Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it common/unheard of to get a company car in the US??

Is it common/unheard of to get a company car in the US??

Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Is it common/unheard of to get a company car in the US??

In the UK and parts of Europe it seems like the option to take a company car is quite a common offering - particularly with office positions. If a car is not an option, quite often travel expenses are. Is this the case in the States?
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:31 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it common/unheard of to get a company car in the US??

Originally posted by whatever
In the UK and parts of Europe it seems like the option to take a company car is quite a common offering - particularly with office positions. If a car is not an option, quite often travel expenses are. Is this the case in the States?
It is not unheard of, but it is very uncommon. The thing you must remember is that if you use your car for work (not to and from work obviously) then you can write of a percentage of your car payments, up keep and gas in your taxes every year. So it is more advantages to you to use your own car rather than a company one.

Patrick
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:34 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Proberly not, unless your the CEO of southwestern bell or alike!

Its a good question though....when I was searching for jobs I never came across a job ad that had a company car included in the package, all they offer here is medical insurance and 401K (pension).

Also since the economy went down the crapper most companys do not even have relocation packages anymore, so its more of a "if ya want the job....get yer arse over here on yer own expense mate!".
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Patrick
It is not unheard of, but it is very uncommon. The thing you must remember is that if you use your car for work (not to and from work obviously) then you can write of a percentage of your car payments, up keep and gas in your taxes every year. So it is more advantages to you to use your own car rather than a company one.

Patrick
Oh that's pretty cool as our work usually has us travelling quite a bit seeing clients Mon-Fri... I have a lot to learn about how the taxes work over there.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Yosser
Proberly not, unless your the CEO of southwestern bell or alike!

Its a good question though....when I was searching for jobs I never came across a job ad that had a company car included in the package, all they offer here is medical insurance and 401K (pension).

Also since the economy went down the crapper most companys do not even have relocation packages anymore, so its more of a "if ya want the job....get yer arse over here on yer own expense mate!".

Hmph! That's the impression I was getting from the little bit of looking I've done.
BTW is having a 401K pension a really good thing to have or are you just as well off getting your own private pension?
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I aliken it to this.

Petrol is ****ing expensive in UK, hence companies offer cars and expense petrol accounts as incentives to employess.

Health insurance is ****ing expensive in USA, hence companies offers health insurance as incentives to employees.

there's your explanation.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:52 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
I aliken it to this.

Petrol is ****ing expensive in UK, hence companies offer cars and expense petrol accounts as incentives to employess.

Health insurance is ****ing expensive in USA, hence companies offers health insurance as incentives to employees.

there's your explanation.

Lovely way of putting it manc....thank you
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hmph! That's the impression I was getting from the little bit of looking I've done.
BTW is having a 401K pension a really good thing to have or are you just as well off getting your own private pension?
If your company offers to match a certain contribution to a 401k take advantage of it as it is basically free money. With compound interest, that free money is worth a few bob in your retirement years.
I always advise people to have a back up plan like growth stock mutual funds or Roth IRA's as a private thing.

The enron fiasco ****ed a lot of people up, because the enron pensions were not diversified and therefore plummeted like a whore's knickers.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 8:56 pm
Never right in the head!

My present company does not offer 401K, its a shame because I think its worth it. The last company I worked for would match my contribution 100%.....I.E if 4% of my weekly wage would be deducted for 401K then the company would match it, some places offer only 25%, 50% etc, but atleast its something.

I guess I need to think about saving for a private pension, I only have 35 years to go
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:06 pm
Never right in the head!

By the way I cashed in the 2 years worth of 401K that I had saved, bad move they taxed me through the arse......bastards!
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby has company car and all running expenses paid, plus they pay my car payment - big benefit here as you're not penalised tax-wise like you are in UK for a company car. But company cars aren't as common here. We get full health (and get this our coverage is over $800 a month this year!!).
But hubby doesn't get 401K. I get 401k with my job and yes it is definitely worth it- you'd be crazy not to take full advantage of it if it's offered to you. Contibutions are taken out of your wage BEFORE tax- all packages differ, but I can contribute 10% of my wage and the company matches up to 4% of that- so its a no-brainer really.

If no 401K or other pension is offered by your company- take out a traditional IRA, you can contribute $3000 a year and get a big tax reduction on it (approx $1,200 back).

As for car expenses on your job- I think its only if you are self-employed isn't it Patrick, or if you need a vehicle to do your job? Commuting doesn't count, unless you have two jobs and then you can claim mileage to travel to the second job.

Yes- there is a lot to learn about taxes- its well worth paying to get your taxes done the first time you file.

Last edited by Taffyles; Oct 17th 2003 at 9:28 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:31 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Taffyles

If no 401K or other pension is offered by your company- take out a traditional IRA, you can contribute $3000 a year and get a big tax reduction on it (approx $1,200 back).
I disagree.
lets presume the following figures.

If you over the course of your working life put $100K into you IRA by the time you are 59 1/2 you will have $1000,000

Now a traditional IRA means you pay tax on the way out instead of the way in.

Roth IRA you pay tax on the way in instead of the way out.

So a traditional IRA you will be taxed on $1000,000
Roth IRA you will have already been taxed on the $100,000 and the $1000,000 will be taxed on capital gains only, which will (IMO) be slowly phased out.

so what do you wanna be taxed on? $100K or $1M?

The gov't introduced the traditional IRA as a means on taxing people on their huge retirement amounts so they can reduce the expected SS shortfall in about 30 years.

it is a no brainer too.

Last edited by manc1976; Oct 17th 2003 at 9:41 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

If your company offers to match a certain contribution to a 401k take advantage of it as it is basically free money. With compound interest, that free money is worth a few bob in your retirement years.
I always advise people to have a back up plan like growth stock mutual funds or Roth IRA's as a private thing.

The enron fiasco ****ed a lot of people up, because the enron pensions were not diversified and therefore plummeted like a whore's knickers.

Thanks Manc1976,
Marvellous advise...... and so graphic too
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:45 pm
Never right in the head!

I disagree.

If you over the course of your working life put $100K into you IRA by the time you are 59 1/2 you will have $1000,000

Roth IRA you will have already been taxed on the $100,000 and the $1000,000 will be taxed on capital gains only, which will (IMO) be slowly phased out.

The gov't introduced the traditional IRA as a means on taxing people on their huge retirement amounts so they can reduce the expected SS shortfall in about 30 years.

it is a no brainer too.
**** me, you lost me now..so where do I go to get a IRA account set up?
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree.

it is a no brainer too.
The traditional IRA was designed for people who don't get 401K- they work in exactly the same way except that you obviously don't get employer contributions.
If you contribute to 401K you are not allowed to contribute to Traditional IRA- you can only take out a Roth.

If you have no 401K then it is better to take out a Traditional IRA- because of the tax benefits. Depending on how many years you contribute till retirement and individual circumstances- re-investing the tax refund from a Traditional IRA will substantially outperform the Roths even with the post-retirement tax benefits of the Roth (when you will be in a much lower tax bracket anyway). There are plenty of Traditonal V Roth calculators on the web to find out which is better for you- it all depends on your individual circumstances.

My hubby has no 401K, so he has a Traditional IRA and re-invests his refund in municipal bonds (tax-free). I have 401K, so I have a Roth IRA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.