Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comparing grocery store prices?

Comparing grocery store prices?

Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing grocery store prices?

So packets of grated cheese...little mental.

Our local Hannafords, own brand cheapest by miles at $1.80 for a regular sized bag, the brand stuff for around $2.50

Anywhere else, Wegmans, Stop and Shop etc are around $3.20 for own brand cheap stuff.

When we were up in Maine, the Hannafords up there that we went to, the own brand was $3.99
Old Dec 30th 2011, 10:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be healthy, but our local Hannafords were having a sale of double packs of the premium Oscar Mayer beef hotdogs for 50c a packet....
Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:47 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Can't be healthy, but our local Hannafords were having a sale of double packs of the premium Oscar Mayer beef hotdogs for 50c a packet....
I like Hebrew Nation myself.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I like Hebrew Nation myself.
They're good...I also like the one that starts with K, Kayam? Though we usually get the Ballpark Franks, because they're everywhere here and usually on some kind of deal.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:42 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Our local Hannafords, own brand cheapest by miles at $1.80 for a regular sized bag, the brand stuff for around $2.50

Anywhere else, Wegmans, Stop and Shop etc are around $3.20 for own brand cheap stuff.

When we were up in Maine, the Hannafords up there that we went to, the own brand was $3.99
Regular prices are mental, but Big Y has them on offer regularly enough so that they come to $2 (or sometimes even $1.67) for an 8ox bag. Given that American dairy products last forever I buy a good supply each time there's the offer.

Just snapped up some grated pepperjack (which they never carried before) and slung it in a lunchtime burrito with eggs, chipotle chillies and avocado.

Back of the net.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just noticed that Target is the place to go for yeast, they had jars of the stuff for $2 less than Wegmans at $3 a jar and the packets were 50c cheaper than Walmart at $1.10 for the branded stuff.

BJ's had twin pack of stuff a little larger than the jars, which equal about 17 packets each for $4.60 which isn't bad.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:01 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh hell no, I love my cheese pre grated I'm a lazy cook, but I only get it when it works out to be the same price or cheaper as the block cheese and I save my knuckles.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 10:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So after our weekend trip up to Maine, checked the Hannafords where the in-laws live and yoghurt own brand was 47c each, whilst in our local one in town, they're 30c each.

They're actually pretty good too.

Wegmans are still hanging in at 45c which isn't to bad either.