Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Old Jun 30th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future
Default Re: Compassion Fares - List of Airlines

Heres a list of the Airlines which I found offering compassion fares:

American Airlines
Continental Airlines (They have a long list of what counts as a "relative/family")
Delta Air Lines
US Airways

British Airways do not offer compassion fares!

I'm sure there are more airlines, but these are the airlines I could find information on. I guess its best just to call them up and ask.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK

British Airways do not offer compassion fares!
My Uncle died suddenly 4 years ago whilst on a golfing holiday in Florida (aged 56). My Dad called BA to explain my Aunt's position and they couldn't have been more helpful. They offered compassion fare to my cousin so he could be with his Dad who was dying in the hospital. After he died BA put them on the first available flight back to Manchester at no extra cost. (My uncles body was flown back to England 2 weeks later.) They were the very first ones allowed on the plane and the first ones off at Manchester. One stewardess was assigned to look after my Aunt and cousin the whole time and she constantly made sure they were OK.

So in some cases BA do offer compassion fares.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I had a recent death in the family, I had had to fly back to England with two days notice. I was fortunate enough to have enough frequent flyer miles. Otherwise it would have been $1000 for a NYC to LON ticket. I will now always ensure have enough miles for a flight to London if god forbit any family emergency/death occurs again. I was so happy I had saved those miles. It saved me a grand!
Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:28 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete
Was it an actual compassionate fare, or them just not charging for flight changes and being helpful?

My brother in law was working in Dubai and his father was dying of cancer. He literally had 48 hours to get back and see him before he died. He tried everything with BA and got absolutely nowhere. In the end they grudingly said they'd waive a flight fee change if he could show them the death cert but as he wanted to get back *before* his father died he just stumped up the cash for a new ticket.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Was it an actual compassionate fare, or them just not charging for flight changes and being helpful?

My brother in law was working in Dubai and his father was dying of cancer. He literally had 48 hours to get back and see him before he died. He tried everything with BA and got absolutely nowhere. In the end they grudingly said they'd waive a flight fee change if he could show them the death cert but as he wanted to get back *before* his father died he just stumped up the cash for a new ticket.
I am sure my cousin got compassionate fare to fly over to be with my Aunt. They were not charged any extra to change flights. I know the travel insurance company got involved and maybe they managed to pull a few strings at BA.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

DEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant futureDEE_UK has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mandpete
My Uncle died suddenly 4 years ago whilst on a golfing holiday in Florida (aged 56). My Dad called BA to explain my Aunt's position and they couldn't have been more helpful. They offered compassion fare to my cousin so he could be with his Dad who was dying in the hospital. After he died BA put them on the first available flight back to Manchester at no extra cost. (My uncles body was flown back to England 2 weeks later.) They were the very first ones allowed on the plane and the first ones off at Manchester. One stewardess was assigned to look after my Aunt and cousin the whole time and she constantly made sure they were OK.

Check this link out - http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ext=compassion then click on "Do you offer bereavement/compassionate fares?"

Maybe they did offer it some years ago. But right now, they are saying that they do not.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:11 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Compassion Fares for Air Travel-My Story

Interesting to note that some airlines do not even follow-up on the information they are given about times, places, hospitals, funeral homes, etc. It just helps to weed out the serious folk from those trying to pull a fast one.*

*I do not wish to appear to be a heartless cynic but while I know the majority of cases are genuine, there are people who try for any and all discounts they can think of.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I booked 2 tickets thru American Airlines to go home short notice in February to attend my Nan's funeral. I didnt know about compassion fares. As it happened the day before we left we realised that if we had left the states we wouldn't have been able to have got back in unless we had visited the US embassy in London to get our visas put in our passports first. We are on L visas, our petition was sorted out this end however without the visa in the passport it restricts us travelling. The embassy could only book us in the day before we were due to fly back to the states, and wouldn't make an exception even though it was explained about my Nan's funeral. AA wouldn't let us cancel our tickets but agreed to hold them for 1 year. However when we do go to use them again we will be charged an extra $200 per ticket for the privilege!! I'm wondering now whether I should write to AA and explain everything as I never told them it was for a funeral in the first place.
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

IrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant futureIrnBru has a brilliant future

I was in the UK in November when my Grandad died. Husband went to the airport in the USA and was told that everything was fully booked, he explained why he had to get home, and then was offered availability and offered a compassionate rate also.

