Complicated: Husband, son and me

Complicated: Husband, son and me

Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

UKandUSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Complicated: Husband, son and me

The facts:

I am a naturalized US citizen.

My husband was naturalized UK citizen and then became a naturalized US citizen.

We had a son (born in the US) after both my husband and I were naturalized US citizens.

The questions:

1. Is my husband still a UK citizen?

2. Is my son a UK citizen? If no, can he become one? How?

3. Can I become a UK citizen?

Thanks a ton!
Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:46 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Complicated: Husband, son and me

Originally Posted by UKandUSA

Thanks a ton!
Hi, Welcome To BE

As far as I know you would have to be living in the UK with the "Right To Abode" in order to become a naturalized UK citizen.

Your first port of call would be to have a read on the http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...p/eligibility/ site.

Oh and congrats on the birth of your little one
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

The facts:

We had a son (born in the US) after both my husband and I were naturalized US citizens.

The questions:

Yes.

You will have to live in the UK for x number of years to be eligible for UK citizenship.

Read up on the link Sue provided to understand the UK's citizenship by descent. Not sure if your UK hubby had to reside in the UK for a certain number of years (or even a certain amount of time after he reached a certain age).

For example, if I remember correctly, for a US cit to pass on citizenship (if child born in another country), they had to have lived in the US for a certain number of years after the age of 14 (I think it's 3).
Old Oct 6th 2008, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The questions:

1 - Yes
2 - Probably, but depends, need more info
3 - Yes, but not just by being married to a UK Citizen, you've got to meet the requirements, which were posted above.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The facts:

The questions:

Thanks a ton!
1/ Yes -- unless he formally renounced it in front of a British consul.

2/ Probably yes -- apply for a UK passport and see.

3/ Only if you move to the UK and complete all the requirements.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

UKandUSA is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for all the replies. Depending on how the US election turns out, I might move to the UK (only half kidding!).
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
1/ Yes -- unless he formally renounced it in front of a British consul.

2/ Probably yes -- apply for a UK passport and see.

1. British citizenship would also have been lost if the father became American before 1949.

2. If father kept British citizenship, and is U.K. naturalised, then son is automatically British. Recommended to get a consular birth certificate for son + a British passport.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of great information here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law
Old Oct 8th 2008, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. British citizenship would also have been lost if the father became American before 1949.

2. If father kept British citizenship, and is U.K. naturalised, then son is automatically British. Recommended to get a consular birth certificate for son + a British passport.
On 2/, does the marital status of the parents at the time of birth come into it?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
On 2/, does the marital status of the parents at the time of birth come into it?
Since they were legally married the child would normally have become British at the time of marriage if they were married after child was born.

If child was born on or after 1 July 2006 then marital status is not normally relevant.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:59 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by JAJ
Since they were legally married the child would normally have become British at the time of marriage if they were married after child was born.

If child was born on or after 1 July 2006 then marital status is not normally relevant.
Thx