Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Community College entry requirements?

Community College entry requirements?

Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:55 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Community College entry requirements?

Once a US Legal Resident, does anybody know what the requirements are to take some classes to build up credit at a Community College? Would GCSE Certificates be what is needed? I didn't get any A-Levels on paper when i came here, and im 19.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:59 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community College entry requirements?

Originally Posted by LoveConquorsAll
Once a US Legal Resident, does anybody know what the requirements are to take some classes to build up credit at a Community College? Would GCSE Certificates be what is needed? I didn't get any A-Levels on paper when i came here, and im 19.
I don't think it matters about the A-levels. I think as long as you went to school until you were 18 and completed the equivalent of US high school. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and fill you in.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:02 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I don't think it matters about the A-levels. I think as long as you went to school until you were 18 and completed the equivalent of US high school. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along and fill you in.
The only thing i wonder is that in England you graduate High School when you're 16. I am aware that you learn faster but are my GCSE's going to be enough for a community college?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing i wonder is that in England you graduate High School when you're 16. I am aware that you learn faster but are my GCSE's going to be enough for a community college?
I'm sure they will be....but, if they are not all you need to do is take the GED test. It is a very easy test and doesn't cost much to take and can be taken in all types of locations....you will not even have to study for it (except maybe some American History).

I know a lady here who never took her exams because her father passed away at that time. When she moved here with her husband's job, she took the GED and then started going to community college. She said it was very easy (the GED).
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:14 pm
Queen of my house

Here's a website with practice tests of all sorts http://www.learnatest.com/LearningEx...ip=-1026878398.
You must register to enter but it is free. I am a high school teacher and my students use it.

Here's another site for GED testing centers in NJ http://www.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/educa...=co&maxhits=50
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Just remember that you will probably have to pay a higher tutition until the day you become a resident of either the state or the US or both or none. Only the registrar can tell you what is required in that matter.

When you say build up credit are you talking about matriculating and using your course credits for a degree? If so, you have to be registered as a matriculating student and not a non-matriculating student for the credits to be applied to a degree. Also some courses take for credit at a community college will not be accepted by a university. So be sure what you want to accomplish.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:19 am
Hydey

Originally Posted by Rete
Just remember that you will probably have to pay a higher tutition until the day you become a resident of either the state or the US or both or none. Only the registrar can tell you what is required in that matter.

When you say build up credit are you talking about matriculating and using your course credits for a degree? If so, you have to be registered as a matriculating student and not a non-matriculating student for the credits to be applied to a degree. Also some courses take for credit at a community college will not be accepted by a university. So be sure what you want to accomplish.
I am not looking to apply until i have received my Green Card and am a Legal Resident here in the US. My Wife attended the college in the past, and my sister-in-law attended there and transferred to a state college with her credits from it.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not really an immigration question this, so might be worth asking on the US section...or shifting the thread but I don't want to step on anyones toes on that one...
Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:48 am
Hydey

Sorry it is, i am still in the middle of my adjustment of status and wanted to know where to go from here to set up my community college enrollment for the future. If i've posted something wrong i'm sorry.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it is, i am still in the middle of my adjustment of status and wanted to know where to go from here to set up my community college enrollment for the future. If i've posted something wrong i'm sorry.
I don't have a problem with it, but you'd probably get a lot more response in the US forum that's all, as there's quite a few folk in academia and teachers that could probably help out more than in the immigration side
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am not looking to apply until i have received my Green Card...
Why?

... am a Legal Resident here in the US.
What's more important is that you are recognized as being resident in the state. Tuition is usually based on state residency. If you can prove you're resident in the state, you don't need to wait until you have a GC.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2008, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not looking to apply until i have received my Green Card and am a Legal Resident here in the US. My Wife attended the college in the past, and my sister-in-law attended there and transferred to a state college with her credits from it.
Being a resident in the eyes of USCIS is irrelevant. It's if you are considered resident by the school. For instance, the community colleges around me require you to live in the county for more than 12 consecutive months to be considered for the cheapest (in county) tuition. There are similar requirements to state and out of state tuition and you being fresh off the boat would pay the highest amount because you would be considered out of state. It's a massive difference. These are the price differences for 1 credit hour, and you will be taking many credit hours, at my local community college.

In county = $92.80
In state but out of county = $111.15
Out of state = $224.50
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:02 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Being a resident in the eyes of USCIS is irrelevant. It's if you are considered resident by the school. For instance, the community colleges around me require you to live in the county for more than 12 consecutive months to be considered for the cheapest (in county) tuition. There are similar requirements to state and out of state tuition and you being fresh off the boat would pay the highest amount because you would be considered out of state. It's a massive difference. These are the price differences for 1 credit hour, and you will be taking many credit hours, at my local community college.

In county = $92.80
In state but out of county = $111.15
Out of state = $224.50

So actually it's a good thing that you just have to prove residency in your state and not have a GC. I would make an appt. at the comm. college you want to go to and they will do a much better job at explaining all of the options for you.

Also, I know you said your wife had all of her credits transferred, but even within the college some of them may not....things like remedial math or English, life skills, crocheting.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So actually it's a good thing that you just have to prove residency in your state and not have a GC. I would make an appt. at the comm. college you want to go to and they will do a much better job at explaining all of the options for you.
but some colleges will also need a greencard to not charge you international fee's full stop, but that's a college thing and they might waive that if you've been resident in the state for x amount of time....
Old Oct 31st 2008, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

So actually it's a good thing that you just have to prove residency in your state and not have a GC.
Not really because, at least for my local one, you have to prove you have been living there for 12 consecutive months. I think there may be some kind of % of time lived there in 5 years or something too. Either way, you can't just prove residency, you have to prove time of residency. If I can find it and remember, I'll look at my wifes fee schedule when I get home because it's spelled out plainly there what makes you eligible for each category.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.