Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coming to America with Nippers

Coming to America with Nippers

Old Apr 30th 2012, 10:13 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about
Default Coming to America with Nippers

When I came here I had only myself to worry about (and that was more than enough).

I wonder whether some of you parents would share your thoughts on coming to America with the nippers. One or two British woman I have met have told me that it was so hard at first to find the food the kids were used to. (Sometimes it was there all along in the market, but under a different name.)

In the emigration thread I started, I see that many of you came with several children and many of you came with babies and small children, which I think would be so hard.

Share some thoughts please.
Old May 1st 2012, 1:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming to America with Nippers

It's not just the children though, it's everything...even the simple stuff like looking for aspirin or dish soap.

It's trivial, it's mundane stuff you don't think about, but it's usually this dumb stuff that adds up and can get you down if you've had a bad day. You just haven't been brought up with these brand names, or even if you know the brands, the products are different etc, so it can be a little over whelming when you're first at the grocery shop and you see the wall of laundry soap type of thing.

Kids, once they're eating, probably the easiest as they're less likely to notice or care, but babies could be more of a hassle if they're used to a certain formula or what not, but asking your doctors for advice might be a good start.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I felt upset trying to replicate their clubs and social activities. That was one of the hardest parts of leaving the UK, it even got to my husband.
Old May 1st 2012, 3:46 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Kids, once they're eating, probably the easiest as they're less likely to notice or care.
My kids were *very* picky eaters growing up, so it took time for them to acclimate to the new "foreign" foods. They're all grown up & will pretty much eat anything now, so they don't remember how hard they were to feed, but I certainly remember driving all over town to find things like bangers/sausages or even bread they'd eat without moaning . . . .

Originally Posted by Bob
It's trivial, it's mundane stuff you don't think about, but it's usually this dumb stuff that adds up and can get you down if you've had a bad day. You just haven't been brought up with these brand names, or even if you know the brands, the products are different etc, so it can be a little over whelming when you're first at the grocery shop and you see the wall of laundry soap type of thing.
Yes, I so agree! Those first few supermarket trips in the new country are frustrating & exhausting--8 months in I can still get upset doing the food shopping just for the husband & myself. I come home fed up & sooo missing my old village Co-op.
Old May 11th 2012, 3:53 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I felt upset trying to replicate their clubs and social activities.

Such as?
Old May 11th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Primula
Such as?
They were leaving a well-ordered set of friends and activities and it was hard to replace that immediately.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:07 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

They were leaving a well-ordered set of friends and activities and it was hard to replace that immediately.
What were the activities you were trying to replace?

Were the friends boys or girls?

What were their ages?
Old May 11th 2012, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
What were the activities you were trying to replace?

Were the friends boys or girls?

What were their ages?
Teaching ravens to fly underwater
Old May 11th 2012, 4:31 pm
Banned

Teaching ravens to fly underwater
We do that all the time in New York.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:34 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I still get frustrated going grocery shopping... You get used to the availability of certain things and when you can't find them it can be stressful.
I love Lamb and would cook it regularly in the UK, but it's very hard to get hold of here. Other things like Ibuleve gel (for sports injuries) - I'm yet to find here.
My son was born here so not so hard for him but I agree with the others that just missing some of those things that you're used to having can be hard for adults so I'm sure it must be very hard on children.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bink
Ibuleve gel (for sports injuries) - I'm yet to find here.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3ijs8b9ubw_b
Old May 12th 2012, 3:22 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
...Other things like Ibuleve gel (for sports injuries) - I'm yet to find here.
Go to Target or Walmart, you'll see a huge selection of equivalent stuff. The Ice Hot stuff is pretty good. Could do with having Radox, or whatever it's called though, without having to bother with Amazon
Old May 14th 2012, 7:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
without having to bother with Amazon
That's the thing I like best about Amazon, there is no bother. I buy almost 100% of what I need from Amazon.com.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:21 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Primula
That's the thing I like best about Amazon, there is no bother. I buy almost 100% of what I need from Amazon.com.
Amazon is great.

Sometimes, I just want my shit now, not in a couple of days time though. I also don't want my apartment filled with massive boxes that I'd have to get rid of and are a huge environmental waste, not to mention it being nice to read the small print off the packaging, try stuff out and get a tactile feel for things.

I'm pretty boring like that though.
Old May 15th 2012, 3:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Sometimes, I just want my shit now
I hear you. I'm sorta cheap so I always opt for the super-saver bit. When I ordered the box set of The Shield though last fall, I wanted it ASAP so I paid for it to be delivered the next day at 10 a.m., which it was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.