Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Condo in Chicago area

Condo in Chicago area

Old Nov 24th 2013, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

e3geek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Condo in Chicago area

Hi guys, I have recently got my visa approved and I will now be moving to Chicago for work from Sydney Australia. I was looking at rental condos in and around Chicago land and stumbled across quite a few condos for sale in the area. Coming from a city like Sydney where property prices are on fire the prices in Chicago land are tempting, the least I can say.

A condo sold in Sydney for 300K in a cheap area is available for 50K around Chicago in a nicer suburb. I was looking at trulia and found heaps of them.

http://www.trulia.com/property/31383...-60202#photo-5

Evanston is considered one of the best areas to live around Chicago. It is on the north side and very safe area. Can anyone comment on it if I am missing something here. This sounds too good to be true. What could be the catch?

Although I am not a US perm resident yet but this still sounds a good investment. If there is not catch in it can you list all the steps that I need to take to acquire one of such condos like:

- talk to a realtor
- visit the property
- arrange money/loan
- arrange a lawyer
- investigate property financial obligations
- settlement
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:01 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Condo in Chicago area

Originally Posted by e3geek
Hi guys, I have recently got my visa approved and I will now be moving to Chicago for work from Sydney Australia. I was looking at rental condos in and around Chicago land and stumbled across quite a few condos for sale in the area. Coming from a city like Sydney where property prices are on fire the prices in Chicago land are tempting, the least I can say.

A condo sold in Sydney for 300K in a cheap area is available for 50K around Chicago in a nicer suburb. I was looking at trulia and found heaps of them.

Evanston is considered one of the best areas to live around Chicago. It is on the north side and very safe area. Can anyone comment on it if I am missing something here. This sounds too good to be true. What could be the catch?

Although I am not a US perm resident yet but this still sounds a good investment. If there is not catch in it can you list all the steps that I need to take to acquire one of such condos like:

- talk to a realtor
- visit the property
- arrange money/loan
- arrange a lawyer
- settlement
I know the one thing you don't need is a lawyer. The realtor handles everything.

Rene
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

So I am not looking at a dodgy website. The prices are all real?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 9:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

- talk to a realtor
- visit the property
- arrange money/loan
- arrange a lawyer
- settlement

$50K for a condo sounds very suspicious to me...especially in one of the US's largest cities. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Chicago will comment further. Check out the monthly condo fees...what do they cover...is there money in the reserve to cover major repairs? What are the annual property taxes?
Old Nov 24th 2013, 11:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
$50K for a condo sounds very suspicious to me...especially in one of the US's largest cities. Perhaps someone who is familiar with Chicago will comment further. Check out the monthly condo fees...what do they cover...is there money in the reserve to cover major repairs? What are the annual property taxes?
+1 Agreed. Just looking at the link, some of the schools are rated 2/10 and 3/10, averaging 4/10. Poor schools are often a symptom of wider social or demographic issues that make the area less than desirable. On a condo the fees can be very high, to cover repairs to the outer shell of the building and the common areas. It is also unit #3, which looking at the picture is likely a ground floor, or even basement level unit. I see lots to be concerned about without even visiting the property.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yeah - What she said!

Condos in the City go for 200K Northwards, usually.

Jim.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Yeah - What she said!

Condos in the City go for 200K Northwards, usually.

Jim.
This one is in Evanston.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

This one is in Evanston.
50K still seems cheap. The Burbs are usually in the 125-175 range, for a Condo. Piss-Poor Public Transportation in the area. Not set-up like Europe.

So, choose wisely depending on where you will be working/living and what you intend to do with your free time.

Jim.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks... Not in a hurry but trulia shows heaps of such condos. I really mean heaps.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... trulia shows heaps of such condos. I really mean heaps.
There is a reason for that.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 12:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

First very general comment, if you are a single guy, you can reasonably choose to live in an area with cheaper property where you probably wouldn't choose to live as a family with school considerations etc. I personally do not know Evanston at all, but I was under the impression it was a relatively desirable place with good train links to Chicago and elsewhere.

One thought about surprisingly cheap condos; those older buildings are often cheaper because the units have just one bathroom. Not really desirable by modern standards. I know that's what most of us had when we grew up, but now we want that second bathroom!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

This one is in Evanston.
Evanston's an expensive burb about 30-40 mins from downtown. Also a big student town hosting Northwestern University. They've just built a load of new apartments at the south end of the town which are renting for silly money. I'd be very surprised if you could buy for 50 grand.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
50K still seems cheap. The Burbs are usually in the 125-175 range, for a Condo. Piss-Poor Public Transportation in the area. Not set-up like Europe.

So, choose wisely depending on where you will be working/living and what you intend to do with your free time.

Jim.
Public transport's not too bad. Purple Line runs to Evanston with plenty of good connections.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 2:57 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macca67
Evanston's an expensive burb about 30-40 mins from downtown. Also a big student town hosting Northwestern University. They've just built a load of new apartments at the south end of the town which are renting for silly money. I'd be very surprised if you could buy for 50 grand.
And yet, it is so. Plenty of one and two be apartments in that price range.

Here's a thing about buildings of that age, built in the 1950s and 1960s. Someone's aged parent may have died, the family just want to sell the apartment, after having simply cleaned it out. No redecorating, no new carpets, no new bathroom or kitchen. They just want to sell the place, and not have to pay taxes and fees any longer. That may be why it is $50,000 instead of $150,000.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 3:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Check to see if there's any back tax owned.

The missus knows someone in a similar situation who quickly bought a bargain for $40K in cash and a year later got hit with $300K in back taxes :/

But anyway, then you've got other condo fee's which could be several hundred a month.

Plus all the other issues mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.