He was asked to produce the death certificate on leaving the UK, and that if need be he could extend his ticket for a $75 fee. He did extend and they didnt charge him. I took a photocopy and the original to the airport, they briefly glanced at it and didnt want to keep the copy OR view the original (very trustworthy of them!) To top it all, they put him in first class. All for $1400, two flights there and two back. Well done Continental
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DEE_UK
Check this link out - http://www.britishairways.com/travel...ext=compassion then click on "Do you offer bereavement/compassionate fares?"

Maybe they did offer it some years ago. But right now, they are saying that they do not.
they don't offer a compassionate fare as such but they are supposed to offer you a lower price fare if there is decent availability on the flight, we paid $10,000 for our tickets home yet there were plenty of empty seats on the flight, shortly after my Grandfather died in April, my Father in Law also died and when we rang them to book another flight home for my husband they actually mentioned it to us..
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I booked 2 tickets thru American Airlines to go home short notice in February to attend my Nan's funeral. I didnt know about compassion fares. As it happened the day before we left we realised that if we had left the states we wouldn't have been able to have got back in unless we had visited the US embassy in London to get our visas put in our passports first. We are on L visas, our petition was sorted out this end however without the visa in the passport it restricts us travelling. The embassy could only book us in the day before we were due to fly back to the states, and wouldn't make an exception even though it was explained about my Nan's funeral. AA wouldn't let us cancel our tickets but agreed to hold them for 1 year. However when we do go to use them again we will be charged an extra $200 per ticket for the privilege!! I'm wondering now whether I should write to AA and explain everything as I never told them it was for a funeral in the first place.
I would definitely complain, as British Airways are asking for a copy of my Grandfathers death certificatel I am assuming they are going to do something about refunding part of the cost so if British Airways will do it then I'm sure AA will..
Old Jun 30th 2005, 11:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
I would definitely complain, as British Airways are asking for a copy of my Grandfathers death certificatel I am assuming they are going to do something about refunding part of the cost so if British Airways will do it then I'm sure AA will..

The rules on the international tickets are a 200.00 change fee and they are usually non refundable-however, it also should be in the fare rules that penalty is waived for death of the passenger OR immediate family. So I sure would pursue that angle!!!
Bereavement fares have lessened in availability and I am almost positive that Delta has dropped them this year.
We travel agents don't have access to them, since they are not normal published fares, and I tell folks that. I had an interesting occurrence last week- 2 bereavement calls within a half hour !!! One was for Panama and one for Puerto Rico. I advised both clients to check with the airlines FIRST and then check back with me. I always advise my clients what airline their best bet for flights and give them the phone numbers to save them hassle in an understandably stressful time after I explain we don't have the bereavement fares. One client called back to thank me since they had found what they needed. The other called back and said they had the bereavement fare but perhaps I could do better? So I looked and sure enough, I found a fare that was 25.00 cheaper than the berevement fare. I said well here's my price, but the bereavment fare probably doesn't have any penalties for changes, since many folks know they have to go, but they are not always sure about their return. The client told me no, that they would charge them a penalty to change!!
Woodsey, you got taken on your deal with BA and I do hope you are able to recoup some of that money.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The rules on the international tickets are a 200.00 change fee and they are usually non refundable-however, it also should be in the fare rules that penalty is waived for death of the passenger OR immediate family. So I sure would pursue that angle!!!
Bereavement fares have lessened in availability and I am almost positive that Delta has dropped them this year.
We travel agents don't have access to them, since they are not normal published fares, and I tell folks that. I had an interesting occurrence last week- 2 bereavement calls within a half hour !!! One was for Panama and one for Puerto Rico. I advised both clients to check with the airlines FIRST and then check back with me. I always advise my clients what airline their best bet for flights and give them the phone numbers to save them hassle in an understandably stressful time after I explain we don't have the bereavement fares. One client called back to thank me since they had found what they needed. The other called back and said they had the bereavement fare but perhaps I could do better? So I looked and sure enough, I found a fare that was 25.00 cheaper than the berevement fare. I said well here's my price, but the bereavment fare probably doesn't have any penalties for changes, since many folks know they have to go, but they are not always sure about their return. The client told me no, that they would charge them a penalty to change!!
Woodsey, you got taken on your deal with BA and I do hope you are able to recoup some of that money.
Thanks Cindy , I sure did at the time I didn't even think about the cost we just needed to get home but it makes my blood boil when I think about it now, to make things even worse my daughter already had a flight back to the UK booked with BA for the day after, we had booked it several weeks earlier as a treat for her as she was feeling so homesick, when I explained about the funeral and needing to get home quick they initially tried to book us on the same flight she was already booked on but there was only Business class available so we changed her flight to the day before so we could all go together, they then had the cheek to charge us $200 to cancel her flight even though we ended up paying $2000 more for exactly the same flight a day earlier..
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:27 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Compassion Fares - List of Airlines

