Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coffee Beans

Coffee Beans

Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Coffee Beans

Any coffee drinkers got any recommendations for decent beans, especially those mondo packs they have at Sam's Club?

I prefer strong coffee, and been getting a random handful each week at the local co-op for a morning brew, mainly because tea bags have gone way up...and errr....rather nice organic fair trade shite...also have a large tub of folgers that wasn't bad, but that's almost finished...
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:22 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coffee Beans

Originally Posted by Bob
Any coffee drinkers got any recommendations for decent beans, especially those mondo packs they have at Sam's Club?

I prefer strong coffee, and been getting a random handful each week at the local co-op for a morning brew, mainly because tea bags have gone way up...and errr....rather nice organic fair trade shite...also have a large tub of folgers that wasn't bad, but that's almost finished...
Slow day ???
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Slow day ???
slow evening

but we're off to Sam's club in a couple weeks, so figured I'd ask people now

That and PG tips went from $4.50 to $8 a packet..
Old Mar 14th 2006, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that stuff from coffee am to be pretty good. They have a decent selection and OK prices.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I've found that stuff from coffee am to be pretty good. They have a decent selection and OK prices.
Sounds like a cool site...so any recommendations? Just rather weird not being able to have a smell *lol*...and they come in one pound bags? Just wondering as the stuff at Sam's club are around $9 for a 2 ib bag...not to bothered with fair trade, though I probably should be
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:12 pm
Vegas Baby

vegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond reputevegas has a reputation beyond repute

We drank Nescafe instant in the UK. Here we drink Nescafe Classic which seems to be the same. Can't stand that lukewarm shi** that the Americans drink.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
slow evening

That and PG tips went from $4.50 to $8 a packet..

we get rellies to bring catering bags from Costco in the UK- 1200 for the equivalent of about $20 - the only way to buy tea!!!
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

There is nothing that approaches the taste of high quality, freshly ground coffee in the morning. While we normally buy Starbucks or some other foo foo coffee from the local market the thing I have learned is that you need a mini coffee grinder- as the essencial oils evaporate in about 48 hours (or so I was told by the coffee guru at the local foo foo coffee shop)- and grind your batch from beans every morning. He also suggested storing the beans in the freezer to maintain maximum taste. My wife likes the hazelnut or french vanilla...I prefer Kona or simply plain old Columbian Arabica. Now if I could just convince Americans to give Expresso a try.....
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Big D
we get rellies to bring catering bags from Costco in the UK- 1200 for the equivalent of about $20 - the only way to buy tea!!!
blimey..that's not bad going
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by ironporer
There is nothing that approaches the taste of high quality, freshly ground coffee in the morning. While we normally buy Starbucks or some other foo foo coffee from the local market the thing I have learned is that you need a mini coffee grinder- as the essencial oils evaporate in about 48 hours (or so I was told by the coffee guru at the local foo foo coffee shop)- and grind your batch from beans every morning. He also suggested storing the beans in the freezer to maintain maximum taste. My wife likes the hazelnut or french vanilla...I prefer Kona or simply plain old Columbian Arabica. Now if I could just convince Americans to give Expresso a try.....
Aye, i've a mini grinder and grind enough for a couple days and keep the stuff in the freezer too...and expresso, got a lovely little bialetti jobby for expresso...
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob

I know sounds disgusting, but I buy my whole beans from dunkin' donuts and the coffee is wonderful.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Lottie
I know sounds disgusting, but I buy my whole beans from dunkin' donuts and the coffee is wonderful.
It's good then? Because our local one is, apart from tiny rather scary and grotti *l*
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Since this a thread about coffee, can someone tell me why Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is so bloody expensive in the US? The local indie java joint sells it seasonally at $75.00 a lb!!!

I've been getting it sent from the UK by my family who have a friend who travels to Jamaica once in a while. He appears to buy his Blue Mountain coffee at the airport on the way out...

NC Penguin
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
It's good then? Because our local one is, apart from tiny rather scary and grotti *l*
Yeah, it's really good. When I lived in the UK my American friend [who also lived in the UK] raved about it. Having seen a few DD outlets on vacation over here I thought she was mad, but when I moved over she said I had to try it.

If you look at the bean quality compared to Starbucks it's unbelievable. Starbucks beans are broken, black, small and gnarled. The dunkin donuts beans are perfectly whole, brown and mid sized. Buy a 1Ib. If you hate it you can always post it to me.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Since this a thread about coffee, can someone tell me why Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee is so bloody expensive in the US? The local indie java joint sells it seasonally at $75.00 a lb!!!

I've been getting it sent from the UK by my family who have a friend who travels to Jamaica once in a while. He appears to buy his Blue Mountain coffee at the airport on the way out...
$75? bloomin' heck....what kind of coffee is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.