British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Compassionate grounds air fare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/compassionate-grounds-air-fare-433888/)

Englishmum Mar 12th 2007 12:09 pm

Re: Compassionate grounds air fare

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4509423)
You know, this subject (sadly) comes up pretty frequently on this board. Is there an FAQ or something on 'what to plan for when moving to the US' that mentions this situation? It seems an emergency flight home should almost be something you budget for when you come to live here.

I actually think that there should be a 'sticky' at the top of the USA page because as you say, it's all something that expats will face at some time or other and there have been so many threads about it. Do you think this could be done Bob or Rete?

Also - anyone coming over on an expat assignment should negotiate this when having their contract drawn up: when my dad died suddenly I had to fly from Singapore to Birmingham UK and last November my mother-in-law was dying in Essex. My husband's company covered the cost of the airfares as it is in his contract (but only for immediate close relatives. In the contract it states they do prefer to pay airfares for spouses only, but will pay compassionate leave airfares for children if alternative childcare arrangments can't be made eg. if you're not on a posting in the Middle East, Africa or Far East where most expats have live-in help).

Bob Mar 12th 2007 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4509423)
You know, this subject (sadly) comes up pretty frequently on this board. Is there an FAQ or something on 'what to plan for when moving to the US' that mentions this situation? It seems an emergency flight home should almost be something you budget for when you come to live here.

It hasn't, but anyone could add it to the wiki...

Bob Mar 12th 2007 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 4509532)
I actually think that there should be a 'sticky' at the top of the USA page because as you say, it's all something that expats will face at some time or other and there have been so many threads about it. Do you think this could be done Bob or Rete?

the threads have been far to general to be much use for a sticky, but if someone compiled a list of things to do and what not, it could be added to the wiki easily enough.

penguinsix Mar 12th 2007 3:34 pm

I added it to the wiki in Lifestyle, but probably will need to create a new topic of 'What to plan before you leave?' or something.

Bob Mar 12th 2007 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 4510036)
I added it to the wiki in Lifestyle, but probably will need to create a new topic of 'What to plan before you leave?' or something.

looks good to me :)