British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Closing Canada HSBC Account from US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/closing-canada-hsbc-account-us-906991/)

Nick Ball Dec 19th 2017 5:29 am

Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Hi everyone,

I lived in Canada and have an HSBC Canada account. I have now moved to the US and plan to stay so I'd like to close the Canada account (I have an HSBC US one). Not super-excited waiting for HSBC Canada customer service just to ask them this, so does anyone know if I can close it from the US, or do I have to go in person to a Canadian HSBC branch? I also heard some HSBC branches in the US deal with more international things than others? Closing it over the phone or online would be the ideal way, but I don't know if those can be done.

I asked one time at a local US branch and they didn't know (HSBC US and Canada are separate organizations). If no one knows I guess I'll just call HSBC Canada & report back here for others' information. But any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

MidAtlantic Dec 19th 2017 11:29 am

Re: Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Originally Posted by Nick Ball (Post 12401915)
Hi everyone,

I lived in Canada and have an HSBC Canada account. I have now moved to the US and plan to stay so I'd like to close the Canada account (I have an HSBC US one). Not super-excited waiting for HSBC Canada customer service just to ask them this, so does anyone know if I can close it from the US, or do I have to go in person to a Canadian HSBC branch? I also heard some HSBC branches in the US deal with more international things than others? Closing it over the phone or online would be the ideal way, but I don't know if those can be done.

I asked one time at a local US branch and they didn't know (HSBC US and Canada are separate organizations). If no one knows I guess I'll just call HSBC Canada & report back here for others' information. But any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

I can't imagine there are many people in the US who have closed an HSBC Canadian account. Just call them and ask the question.

Rete Dec 19th 2017 3:13 pm

My Canadian husband still maintains his Scotia Bank account in Canada after 20 years in the US.

plasticbag_uk Dec 25th 2017 3:16 pm

I don't really understand why you want to do this ? When I moved here I had an HSBC bank account in the UK, I kept it open and in use for 2 years, it was only after our nearest branch closed down that I decided to close it and set up a joint TD account with my wife. By the way TD is actually a Canadian bank, neither of us knew that until we spent a weekend in Toronto.

MorsePacific Dec 30th 2017 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Nick Ball (Post 12401915)
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Nick

Are you a Premier account holder in either country? They should be able to help you if you have a point of contact. I opened a Premier account when I moved here from the UK and as well as having a dedicated POC if I have queries, there's a section on the website that allows me to manage my international accounts. Not that I have any, but that suggests to me that you should be able to do this.

Though unless you're paying a fee for the Canadian account I'd be tempted to leave it open, you never know when it might come in useful.