Colorado

Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

DanKatieColorado is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Colorado

Hi everyone

We're looking into re-locating to Colorado. We've fallen in love with the state and after long consideration, have decided to try and re-locate. It's all we can think about and we're really passionate about it.

Any Brit's currently living in Colorado? We'd really appreciate any advice you have.

We're especially interested in Silverthorne, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, but would be happy setting up a new life anywhere there is work, and make the most of the opportunity.

We're visiting again soon, and will be in Colorado between 19th October and 3rd November. If there is anyone willing to meet us for a quick coffee or beer, we'd love to buy you a drink in return for some advice on how you made the move and any nuggets of experience you could pass on. We'd be forever grateful.

How do you like living in Colorado?

Is it as hard to get employment?

Can you only re-locate to USA if you have a degree?

Which part of the visa process did you find the most difficult?

We're really hard working, friendly, easy going, positive people, we believe if we were given the change to settle into a Colorado Community we would really be able to add to it in a positive way. We love Country Music, Hiking, the great outdoors, Sun and Snow, and just making the most of life.

Thanks for you time

Katie & Dan

)
Old Sep 30th 2018, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Colorado

Hi Katie,

A good place to start to see if you have a potential visa route is here: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

Good luck.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have several hundred thousands of dollars for an investment visa, then it sounds like you will need a work visa - and you get one of these by finding a job with an employer who will sponsor you for a work visa. You can't move until you have the work visa.

Not all jobs are eligible for a work visa; and with one visa - the H1B - the non sponsored spouse cannot work, unless they get their own work visa.

What profession/field of work are you in?
Old Oct 1st 2018, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Please heed the above advice.

It is very, very difficult to get a Green Card to move to the United States. Moving from the UK to the US is not like Free Movement in the EU, just with a degree requirement.

Until you have a viable and airtight visa strategy, you are best advised to stop thinking about what suburb to buy in, what kindy to put the kids in, and what nature reserves are best for the three-day weekend. You face the very real possibility of an enormous let down if (when?) the moment hits that this isn't going to happen. I also wouldn't be telling friends or family and getting them in a lather over it.

This isn't to be negative, just realistic. It takes a lot, lot, lot more than just a positive attitude, "passion," and a university degree to make this happen.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 1:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The vast majority of people cannot relocate to the US even with a degree.

Cart before the horse here. Visa first, location second - if you even have a location choice based on the visa.

Last edited by civilservant; Oct 1st 2018 at 1:18 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 2:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The Rockies extend up into Canada and the border cities are much the same as living in the US in terms of geography and weather. In its favorite, you have a far better chance to moving to Canada than you have in emigrating to the US.
Old Oct 1st 2018, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Colorado.

It's full. It's expensive. Job market (I work in tech) is incredibly competitive and very cut-throat.

Good luck with finding a way to relocate. The information others have posted will be worth a read.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DanKatieColorado
Hi everyone

We're looking into re-locating to Colorado. We've fallen in love with the state and after long consideration, have decided to try and re-locate. It's all we can think about and we're really passionate about it.

Any Brit's currently living in Colorado? We'd really appreciate any advice you have.

We're especially interested in Silverthorne, Estes Park, Colorado Springs, but would be happy setting up a new life anywhere there is work, and make the most of the opportunity.

We're visiting again soon, and will be in Colorado between 19th October and 3rd November. If there is anyone willing to meet us for a quick coffee or beer, we'd love to buy you a drink in return for some advice on how you made the move and any nuggets of experience you could pass on. We'd be forever grateful.

How do you like living in Colorado?

Is it as hard to get employment?

Which part of the visa process did you find the most difficult?

We're really hard working, friendly, easy going, positive people, we believe if we were given the change to settle into a Colorado Community we would really be able to add to it in a positive way. We love Country Music, Hiking, the great outdoors, Sun and Snow, and just making the most of life.

Thanks for you time

Katie & Dan

)
Well I live in Colorado and the 3 places you mentioned seem an odd combination, not a lot in common.

I like beer but as I came over on a K1 not sure I can be much help.

I like living here, the Front Range has exploded since I got here so not so sure about down there. Might make a run down tomorrow, let you know.

Lots of jobs out there, even better if you can pass a drugs test.

You do not need a degree to relocate, now most come through family so not that relevant, you might.

The wait was the most difficult.

Snow next week, bit late this year, at least it will not stick.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Noodler is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Colorado 10 months ago on an 01 Visa. I work downtown for a software company and live in Highlands Ranch (about 30 mins south of the city)

I love it here and the climate is fantastic which helps seeing as there is so much to do outdoors here. Summer has been all hiking, paddle boarding and plenty of BBQs. Looking forward to the upcoming ski season. We have great skiing about 90 mins drive but you have to be up early and the traffic can be a killer.

I ma happy to meet for a beer after work in downtown Denver when you are over here.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noodler
I moved to Colorado 10 months ago on an 01 Visa. I work downtown for a software company and live in Highlands Ranch (about 30 mins south of the city)

I love it here and the climate is fantastic which helps seeing as there is so much to do outdoors here. Summer has been all hiking, paddle boarding and plenty of BBQs. Looking forward to the upcoming ski season. We have great skiing about 90 mins drive but you have to be up early and the traffic can be a killer.

I ma happy to meet for a beer after work in downtown Denver when you are over here.
If you're anywhere close to 16th St Mall, whenever I'm not WFH I'd be down to grab a beer and talk tech with someone!
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet is probably seeing if you can immigrate to Canada. It's not as difficult and there are a variety of different possible ways to get into Canada.

Probably somewhere in BC that would be to your liking.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Your best bet is probably seeing if you can immigrate to Canada. It's not as difficult and there are a variety of different possible ways to get into Canada.

Probably somewhere in BC that would be to your liking.
I'd add Calgary to that. Has many of the things in driving distance that places like Springs and Estes Park have to offer.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 7:16 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Colorado for twenty years. I remember when all this was just fields. Not like these Johnny Come Latelys you'll see posting here on this board.
I would meet with you when you come.
Old Oct 3rd 2018, 11:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Still is where I am.
Old Oct 4th 2018, 12:18 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

We had our first snow of the season here in the north Cascades last night. We are 70 miles from Canada so I imagine it’s not too different there weather-wise and their entry requirements are a little easier for Brits. Unfortunately there is no visa for country music-loving hikers. It’s a common misconception among Brits that if you are “hard-working” and “want to contribute positively to society” that you’ll be able to come here and will be welcomed with open arms. Unfortunately for you, the government sees that as “taking a job that an unemployed American can do” and their priority is to get unemployed Americans into work before they start letting in others.

Country music is surprisingly popular in Germany. It also has mountains and plenty of hiking opportunities. Grab it before Theresa May takes it off you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.