Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Colorado - bad press

Colorado - bad press

Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

PaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to allPaulJane is a name known to all
Default Colorado - bad press

Hi all!

I have a question about Colorado. I have asked this on another thread but it was a bit off topic so I figured id start a new thread.

Ive noticed that a lot of people are negative about Colorado as a place to live and as a state in general. This is a concern because my wife and I are looking to settle there when we move back to the U.S. next year. When visiting Colorado ive found it to be very pleasent and I know everyone has different perceptions on the same place but nontheless I am very curious about what it is about Colorado that people dislike, so that I can have a more rounded view of the state.

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:43 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado - bad press

Old Mar 21st 2009, 8:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Full of Hairdressers and Realtors ...
Old Mar 21st 2009, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

I was living in CO up until December 08', have to say I wasn't too thrilled with the place! We lived in Centennial, about 20 mins from Denver. If you like Winter sports, outdoor recreation etc, you may like it there, if you like snow from halloween to March, you may like it. The property prices in our area were ridiculous! But when we were leaving, a lot were up for foreclosure! The air there is very thin, really dry, which is nice in the hot summers as there is hardly any humidity.
Lots of people I know love Colorado, it is one of the top States as far as healthy population goes. Some good schools, some really bad schools. I only lived there for 18 months, but I wasn't sad to leave. I have lived in about 6 different States, have met friendlier people in every other state!
(no offense to CO residents, just my experience)
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

My wife and I have been there a few times visiting, to see if we would like to move there one day. I hate the FL summers, but thats another story. I love the place, stunning scenery, fantastic in the summer, bearable in the winter, but, it's not everyones cup of tea!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:24 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful though, there is a gun nut named Octang who lives there.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

misssunflowerblue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Colorado most of my life. I was born here, and have lived in other places in the US. I must say that nothing beats it. I love it here. I find most of the people really friendly, and very liberal. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. There is loads to do, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, mountain climbing, sight seeing, wild flower watching. I must say it probably isn't everyone's cup of tea as we are like i said a very liberal and open minded community. At least in Boulder, County. I don't really have any negative things to say about my home state. My husband moved here 3 years ago from England, and said he wouldn't want to live anywhere else....I guess the best way to find out is move here yourself and see what you think. I'd like to think you wouldn't be disappointed.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Horrible place, very congested, best look elsewhere. 3ft of snow on Friday, cars sliding all over the place.

I hear Florida is very nice.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boiler
Horrible place, very congested, best look elsewhere.

Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Its now closed ...
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Boiler;7493667]3ft of snow on Friday, cars sliding all over the place.

QUOTE]

Normally, the snow is the powdery stuff, and it doesn't take long for the roads to get cleared.
We lived there in the late eighties. Damned expensive. People driving like there's no tomorrow. Not sorry to leave.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:25 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misssunflowerblue
I must say it probably isn't everyone's cup of tea as we are like i said a very liberal and open minded community. At least in Boulder, County.
Not sure that the People's Republic is representative of the whole state. (Don't get me wrong.. I like Colorado a lot.)
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Colorado is full. Texas too.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Stuck in this old city now,
Where livin' ain't no fun.
Where steel and glass and concrete
Cancel out the wind and sun.
And I'm thinkin' of last winter now,
When we walked hand-in-hand,
In the trails of the Colorado Rockies.
The wind sang us a lullaby.
The snow was thick as cream.
And icicles were chandeliers
Like crystals in a dream.
And the streams were strips of diamonds
And the hills were white as snow
And a bear ate all our soybeans in the night.
Oh, Colorado's calling me ...
From her hillsides and her rivers
And her mesas and her trees.
When blizzards snap the powerlines
And all the toilets freeze ...
In December in the Colordo Rockies.
We had time and space and freedom,
We had love and peace to spare.
Though we ran out of things to smoke
And say and eat and wear.
And the morning of the avalanche,
The Yeti kidnapped Blanche,
And took her to his cave up in the Rockies.
Oh, Colorado's calling me ...
From her glaciers and her canyons
And her badlands and ravines.
When infectious hepatitis
Was all that came to stay,
In January in the Colorado Rockies.
Baby didn't die until
We burned up all our wood.
Considering we ate her raw,
She tasted pretty good!
Then the fascist health inspectors
Dug us out and mailed us home ...
Except for Blanche who wouldn't leave her man.
Oh, Colorado's calling me ....
(Hey! You!)
From her mountains and her rivers
And her meadows and her trees.
They tell me I'll be cured soon,
Thawed, and ready to return ...
When it's April in the Colorado Rockies.
(Tony Hendra / Christopher Guest / Sean Kelly - 1973)
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:41 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Full of Hairdressers and Realtors ...

in both markets you will get a hair cut!

Horrible place, very congested, best look elsewhere. 3ft of snow on Friday, cars sliding all over the place.

got the No Vacancy bumper sticker, don't ya. I liked the one made like the "Free Tibet" except it saying "Free Boulder"

Colorado... that John Denver bloke was full of sh!t.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.