Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Combined US/UK residency

Combined US/UK residency

Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

bromleybill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Combined US/UK residency

As an early retiree I am about to take up my permanent residency option in California to be with my USC wife and our family/ grandchildren and participate in their lives Etc

I have already posted questions on the visa process, SSN and arrival procedures. not to mention having to return to the UK for completion of our property sale.

The question :scared:

With uncertainty about the time scales for getting into the US on a permanent basis, has anyone experience of extended stays for up to three months at a time?? This is an option we are considering which would negate full on medical insurance??????????

OK, its an unusual prospect!
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Combined US/UK residency

Depends on the visa your using to get over here to be honest I guess.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Depends on the visa your using to get over here to be honest I guess.
K3 spouse visa for permanent residency
Old Nov 17th 2004, 10:45 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleybill
K3 spouse visa for permanent residency
are you sure you are on a k-3?
did you not do dcf?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... This is an option we are considering which would negate full on medical insurance?????????? .....
Medical insurance is optional not compulsory. I think the real question you should be asking is (how) can I get travel (medical) insurance for 4x90days a year? - because until you get US a residency visa you're still a UK resident.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Medical insurance is optional not compulsory. I think the real question you should be asking is (how) can I get travel (medical) insurance for 4x90days a year? - because until you get US a residency visa you're still a UK resident.
Not wishing to be confusing. I am arriving with the K3 residency visa and will approach the whole thing of establishing myself. The problem is clearing the decks in the UK because of a stagnabt housing market. In such circumstances, I need to explore what other options I may have such as buying a temporary flat for my wife and I in LA as a base camp. The bonus might be in not having to take up a full medical insurance at this stage. (it would be foolish not to have cover).

As far as multiple entry...I do not know where I might stand on this subject but what else can I do, given the circumstances of having my major assetts locked in the UK?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

As far as multiple entry...I do not know where I might stand on this subject but what else can I do, given the circumstances of having my major assetts locked in the UK?
As far as I understand it, there shouldn't be a prob on the K3 as long as you haven't AOS'ed...
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:16 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Not wishing to be confusing. I am arriving with the K3 residency visa and will approach the whole thing of establishing myself. The problem is clearing the decks in the UK because of a stagnabt housing market. In such circumstances, I need to explore what other options I may have such as buying a temporary flat for my wife and I in LA as a base camp. The bonus might be in not having to take up a full medical insurance at this stage. (it would be foolish not to have cover).

your posts confuse me as to what visa you have. you say you have a k-3 in this post. but in previous posts it seems you have a done dcf. you say you have a stamp in your passport on another post but you would not get a stamp on a k-3.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by candy wy.
your posts confuse me as to what visa you have. you say you have a k-3 in this post. but in previous posts it seems you have a done dcf. you say you have a stamp in your passport on another post but you would not get a stamp on a k-3.
The use of code is as confusing as I must seem.

I am arriving with a stamped stuck on insert in my passport. I am married to a US citizen. I have applied for permanent residency. I have my brown envelope from the US Embassy in London.....thats it
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 2:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... has anyone experience of extended stays for up to three months at a time?? This is an option we are considering which would negate full on medical insurance?????????? ...
To go back to your original question, if you have a visa that permits you to work (whether you choose to or not) you can obtain a SSN, and in turn you can purchase medical insurance whether you choose to live 52 weeks in the US or only 48 weeks (or less). If you remain a UK resident (keep a British home base and "visit" the US) then you may still be able to get UK based travel insurance, but that may be difficult, if not impossible, to obtain if you are planning on spending 11 months of the year in the US.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 9:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The use of code is as confusing as I must seem.

I am arriving with a stamped stuck on insert in my passport. I am married to a US citizen. I have applied for permanent residency. I have my brown envelope from the US Embassy in London.....thats it
bill, you really need to sort yourself out with this visa business.
How can anyone help you when you don't even know what you're doing?

What does the VISA attached to your passport say?

You also can't serve two masters:
If you are resident in the UK you are eligible to use the NHS (I'll guess that that's what you're on about?)
If you are resident in the US you might not be eligible for the NHS.

You can only be resident in one or the other.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To go back to your original question, if you have a visa that permits you to work (whether you choose to or not) you can obtain a SSN, and in turn you can purchase medical insurance whether you choose to live 52 weeks in the US or only 48 weeks (or less). If you remain a UK resident (keep a British home base and "visit" the US) then you may still be able to get UK based travel insurance, but that may be difficult, if not impossible, to obtain if you are planning on spending 11 months of the year in the US.
Thank you for your helpful and succinct response.

If I have to consider partial residency in the US because of waiting to release the UK assetts, I will ensure that I maintain the preferred balance of residency to 90 days + on a limited basis.

It has been very difficult for myself and my wife to accept the delay in permanent transfer since we do not wish to find ourselves in a dual tax system or be unable to fix our roots. We are longing to settle in the US and be with our family. This forum is the only resource to information from experienced people like yourself.

Thankyou

Billy
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:43 pm

... we do not wish to find ourselves in a dual tax system or be unable to fix our roots. ....
Unfortunately you will inevitably have to file tax returns in two countries for at least one year, and maybe two, given that the US tax year is a calendar year, whereas the British tax year runs April to March.

If you have anything more than salaries and pensions to put on your returns then you should find yourself a good tax accountant who is familar with immigrant, and preferably British, tax issues.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

To keep your NHS cover haven't you be resident for 3 months of the year? There is something on these lines as I know when I go back next year, British citzen or not I am not covered by the NHS due to living in the USA.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 11:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Combined US/UK residency

Originally Posted by tony126
To keep your NHS cover haven't you be resident for 3 months of the year? There is something on these lines as I know when I go back next year, British citzen or not I am not covered by the NHS due to living in the USA.
Tony: are you going back to the UK for good or just for a holiday next year? If you're going to take up residence again in Blighty, you will be entitled to NHS cover immediately.

For Tony and the original poster, you can see the regulations about British citizens living abroad or returning to live in the UK on the official NHS website:

http://www.nhs.uk

(See the section with the Green heading "Registering for NHS Services" on the right hand side of the Home page.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.