Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computing in the USA

Wikiposts

Computing in the USA

Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

robertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nicerobertuk111 is just really nice
Default Computing in the USA

Hello all, just moved to Boulder, CO on a computing scholarship. I love the Internet speeds and availability of Wi-Fi and broadband, ie around 10-20Mbs. Is this normal for other states? Do eg other states' Internet cafes offer similar speeds and facilities? Is there Wi-Fi/broadband at your local Starbucks?
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:03 pm
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice
Default Re: Computing in the USA

Originally Posted by robertuk111
Hello all, just moved to Boulder, CO on a computing scholarship. I love the Internet speeds and availability of Wi-Fi and broadband, ie around 10-20Mbs. Is this normal for other states? Do eg other states' Internet cafes offer similar speeds and facilities? Is there Wi-Fi/broadband at your local Starbucks?
Starbucks question, that's my expertise. Starbucks finally offers free Wi-Fi. I know in the UK, you have to use your Starbucks card to sign in, but here in the US, you just go. It's great! A lot of places offer free Wi-Fi as well. I even passed a hair salon the other day advertising their new free Wi-Fi.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Several of the Starbucks I've encountered will (still) charge for Wifi. Some of the local coffee shops that also serve better coffee don't, so they'll get my business when I need my coffee fix (which admittedly is fairly rare).

The main issue with Internet access here is that you tend to get it from near-monopoly providers; if you're lucky, the phone company will be able to supply DSL and the cable co usually supplies and Internet connection at higher speeds. All that depends very much on where you live, out here in my area it's cable or dial-up...
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

dsl where I am maxes out at about 2.5Mbs. Too many people, too old structure. But yes, Starbucks have free wifi, but you have to get a code.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:45 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

While traveling about I've been able to take my laptop to the pub, coffee shop or (more likely) pub next door to a coffee shop and download TV programmes via BitTorrent to watch in the hotel later. I've generally found public Wifi reasonably fast (apart from in airports - 45 minutes to download Eastenders at Boston Logan!)
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:45 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
45 minutes to download Eastenders at Boston Logan!)
45 minutes isn't wasting your time.

the half hour to watch Eastenders is.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
dsl where I am maxes out at about 2.5Mbs. Too many people, too old structure. But yes, Starbucks have free wifi, but you have to get a code.
We have DSL at the moment but in 9 days time we are hooking up to Fios....35 MB.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:04 am
Americano

nejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nicenejicano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have DSL at the moment but in 9 days time we are hooking up to Fios....35 MB.
We've got FIOS at mine. It's wonderful, you'll love it! If you don't already, you'll get BBC America. Hello, Doctor Who and Top Gear! <3
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nejicano
We've got FIOS at mine. It's wonderful, you'll love it! If you don't already, you'll get BBC America. Hello, Doctor Who and Top Gear! <3
I've stopped watching BBC America...the programs are so old and I've probably already seen them.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:23 am
Americano

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I've stopped watching BBC America...the programs are so old and I've probably already seen them.
Fair point; I haven't seen all of Top Gear, so it works for me. How fast to they generally get the new programmes aired in America after the UK?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by nejicano
Fair point; I haven't seen all of Top Gear, so it works for me. How fast to they generally get the new programmes aired in America after the UK?
I'm not interested in Top Gear.

Some of the programs are decades old and they just keep showing the same old same old. TBH it may have changed now because I've not even bothered with BBCA for around 2 years.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:53 am
Americano

HA, I remember before I left, there were some shows on there that (to this day) I've not heard of. I think it's changed though; Doctor Who is totally up to date, but beyond that they don't play a lot. Star Trek, which I found a bit odd, Doctor Who, Top Gear, BBC World News, Being Human, and that's about all I can remember. I think I managed to find Newsnight on another channel (one of the news ones), and that was quite exciting. Jeremy Paxman is a legend.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I have comcast cable which typically indicates about 14 mb.

You can use the following link to determine different connection speeds in areas around the world. Click on "World Results" and then "Search All" to select different regions.

http://www.speedtest.net/

In "World Results" at the bottom of the page, it lists average speed in different countries and the US ranks 28th.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
45 minutes isn't wasting your time.

the half hour to watch Eastenders is.
I miss Eastenders!!!
Old Nov 13th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I miss Eastenders!!!
I still watch it. If we hadn't moved over here in the summer when every single US TV channel was on hiatus and just showing endless repeats of repeats, I wouldn't have bothered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.