Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compulsory ID Poll

View Poll Results: Should compulsory ID be brought into law ?
I agree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
53.03%
I disagree that everyone should be required to carry ID.
46.97%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Compulsory ID Poll

Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compulsory ID Poll

Originally Posted by Rete
Of course. It would absolutely the best means of identifying children who are lost, stolen, or victims of predators known as man.

Why would you be against it? Babies have their feet printed at birth for identification purposes. I'm assuming you are viewing it as an invasion of privacy. There is no such thing in today's world.
This is total rubbish fed by the Right who love the idea of a national ID/DNA database; you can already identify children by matching their photos up!

Only if their teeth have been knocked out and their face's too disfigured would you need a DNA test.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
The USA already has an ID card, they just call it a drivers license instead.
Exactly, and they're easy enough to forge (etc..) as it is.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:51 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

So long as it replaces existing cards. One card that contained your drivers record, carry permit, SS information, passport, and DNA too - if need be. If could even hold all your debit and credit card data, hospital records. All of these cards currently contain very little information, many just a few hundred characters on each card - combining them on to one card would make sense. One card with multiple access codes, so DPS can access just drivers record, hospitals your medical records, ATM's your financial institution records etc.
The card would have to be secure, and not available to be 'misused', ie insurance companies using your DNA to check for a disposition to diseases etc.
So in practise its a resounding NO, but in theory a big yes.
Old Dec 26th 2006, 11:59 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

What is wrong with ID cards? If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
What is wrong with ID cards? If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
I'm sure that's what the Nazis said to the Jews when they asked them to wear the Star of David...

OK, it's not that serious, but you get the idea...
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:21 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
So long as it replaces existing cards. One card that contained your drivers record, carry permit, SS information, passport, and DNA too - if need be. If could even hold all your debit and credit card data, hospital records. All of these cards currently contain very little information, many just a few hundred characters on each card - combining them on to one card would make sense. One card with multiple access codes, so DPS can access just drivers record, hospitals your medical records, ATM's your financial institution records etc.
The card would have to be secure, and not available to be 'misused', ie insurance companies using your DNA to check for a disposition to diseases etc.
So in practise its a resounding NO, but in theory a big yes.
It's bad enough losing one credit card. Imagine losing this one !
Old Dec 27th 2006, 1:38 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually it would be far easier to cancel this one. Typically, I would imagine, people are likely to lose a wallet, and therefore lose more than one credit card at a time. This card could be cancelled and replaced with one phone call. Normally losing a wallet would require multiple calls to all the card issuers involved.
As a financial institution would no longer issue a credit card, replacements could be instant. You could simply transfer all your financial information to a backup card.
Losing a crad like this would not pose huge problems if it also contained biometric information. The information would be inaccessible to anyone but the rightful owners.

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
It's bad enough losing one credit card. Imagine losing this one !
Old Dec 27th 2006, 2:56 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Most countries in Europe have this ID cards and, as someone already mentioned, here in the US they exist too; they are driving licenses. They actually make your life easier and in my opinion there aren't any disadvantages to having it. It would make the government's system in general work better. When I say this I am referring to things like voting.. The way it works at present is an incredible mess: anybody can go and vote for you.. I do mean ANYBODY, since no proof of ID is required. I have a friend from the Czech Republic that voted in the last general/national elections.. She was sent a valet home with somebody else's name on it, and just used it.. She has no British nationality and she is not allowed to vote in the national elections; only local and European.. When she went to vote the person in front of her was told that he wasn't allowed to vote, apparently "he" had already voted earlier in the day (remember, anybody that knows your name and address can vote for you)..

An ID card also makes traveling within Europe easier as it can replace your passport..

K, they would need to take your fingerprints to issue you with an ID card.. but who cares..

It is normal to fear the unknown.. but honestly ID cards are very useful..
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anabella
ID cards may indeed be useful - for those who want or need them. It is the COMPULSION I object to.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:20 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
ID cards may indeed be useful - for those who want or need them. It is the COMPULSION I object to.

If you are not old/skilled enough to drive and you have never needed a passport then, since you have no ID at all, "you are nobody".. and simple things like banking would be a nightmare.. Making it compulsory only helps you..
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:55 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not old/skilled enough to drive and you have never needed a passport then, since you have no ID at all, "you are nobody".. and simple things like banking would be a nightmare.. Making it compulsory only helps you..
I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US (at least in my state) you do have the option of getting an ID card at the DMV, which looks similar to a drivers license but is just for ID purposes.

~ Jenney
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Most countries in Europe have this ID cards and, as someone already mentioned, here in the US they exist too; they are driving licenses. They actually make your life easier and in my opinion there aren't any disadvantages to having it. It would make the government's system in general work better. When I say this I am referring to things like voting.. The way it works at present is an incredible mess: anybody can go and vote for you.. I do mean ANYBODY, since no proof of ID is required. I have a friend from the Czech Republic that voted in the last general/national elections.. She was sent a valet home with somebody else's name on it, and just used it.. She has no British nationality and she is not allowed to vote in the national elections; only local and European.. When she went to vote the person in front of her was told that he wasn't allowed to vote, apparently "he" had already voted earlier in the day (remember, anybody that knows your name and address can vote for you)..

An ID card also makes traveling within Europe easier as it can replace your passport..

K, they would need to take your fingerprints to issue you with an ID card.. but who cares..

But why bother replacing a passport?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Helps me?

How does carrying an ID card help me?

No one needs to know my ID on a daily basis.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US (at least in my state) you do have the option of getting an ID card at the DMV, which looks similar to a drivers license but is just for ID purposes.

~ Jenney
Same here, I guess it's a national thing..

Those don't exist in the UK, so as I said, if you don't drive and you have never applied for a passport you have no ID at all.. they should have introduced ID's years ago, I don't understand how they've managed without them..
Old Dec 27th 2006, 4:00 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Helps me?

How does carrying an ID card help me?

No one needs to know my ID on a daily basis.
I had to show my Passport before my Interview and my Medical, all a bit odd really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.