Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

clearing UK immigration with my American wife and kids

clearing UK immigration with my American wife and kids

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice
Default clearing UK immigration with my American wife and kids

I have a British passport, my wife and kids are American. We will be making our first trip to the UK as a family next month. Does anyone know which line we need to get in at the UK immigration checkpoint? I was wondering if we had to go through separately, or can I get my family through the EU passport line with me?

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

mikethecameraman has a spectacular aura aboutmikethecameraman has a spectacular aura aboutmikethecameraman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: clearing UK immigration with my American wife and kids

Hi,

Not sure they would be happy with you all going thru the 'Euro line' .. But I went 'Home' to UK with my American girlfriend two weeks ago and I just stayed with her in the 'Other passports line' - so we were together..

- Wished she had done the same on the way back to US... - got taken for further questioning.... - Then when they asked me if I had any Tattoos... and I said no... and they checked.. they let me go saying "You are not the one we are looking for" !!!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Thanks Mike, sorry about your tattoo incident. I have a green card, so I'm not worried about coming home, we will be able to stay together here. I think we will all go through the non-EU line over there just to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Every story I've heard is that there is no problem going through the EU line, provided that somebody has an EU passport.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Every story I've heard is that there is no problem going through the EU line, provided that somebody has an EU passport.
If Australia can be taken as an example - my wife does not have AU passport and I was 'questioned' why is she standing in the NON au line when really she is travelling with me........
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [LEFT
steve[/LEFT]100100;6729368]I have a British passport, my wife and kids are American. We will be making our first trip to the UK as a family next month. Does anyone know which line we need to get in at the UK immigration checkpoint? I was wondering if we had to go through separately, or can I get my family through the EU passport line with me?

Thanks!
If there is a long line at the EU desk they generally will not do it or ask you to wait until the line has cleared.

If the immigration officer has gone to the EU desk and not bothered to take their stamps with them, they are personal issue with their ID number as part of the stamp, they will not do it.

Otherwise which is 90% of the time they will deal with you at the EU desk, or you can go with you family to the desks for non EU passport holders.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

We went back for the first time this past June. My husband is British and I'm American and our daughter is dual national, but we travel with her American passport. We all went through the UK citizens (or whatever its called EU passports I think) and there was no problems at all.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

We just went 2 weeks ago. We went through Edinburgh. I went through the UK/EU citizen line with my UK hubby with no problem. The officer didn't even make a comment about it.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
We just went 2 weeks ago. We went through Edinburgh. I went through the UK/EU citizen line with my UK hubby with no problem. The officer didn't even make a comment about it.
Wow!!

Does Edinburgh actually have more than one line??

It's a few years since I have been through international arrivals there but I thought that I remembered there just being one line for everyone ...
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve100100
I have a British passport, my wife and kids are American. We will be making our first trip to the UK as a family next month. Does anyone know which line we need to get in at the UK immigration checkpoint? I was wondering if we had to go through separately, or can I get my family through the EU passport line with me?

Thanks!
For many many years, me (UKC) took my wife & son (USC's), through the UK/Euro line, doff cap, make pleasantries, "They are with me, ok if they come in with me", doff cap. Never ever had a problem. Last 3 trips me (UKC/ USC), took wife, through with me, same patter, works a treat.

Good luck, have a great trip.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Wow!!

Does Edinburgh actually have more than one line??

It's a few years since I have been through international arrivals there but I thought that I remembered there just being one line for everyone ...
Yes there are two lines, and they have sent my wife to the furreners line in the past, but it is ususally only a minute difference at most.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
our daughter is dual national, but we travel with her American passport. .
Shouldn't she enter the UK with her Uk passport and the US with her US one?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Soundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really niceSoundman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Norri
That is correct.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen folks do both. If there is a big line at the EU desk then you may want to try the other one, just out of a desire not to create a backlog (sometimes they pull you out for a few seconds and in a line where everyone is basically just walking some people get bunched up, grumbly). But I don't think you'll have a problem with either though.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I don't think there are any rules on the subject. Certainly if we were going to remain in the UK - then she would enter in on her UK passport. But since we were only going for a short time - why bother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.