Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Community College without student visa

Community College without student visa

Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community College without student visa

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
That depends on your POV!

Ian
Agree
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crosscountryrider
I didn't see B or VWP in there.
You can't attend classes on the VWP. You can on a B-2 visa.

Also your status needs to have to approbiate documentation.
Right... you even quoted the actual "appropriate documentation"... so I'm not sure you entirely understood what was written.

Ian
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:07 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can't attend classes on the VWP. You can on a B-2 visa.
I have to disagree with that statement. The types of courses that someone can attend are no different for a WT vs B-2. You can either do it as a visitor for pleasure or you can't. You either need a student visa or you don't.

The only difference is that the consulate will sometimes print on a visa that a certain course is allowed on the B-2 to indicate that they evaluated the situation and that, in their opinion, the person doesn't need an F-1.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:23 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
B-2 is only allowed to take recreational classes. They can't be for academic credit or vocational in nature.

If the person receives any credit towards a degree then they can't do it without an F-1. Attending such classes on the VWP would violate the terms of the program and the person would be inelgible to use the VWP again.
What is your basis for this assertion?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:24 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify, short term language classes that are not for school credit can be taken when they are incidental to the tourist purpose. That falls under the recreational/avocational category.

It's spelled out better in the DOS Foreign Affairs Manual.

9 FAM 41.31 N14.8 Aliens Destined to Avocational or Recreational School
(CT:VISA-752; 06-28-2005)

An alien enrolling in such a school may be classified B-2 if the purpose of
attendance is recreational or avocational. When the nature of a school’s
program is difficult to determine, you should request from DHS the proper
classification of the program and whether approval of Form I-20, Certificate
of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and
Language Students, will be more appropriate.

9 FAM 41.61 N9.2 Short Term Programs
9 FAM 41.61 N9.2-1 B-2 Visa for Visitor Who Will Engage in a Short Course of Study
(CT:VISA-1064; 10-09-2008)

a. Aliens coming primarily for tourism but engaging also in a short course of
study (less than 18 hours per week) are properly classified for B-2 visas.
You should insert the following notation below the visa: "STUDY
INCIDENTAL TO VISIT; Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for
Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-for Academic and Language Students
NOT REQUIRED." (See 9 FAM 41.31 N13.6.)

b. An alien enrolling in such a school may be classified B-2 if the purpose of
attendance is recreational or avocational
. When the nature of a school's
program is difficult to determine, you should request from DHS the
proper classification of the program and whether approval of Form I-20,
Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status -for
Academic and Language Students, will be more appropriate. (See 9 FAM
41.31 N14.8.)

c. Currently, aliens traveling to the United States to attend seminars or
conferences that are required to earn a degree are not eligible for B visa
classification. In the case of an alien traveling to the United States to
attend seminars and conferences for credit toward a degree, the study is
neither incidental to a tourist visit, avocational, nor recreational

Last edited by crg; Oct 29th 2009 at 8:32 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 8:46 pm
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
9 FAM 41.31 N14.8 Aliens Destined to Avocational or Recreational School
(CT:VISA-752; 06-28-2005)

An alien enrolling in such a school may be classified B-2 if the purpose of
attendance is recreational or avocational. When the nature of a school’s
program is difficult to determine, you should request from DHS the proper classification of the program and whether approval of Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students, will be more appropriate.

9 FAM 41.61 N9.2 Short Term Programs
9 FAM 41.61 N9.2-1 B-2 Visa for Visitor Who Will Engage in a Short Course of Study
(CT:VISA-1064; 10-09-2008)

a. Aliens coming primarily for tourism but engaging also in a short course of study (less than 18 hours per week) are properly classified for B-2 visas. You should insert the following notation below the visa: "STUDY INCIDENTAL TO VISIT; Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for
Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-for Academic and Language Students NOT REQUIRED." (See 9 FAM 41.31 N13.6.)

b. An alien enrolling in such a school may be classified B-2 if the purpose of attendance is recreational or avocational. When the nature of a school's program is difficult to determine, you should request from DHS the proper classification of the program and whether approval of Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status -for Academic and Language Students, will be more appropriate. (See 9 FAM 41.31 N14.8.)

c. Currently, aliens traveling to the United States to attend seminars or
conferences that are required to earn a degree are not eligible for B visa
classification. In the case of an alien traveling to the United States to
attend seminars and conferences for credit toward a degree, the study is
neither incidental to a tourist visit, avocational, nor recreational
I dissent.

I have had numerous clients who have come to the USA to undertake university-level courses for credit who have done so on a B-2 visa. This is the clear, unforced meaning of the highlighted section of subpart (a) above. There has never been a difficulty. In some cases, I have had the client go to a ConGen for the "no I-20 necessary" endorsement.

Here in California, the number of foreign, university-age students who come to take one class for the summer at UCLA, and who are otherwise here to soak up the rays and party on the beach in Santa Mónica is legion.

I acknowledge the apparent conflict with subpart (c); however, in my view, the "seminars and conferences" language is intended to target a different set of concerns. What is telling here is that subpart (c) does not make reference, like subpart (a), to an undifferentiated "short course of study." If subpart (c) is intended to shut out those who are here to take a "short course of study," it should say so. Elementary rules of statutory construction would lead one to conclude that subparts (a) and (c) are referring to separate sets of circumstances.

--J
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:42 pm
crg
American Expat

Maybe they'll clear up the language. Until they do so, I'd seek the visa solely to have someone look into the arrangement prior to beginning travel.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 10:40 pm
US immigration lawyer.

Originally Posted by crg
Maybe they'll clear up the language. Until they do so, I'd seek the visa solely to have someone look into the arrangement prior to beginning travel.
I agree that this is a prudent way to avoid nasty surprises at a POE.