Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Commutable US towns to London, Ontario?

Commutable US towns to London, Ontario?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commutable US towns to London, Ontario?

Looking at google, it's looking like Michigan and some small towns?

How doable is commuting over the lake? Not a goer I'd have thought?

Random I know, but it's a consideration, and I don't want to abandon my greencard, hence thought of a bit of a commute, till I get citizenship at least...nothing will come of it I'm sure, but I'm chatting with a place out there next week.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commutable US towns to London, Ontario?

We used to live in the small, quiet "city" of St. Clair, MI. Just down the road from Port Huron and the Blue Water Bridge. Loved it there.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
We used to live in the small, quiet "city" of St. Clair, MI. Just down the road from Port Huron and the Blue Water Bridge. Loved it there.
That was the area on google I was looking at...so it's a nice area?

What about transport links, airports and the like around there like?
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Random I know, but it's a consideration, and I don't want to abandon my greencard, hence thought of a bit of a commute, till I get citizenship at least...nothing will come of it I'm sure, but I'm chatting with a place out there next week.
What about a Canadian work visa?

Sorry Bob but I had to ask.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Commuting to London from the USA?

London is smack-dab in the middle of the Niagara peninsula... a long way from any border. For someone with a young family I don't think it's realistic. Winter driving in that area can be pretty treacherous, too.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:02 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Via Rail is the Canadian equivalent to Amtrak, and provides service from Sarnia ON to Toronto via London. http://www.viarail.ca/en_index.html?...k_English_link

I haven't taken that route, but Canadian rail service is more American than European. My guess is that it will be pricey and on the slow side.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
That was the area on google I was looking at...so it's a nice area?

What about transport links, airports and the like around there like?
It's quite a trek to London with the nearest airports being DTW or Flint.
Public transport pretty much nil.....the only train is from Port Huron...don't know much about it.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What about a Canadian work visa?

Sorry Bob but I had to ask.
That I asked in the Canadian immigration forum

Once I get citizenship, TN would be a goer, but till then, it would be a temporary work visa as they call it, a goer, just not sure if you need to reside in Canada to get it
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Commuting to London from the USA?

London is smack-dab in the middle of the Niagara peninsula... a long way from any border. For someone with a young family I don't think it's realistic. Winter driving in that area can be pretty treacherous, too.
Aye, google was throwing an hour from Port Huron down the motor way, which is a doer, bit of an arse, but could be a worse commute.

Which is why I was wondering about the lake, but I'm guessing that shuts down for the winter unlike the cat to nova scotia...

Train is another option.

Either way, I'm only doing a cursory look because if I couldn't get the temporary workers visa without living in Canada, it'd be a no goer anyway, certainly something to look into though
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Bob, I hope it doesn't come down to your having to commute to Canada to work. It would be one thing if your family were housed in an area where they had friends and family to help them during the week while you're away but they won't. Tough decision I know. But knowing you, you will make the one that is best for your career and for your family.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:51 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
Oh Bob, I hope it doesn't come down to your having to commute to Canada to work. It would be one thing if your family were housed in an area where they had friends and family to help them during the week while you're away but they won't. Tough decision I know. But knowing you, you will make the one that is best for your career and for your family.
aye, tough one this, but it's something to investigate...tough times though, since I got laid off, two other decent sized games companies have shut down in my area.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Let me know if I can help with any more info about the St. Clair/Port Huron area..we lived there for 8 years
Old Nov 8th 2008, 3:43 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by lisa67
Let me know if I can help with any more info about the St. Clair/Port Huron area..we lived there for 8 years
cheers