Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Colorado and Static Electricity

Colorado and Static Electricity

Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold
Default Colorado and Static Electricity

I just wondered any of you here in Colorado are suffering with the same problem?

We have been here 4 months now and I sick to death of the static electricity problem here.

I have many a strange ritual happening before I dare to touch a light switch.

Is is a statewide problem (we are in Fort Collins)?

Are there any solutions we have humidifiers but they just dont help.

Any advice would be very very welcome.

issy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado and Static Electricity

It's all over...especially when it's cold, and dry out...just ground your self by touching a strip of metal that's grounded, like your car frame before getting into your car etc...
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems to come in fits and starts, I will have a week of thinking there is a short in the Electricty system and then nothing for months.

Perhaps a grounding post attached to the door knobs!

Not had a problem recently.

We do not have a humidifier, is this something plumbed into your heating system?

Snow on the ground, 18F but now the sun is out the heating system is not needed.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Feb 14th 2007 at 4:31 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

kel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to beholdkel.n.issy is a splendid one to behold

our humidifier is just a freestanding one, but you can get them to attatch to central air heating but they are pricey.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:46 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Shuffle across the carpet, then kiss your hubby! He won't know what hit him!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Sparks always fly when I kiss him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:49 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I've suffered big time here in NJ, I've even seen it arc from my car door to my hand as I was going to touch it. When I come from work in the winter my wife and I are very tentative before kissing even after we've touched metal to discharge it.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I had this problem when I first moved here, along with the runny nose thing.
I would get it particularly when touching my car.
Don't seem to notice it any more.

I'm in Denver if you want to hook up for a beer. Come to the Mercury Cafe for the best martinis.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

We have beento a couple of the malls (cherry creek and flatirons) but not Denver itself yet but we would love to meet up.

I find the car ok its the light switches and the hair that has to be always tied back as it is constantly stuck to my face.

The dry skin is getting easier and the chapped lips not as bad as they were but this bloody staic is driving me mad
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:20 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I used to carry my keys most of the time in my apartment in Denver, touch a key down first.

The worst thing was contact lens' They were all hard contacts in those days. After wetting them every hour or so, I switched back to glasses.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:29 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Its due to the arid climate... over time you will adjust. Walk around your house with your socks on - you won't be building up a charge and keeping your charge! When I first got arrived, my knuckles would bleed b/c they were so so chapped and cracked. Heaps of water drinking helped me. Overall, its just the nature of CO.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

That's one thing about here that's really hurts!
Even in western Oregon where it's wet and rainy lots in the winter, it always happens. I thought it was due to the synthetic carpets - all that nylon etc. And that combined with the dry forced air heat.
Axminster and radiators - where are you?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:16 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
That's one thing about here that's really hurts!
Even in western Oregon where it's wet and rainy lots in the winter, it always happens. I thought it was due to the synthetic carpets - all that nylon etc. And that combined with the dry forced air heat.
Axminster and radiators - where are you?
I think the forced air heat has a lot to do with it, plus the typical contintental climate versus British maritime we were use to in the UK. It sounds silly but even when I put petrol in my car, I touch my car first before I touch the pump. Of course in the summer I will be complaining about the humidity
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy
I just wondered any of you here in Colorado are suffering with the same problem?

We have been here 4 months now and I sick to death of the static electricity problem here.

issy
I've learned to cope with it, but little one not always keen to hold mummys hand
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kel.n.issy

issy
yes i have that here as well and it's horrible...happens even when i stroke my pussy (cat) LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.