Reload this Page >

company paid housing/car in USA

company paid housing/car in USA

Old Oct 19th 2012, 11:28 am
Just Joined

millhillguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question company paid housing/car in USA

Hello there,

an italian company I work for is opening an office in Pittsburgh PA and I was offered to relocate there. I would appreciate your help on following matters:

- company paid housing: what's the best way to arrange it? have my company pay the rent? will I pay the fringe benefit tax? or is it better getting a $2k a month grossed up in my salary and pay the rent myself?

- company car: I'm offered a company car (i won't be using it much for business). Will I have to pay the fringe benefit tax? Is there a better way of dealing with it?

Thanks a lot for any of your help!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: company paid housing/car in USA

Originally Posted by millhillguy
... what's the best way to arrange it? have my company pay the rent?
Yes... then you can get a nicer place and stick them with the bill.

I'm offered a company car (i won't be using it much for business). Will I have to pay the fringe benefit tax? Is there a better way of dealing with it?
You seem very concerned with "fringe benefit tax". Why? I suggest you read this.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes... then you can get a nicer place and stick them with the bill.
Just as long as they gross up the cost for the tax man, so you don't get slumped with a decent tax bill.

The car, either get one yourself and claim expenses against it, but if it's mostly for personal use there won't be many expenses to claim. Company could just pay for a lease though.

Biggest concern though is the medical insurance....and getting a greencard offer in writing.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

millhillguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Just as long as they gross up the cost for the tax man, so you don't get slumped with a decent tax bill.

The car, either get one yourself and claim expenses against it, but if it's mostly for personal use there won't be many expenses to claim. Company could just pay for a lease though.

Biggest concern though is the medical insurance....and getting a greencard offer in writing.
Appreciate your answers!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 2:56 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Here are my thoughts:

1) Company apartment - My company has one. I stayed here for a period when I first moved over. However, in our case we had it before I came over and we still have it now - it wasn't limited to just my use and I only had it for a very short period. It's frequently used by colleagues that travel over here. If they're paying it directly and other people use it too then you should be fine. If it's just for you, you may get hit with a tax bill on it.

2) Company car - Personal mileage is taxable. If you're not using it for business use then get the company to give you a grossed up car allowance instead then your tax is covered. However, the reporting of personal mileage is not exactly rigid and it would depend on the ratio of personal mileage to business mileage. The other thing that helps is if the car is a 'pool' car with multiple people on the insurance rather than just a car for you. I have access to a pool car (the reality is that I am the one that uses it but it is a pool car) but I don't get taxed on it as it is used for business purposes. I used it exclusively when I first moved over when any personal mileage was negligible compared to the business mileage I was doing in it, but I bought my own car when I moved further out and would have had 250 miles/wk in commute on it.