Originally Posted by woodsey
they don't offer a compassionate fare as such but they are supposed to offer you a lower price fare if there is decent availability on the flight, we paid $10,000 for our tickets home yet there were plenty of empty seats on the flight, shortly after my Grandfather died in April, my Father in Law also died and when we rang them to book another flight home for my husband they actually mentioned it to us..
Woodsey - you are on an expat posting aren't you? Is there anything in your husband's contract regarding emergency travel for bereavements?

When my husband's company sends its staff on expat assignments, they put it in the written contract that if a close family member in the home country dies or is dying (there is a list of whom they define as a close relative) the company will pay for flights home; they prefer that this is limited to the expat on assignment and spouse.....but if there is no suitable childcare then the company will also pay airfares for accompanying children. (I can dig out the wording if anyone is interested).

My dad died suddenly in August 1999 and I'd just been back in Singapore for one week (after spending most of the Summer hols in England on home leave) when I got the dreaded phone call. The kids had just started their new academic year and our maid had just left to live in Canada, so I returned to England on my own whilst my husband stayed behind with the kids.

If anyone reading this is likely to move overseas on an expat posting, it's in your best interest to negotiate and get it in your written contract that the company will pay for airfares in the event of a family bereavement or serious illness. Most MNCs do this.
Old Jul 1st 2005, 12:37 am
This board is shite

ScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the roughScotsmanInTexas is a jewel in the rough

My wife is a travel consultant, and she told me to respond and tell you this: It is a good idea to call a travel agency if you are looking or a compassion fare or a bereavement fare, because each airline is different, and the travel agency can check with each airline that flies out of your city for you. American may have a better deal than Continental, for instance, or in some cases, a promotional rate may be cheaper than the compassion fares. Instead of calling around to 6 different airlines, ask your travel agent. At her company, they even have specially negotiaged fares with a national funeral home company, so that if a person is going to a funeral, and the funeral was booked with a certain company, they can get the negotiated airline prices. It is always good to check.

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I've only read about this but yesterday I learnt firsthand about these discounted fares for passengers traveling to family for reasons of bereavement or serious illness.

My father-in-law was supposed to go into hospital for a straightfoward cardiac catheterization but ended up being told he needed to have triple bypass heart surgery.

Continental Airlines offer a direct, non-stop flight from RDU to Cleveland (where father-in-law lives) and looking on the web yesterday, flights for travel today were at least $1000.

I rang Continental to enquire about how I could get prices for an open return ticket and said in passing that this was for my spouse to travel to see his father who was about to have surgery. The lady at Continental then told me about the Compassion fare and on the spot told me that I could get this.

She checked flights for me, explained how the fare works and what information she needed in order to purchase this special fare.

The airline asked for the following:
name of patient
hospital where patient was having surgery
phone number of hospital
name of surgeon (fortunately was able to obtain this before the end of the evening)
contact number for passenger

Continental also wants the physician to provide a letter to them stating the above. The lady at Continental explained that doctors are familiar with doing this and shouldn't balk at providing such a letter.

The problem I nearly had was that I had to provide all the information verbally to the airline before the passenger checked in for the flight. Let's face it. When you hear news like this, it doesn't occur to ask for the name of the physician.

Not surprisingly, my mother-in-law did not have her cellphone switched on so I left a message but by about 10.00pm, I had the name of the physician.

Mr. NC Penguin flew out on a 10am flight to Cleveland this morning. He has a return flight booked but this can be changed at no extra cost within 60 days of his outward flight date. If it's done any later, Continental charge $100 for changing the date.

In the end we paid a little over $615 for this compassion fare. It is a "K" class of ticket (a class I'd never heard of).

If the lady at Continental had not brought this up, I doubt I would've remembered of its existence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.