British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Compassionate grounds air fare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/compassionate-grounds-air-fare-433888/)

Muswell Hill Mar 11th 2007 5:09 pm

Compassionate grounds air fare

My father passed away today at 2.00 am. Got on the blower to US airways who wanted almost $3000 for a flight to LGW, WANKERS. Delta was only 900, at last minute.

The man is barely dead and USairways wanted a death cert, cause of death, attending Dr name.....
I don't effing know the reason why, other than a suspected massive heart attack....

Another reason why i truly hate and detest US airways. Sorry for the rant but am upset.

Off today....see you all soon

MH

Deedee13 Mar 11th 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Compassionate grounds air fare

Sorry to hear. I hope u have a safe trip. Take care.

tracey.d Mar 11th 2007 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill (Post 4507322)
My father passed away today at 2.00 am. Got on the blower to US airways who wanted almost $3000 for a flight to LGW, WANKERS. Delta was only 900, at last minute.

The man is barely dead and USairways wanted a death cert, cause of death, attending Dr name.....
I don't effing know the reason why, other than a suspected massive heart attack....

Another reason why i truly hate and detest US airways. Sorry for the rant but am upset.

MH

So sorry about your Dad.

Tracey

Tegwyn Mar 11th 2007 7:27 pm

So sorry to hear of your loss. I gather a lot of airlines look for some sort of proof anymore because there are always some scheming sods out there trying to manipulate the system which ultimately penalizes us all. :(

nethead Mar 11th 2007 8:29 pm

Really sorry to hear about your dad.

unicorndreams Mar 11th 2007 8:39 pm

MH

Sorry about your Dad.
Have a safe trip.

Ozzidoc Mar 11th 2007 9:21 pm

Sorry for your loss - thinking of you.

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 9:25 pm

So sorry to hear about your father...safe journey home.

penguinsix Mar 11th 2007 9:48 pm

You can expect to produce some form of medical records for most of the airlines when flying on these emergency fares, as the other poster has pointed out, there are a lot of scum bags who try this to get cheap flights and the airlines have had to react.

Though it doesn't help you feel any better when dealing with such a loss.

FWIW, I did a very quick search out of JFK, tomorrow, to LHR, returning in 2 weeks (guesstimate). Cheapest I could find was Air India, $512, and then Swiss Air (via Zurich), $580. Virgin was $760. It's often been said that a last minute fare can sometimes be cheaper than the emergency fares (though with less flexiblity as emergency fares will let you move around dates, etc). Washington Dulles cheapest is about $800.

I'm not sure where you live, but picked JFK as it has the most competition / lower prices (so it seems) than other airports on the East Coast.

You can also go to priceline and "name your price" of say $500. I think you might get an airline willing to fill a seat around that.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jerseygirl Mar 11th 2007 9:50 pm

Gone are the days of cheap last minute air fares due to the security checks. If the day of booking is less than a week before you travel the price starts to increase.

Bob Mar 11th 2007 9:59 pm

That's crap, sorry to hear about your father :(

Any joys with BA or Virgin? they tend to be pretty good about these fares.

DollyLlama Mar 11th 2007 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear about your Dad......take care

Maz Mar 12th 2007 1:19 am

MH

Screw US Airways, bunch of twats!

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, MH. Time really does heal all wounds, and I wish you and your family all the best.

When they still flew from Chicago, I got a flight in March 2000 for $300 with Virgin when my Granny died. I did have to fax a death certificate, though.

Rushman Mar 12th 2007 5:00 am

MH

Sorry to here that mate, same thing happened to me in June last year.

penguinsix Mar 12th 2007 11:28 am

You know, this subject (sadly) comes up pretty frequently on this board. Is there an FAQ or something on 'what to plan for when moving to the US' that mentions this situation? It seems an emergency flight home should almost be something you budget for when you come to live here.