Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:35 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Originally Posted by ScotsmanInTexas
My wife is a travel consultant, and she told me to respond and tell you this: It is a good idea to call a travel agency if you are looking or a compassion fare or a bereavement fare, because each airline is different, and the travel agency can check with each airline that flies out of your city for you. American may have a better deal than Continental, for instance, or in some cases, a promotional rate may be cheaper than the compassion fares. Instead of calling around to 6 different airlines, ask your travel agent. At her company, they even have specially negotiaged fares with a national funeral home company, so that if a person is going to a funeral, and the funeral was booked with a certain company, they can get the negotiated airline prices. It is always good to check.
I dunno about you but if I wanted to get somewhere in a hurry, I'd rather take a direct, non-stop flight wherever possible. This narrows the options immediately. This research can be done pretty easily from one's home or work computer.

However, if price is a major consideration (over time), then your suggestion is a good one.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 1st 2005, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I dunno about you but if I wanted to get somewhere in a hurry, I'd rather take a direct, non-stop flight wherever possible. This narrows the options immediately. This research can be done pretty easily from one's home or work computer.

However, if price is a major consideration (over time), then your suggestion is a good one.

NC Penguin
LOL. It has taken me a few days to realise what your avatar is.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassion Fares - List of Airlines

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Woodsey - you are on an expat posting aren't you? Is there anything in your husband's contract regarding emergency travel for bereavements?

When my husband's company sends its staff on expat assignments, they put it in the written contract that if a close family member in the home country dies or is dying (there is a list of whom they define as a close relative) the company will pay for flights home; they prefer that this is limited to the expat on assignment and spouse.....but if there is no suitable childcare then the company will also pay airfares for accompanying children. (I can dig out the wording if anyone is interested).

My dad died suddenly in August 1999 and I'd just been back in Singapore for one week (after spending most of the Summer hols in England on home leave) when I got the dreaded phone call. The kids had just started their new academic year and our maid had just left to live in Canada, so I returned to England on my own whilst my husband stayed behind with the kids.

If anyone reading this is likely to move overseas on an expat posting, it's in your best interest to negotiate and get it in your written contract that the company will pay for airfares in the event of a family bereavement or serious illness. Most MNCs do this.
My husband works for a division of an MNC but nowhere in his contract does it mention funding flights home for family bereavement or illness. I know a lot of companies will pay for one flight home a year but we don't even get that. His company are paying for him to fly home to revalidate his visa but we have to pay for mine and the kids' tickets.