Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Computer question..

Computer question..

Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer question..

My laptop died this morning :-( - well I'm hoping it was the power supply! The wire that goes from the plug socket to the laptop itself has a tiny little thing at the end that connects into the laptop and it kept coming loose from the wire - but when I plug the power supply in the green light still comes on but the laptop is totally dead. Is this something that I would have to go to Sony to replace or is it just something I could pick up in like say, Radio Shack - and anyone know if it's expensive? Just figured I would ask first here and look stupid rather than in the store

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:41 pm
Can't Wait To Get There

pedro66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

If the laptop is 100% dead ie. no lights or anything then chances are its the power supply especially if the plug that goes into the unit is loose.

If its just a loose plug and if you are handy with a soldering iron you can replace it yourself or a TV repair shop could do it in a few minutes. Usually the are the round type plugs with a hole in the center and you can match it up at Radio Shack.

If its a multi pin plug then it is more complicated as the plug may only be made for that laptop in which case you will only be able to buy a complete unit from the manufacturer.

If this is the case then eBay will possible save you loads of money especially if it is a Sony.

There are companies that make OEM replacements or you could look at one of the auto/air power supplies available again from Radio Shack or off the internet, just make sure you buy one with the mains power option.

Hope this helps and I didnt waffle too much
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer question..

Originally posted by Lesley1020
My laptop died this morning :-( - well I'm hoping it was the power supply! The wire that goes from the plug socket to the laptop itself has a tiny little thing at the end that connects into the laptop and it kept coming loose from the wire - but when I plug the power supply in the green light still comes on but the laptop is totally dead. Is this something that I would have to go to Sony to replace or is it just something I could pick up in like say, Radio Shack - and anyone know if it's expensive? Just figured I would ask first here and look stupid rather than in the store

Thanks!
You don't by any chance know anyone with the same model laptop as you, do you?
Reason is you could just borrow their battery and plug it into yours. If the computer lights up then it was the charger and most probably just the plug (the little bit that plugs into the computer). If it doesn't work then it's more serious since the laptop itself is broke.

Andy.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lesley1020

Thanks!
If it IS the power supply that's at fault you could as previously suggested, try and solder on the plug (or ask a 'friend' to) or you could buy a universal supply from Best Buy. Either would be a helluva lot cheaper than going to Sony!!!

HTH,
ANdy.
Old Jun 10th 2004, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndySmithers
If it IS the power supply that's at fault you could as previously suggested, try and solder on the plug (or ask a 'friend' to) or you could buy a universal supply from Best Buy. Either would be a helluva lot cheaper than going to Sony!!!

HTH,
ANdy.
Thanks! Looks like it has died - took it to both Radio Shack and Best Buy last night and they put a new little plug on and tried a whole new power supply adaptor and neither did the trick.

Guess I'll have to put off getting the AC on the car looked at for another month - my computer is the main way I communicate with everyone at home so I can't be without it!
Old Jun 10th 2004, 5:57 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley - please take my advice - Don't buy another second hand laptop

if you have the space get a cheap desktop - you can get them new for about $4-500
Old Jun 10th 2004, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by BritGuyTN
Lesley - please take my advice - Don't buy another second hand laptop

if you have the space get a cheap desktop - you can get them new for about $4-500
Oh you can be sure I won't be! Gonna stick whatever I can aside this month and then next and get a desktop ASAP - meantime I can always get online briefly from work :-)