Reload this Page >

Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Old Dec 19th 2017, 5:29 am
Just Joined

Nick Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Hi everyone,

I lived in Canada and have an HSBC Canada account. I have now moved to the US and plan to stay so I'd like to close the Canada account (I have an HSBC US one). Not super-excited waiting for HSBC Canada customer service just to ask them this, so does anyone know if I can close it from the US, or do I have to go in person to a Canadian HSBC branch? I also heard some HSBC branches in the US deal with more international things than others? Closing it over the phone or online would be the ideal way, but I don't know if those can be done.

I asked one time at a local US branch and they didn't know (HSBC US and Canada are separate organizations). If no one knows I guess I'll just call HSBC Canada & report back here for others' information. But any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Dec 19th 2017, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing Canada HSBC Account from US

Originally Posted by Nick Ball
Hi everyone,

I lived in Canada and have an HSBC Canada account. I have now moved to the US and plan to stay so I'd like to close the Canada account (I have an HSBC US one). Not super-excited waiting for HSBC Canada customer service just to ask them this, so does anyone know if I can close it from the US, or do I have to go in person to a Canadian HSBC branch? I also heard some HSBC branches in the US deal with more international things than others? Closing it over the phone or online would be the ideal way, but I don't know if those can be done.

I asked one time at a local US branch and they didn't know (HSBC US and Canada are separate organizations). If no one knows I guess I'll just call HSBC Canada & report back here for others' information. But any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
I can't imagine there are many people in the US who have closed an HSBC Canadian account. Just call them and ask the question.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 3:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My Canadian husband still maintains his Scotia Bank account in Canada after 20 years in the US.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

plasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond reputeplasticbag_uk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand why you want to do this ? When I moved here I had an HSBC bank account in the UK, I kept it open and in use for 2 years, it was only after our nearest branch closed down that I decided to close it and set up a joint TD account with my wife. By the way TD is actually a Canadian bank, neither of us knew that until we spent a weekend in Toronto.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nick Ball
Hi everyone,

Thanks,

Nick
Are you a Premier account holder in either country? They should be able to help you if you have a point of contact. I opened a Premier account when I moved here from the UK and as well as having a dedicated POC if I have queries, there's a section on the website that allows me to manage my international accounts. Not that I have any, but that suggests to me that you should be able to do this.

Though unless you're paying a fee for the Canadian account I'd be tempted to leave it open, you never know when it might come in useful.