Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Class 2 NI. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributions?

Old Aug 5th 2021, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

Originally Posted by adele
I sent payment April 23rd and mine doesn't show up yet. I phoned them last Friday to check and they said it just takes time - the international caseworkers are backlogged right now and they have to do the update manually. Told.me it could be another 2-3 months.
I call te HMRC and they transfer me to a NI department- they tell me if two weeks passed, they can identify payment if one through bank an not cheque, an apply to right year- usually shows up within a week. When I call teh regular NI number I get same answer, that they have backlog.
Old Aug 6th 2021, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Class 2 NI abolished. What about us poor expats paying voluntary contributio

I sent payment April 23rd and mine doesn't show up yet. I phoned them last Friday to check and they said it just takes time - the international caseworkers are backlogged right now and they have to do the update manually. Told.me it could be another 2-3 months.
Update: A week later and I just checked my account again - 2020-2021 is now showing as a full year.

Phoning definitely speeds things up!
Old Sep 11th 2021, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Update: A week later and I just checked my account again - 2020-2021 is now showing as a full year.

Phoning definitely speeds things up!
I just checked and my 2020-2021 payment still isn't showing. I sent the payment May 3rd - ~2 weeks after you. Yours showed up around August 6 - over a month ago now. Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Do you think it was your call that 'fixed' it, or was that a coincidence? You said 'phoning definitely speeds things up'; did you really mean that or were you joking? I notice their 'help line' hours are now published as being open until 3:30pm, which means 7:30am my time (Pacific). Given the long wait times, that may suggest I need to start calling around 6:30am ... which is not my preferred way to start the day
Old Sep 11th 2021, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just checked and my 2020-2021 payment still isn't showing. I sent the payment May 3rd - ~2 weeks after you. Yours showed up around August 6 - over a month ago now. Do you think it's worth giving them a call? Do you think it was your call that 'fixed' it, or was that a coincidence? You said 'phoning definitely speeds things up'; did you really mean that or were you joking? I notice their 'help line' hours are now published as being open until 3:30pm, which means 7:30am my time (Pacific). Given the long wait times, that may suggest I need to start calling around 6:30am ... which is not my preferred way to start the day
I do seriously think that the phone call speeds things up - I asked the person on the phone and they said if you don't phone it would get updated 'eventually', but doing so prompts them to transfer the case to the international caseworkers and it seems to push it up the queue. I'm on PST too, but I usually phone at midnight before going to bed (they start at 8am) and the wait has never been very long for me. I try to make the call when I'm not getting up early to work the next day, so a stat holiday or a vacation day!

All the best!

Old Sep 11th 2021, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I do seriously think that the phone call speeds things up - I asked the person on the phone and they said if you don't phone it would get updated 'eventually', but doing so prompts them to transfer the case to the international caseworkers and it seems to push it up the queue. I'm on PST too, but I usually phone at midnight before going to bed (they start at 8am) and the wait has never been very long for me. I try to make the call when I'm not getting up early to work the next day, so a stat holiday or a vacation day!

All the best!
My experience has been a phone call definitely speeds thins up. hey have told me that absent a phone call payments received can take some time before allocated correctly. My experience is if I call after two or three weeks of payment being sent, presumably by bank transfer, they will then allocate within a week or set up a 'receivable' specifically for a payment, so when they get around to posting they know specifically where to post. I actually avoid being transferred to international caseworker, just the 'regular' caseworker suffices- as they are the ones per my understanding who actually do the posting.
Old Sep 12th 2021, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

All the best!
Thanks for the 'midnight' tip - I'm much, much more functional at midnight than I am at 6am . It's midnight right now and I haven't even done the dishes yet, and have an hour or two of TV watching ahead of me! I never was a 'morning person' ...
Old Sep 14th 2021, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I sent payment in June, still waiting.
Old Oct 6th 2021, 1:06 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I made the call today, no wait once I got through the robot questions. First adviser had to transfer me to one who dealt with international.

She looked up my details and said it shows as of the date I sent it… but that the system had not linked it. Said she fixed it and it would show up
tomorrow morning…..

Old Oct 8th 2021, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
I made the call today, no wait once I got through the robot questions. First adviser had to transfer me to one who dealt with international.

She looked up my details and said it shows as of the date I sent it… but that the system had not linked it. Said she fixed it and it would show up
tomorrow morning…..
Did it show up?
So it sounds like the system is broken and we will have to manually get it linked.. great
Old Oct 8th 2021, 6:03 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Did it show up?
So it sounds like the system is broken and we will have to manually get it linked.. great
Just checked 2020-21 is now “Full year” so that worked.

2021-2022 is now showing up as a new line… so I guess wait for the letter in the spring with the amount…

she also told me on the call that I only need to contribute 10 more years for the maximum pension…
Old Oct 9th 2021, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tht
Just checked 2020-21 is now “Full year” so that worked.

2021-2022 is now showing up as a new line… so I guess wait for the letter in the spring with the amount…

she also told me on the call that I only need to contribute 10 more years for the maximum pension…
That's great - I also have 10 years to go once they update it (unless they change the 35 year for the max in the mean time.)
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

I just registered for overseas rate for voluntary contributions. If I send in money to pay for missed years to date, does it have to be applied sequentially, earliest year first, or can you pick years?

The first missed year was one where I was still in UK and worked half year after college - so I have $800 or so shortfall. Then after that all missed years are while overseas so at overseas voluntary contribution rate. In other words, if I sent in a check for the 10 overseas years, it would mostly all get eaten up by that first year in the UK. Is there a way to specify which years you are paying for?
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Get a statement showing your NI record. This should show full years and missing years, and which missing years are available to be filled (some may have timed out; you can normally go back 6 years {temporarily increased due to the introduction of the new state pension?}) and the cost of filling each one. Then select which of the available missing years you want to fill and pay.

You should be able to see your NI record online:

http://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker
Get a statement showing your NI record. This should show full years and missing years, and which missing years are available to be filled (some may have timed out; you can normally go back 6 years {temporarily increased due to the introduction of the new state pension?}) and the cost of filling each one. Then select which of the available missing years you want to fill and pay.

You should be able to see your NI record online:

http://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
yes i have this statement. My question is can you specify which years you are paying? If so, how?
Old Nov 23rd 2021, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago, I made an application by post, they sent me a letter listing the missing years, stating either closed or available and the cost of filling, I ticked those I wanted to pay for and sent it back. I assumed the same thing could now be done online, but if not I expect it can be done by post.

I suggest you call the International NI office, tell them what you want to do and asking how to proceed. There may be a quick way to make an online application / selection and payment, but otherwise it can be done by written correspondence.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...n-uk-residents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.