crime but instead there are many safe areas.
Thanks. I haven't actually considered living in the city at all. I was more inclined towards Naperville or Evanston which are the burbs. But recently I have come across a sublease ad on craigslist in the presidential tower which is in the Loop. The sublease is only for 2 months so I might actually take it up while I search something a bit more permanent for myself.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

But recently I have come across a sublease ad on craigslist in the presidential tower which is in the Loop. The sublease is only for 2 months so I might actually take it up while I search something a bit more permanent for myself.
In case you are not aware, exercise extreme caution with places you find on Craigslist. Subleases, in particular, are notorious for scammers. Do not give them any money until you are on the ground and meet them/see the place; have a back-up place to stay.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by retzie
In case you are not aware, exercise extreme caution with places you find on Craigslist. Subleases, in particular, are notorious for scammers. Do not give them any money until you are on the ground and meet them/see the place; have a back-up place to stay.
Yes, I have no plan to give any money to that guy before I land. I will go to a hotel and will then take that guy with me to the management of presidential towers who will then transfer the lease to my name. That is the plan discussed with him.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lbjen
Now this place, this is more of a deal. Right in the middle of the loop, literally walk to everything, and cheap enough that you can keep it and rent it out once you move out to the burbs.

http://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/182.../home/18938569
Have a look at this.
http://www.trulia.com/property/31222...icago-IL-60660

Does this one look like a deal to you?