Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Clarifying Misconceptions re My NYC Post

Clarifying Misconceptions re My NYC Post

Old Sep 4th 2001, 1:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It has been brought to my attention via private e-mail that readers of the newsgroup might misinterpret my post regarding Jim's treatment at the NYC INS office on Aug 31.

It has been suggested that readers will feel that INS is a vindicative government agency and that they deliberately will mishandle a case if they feel that the petitioner has caused a particular worker aggravation or they just don't like them period.

Let me reassure you all that my post was factual as to the occurrences that day but that the suggested reasons for the occurrences were just speculation on my part. When faced with a situation where logic does not prevail, one will tend to look for possibilities for the behavior displayed.

Personally neither Jim nor I feel that it is a vendetta against us but a one in a million snafu that could have easily been corrected with honesty on the part of INS personnel.

Our case from the beginning was straightforward. We are of the same generation, so no big age differences to murk the waters. We live together in one apartment as husband and wife. We share financial bank accounts and medical, life and 401K policies. There is no criminal record for either of us. There is no overstay issues. We were approved for AOS based on all of the above and documentation submitted as proof of the marriage and relationship. We are still in the same marital and financial situation now as we were a year ago.

We did not require an attorney for any of the paperwork, whether Fiancee Visa or AOS after marriage. The only time an attorney was used was when Matt Udall was kind enough to inquire, on behalf, about Jim's approval date and actual status. Matt received a letter from the Section 245 supervisor with just that information and that was the end of Matt's involvement.

I've also been asked why we sent off letters to our Congresswoman as it was felt that this wasn't really a problem and could have been handled without her interference. Since the letters have yet to be received by her and the others, it is too soon to say if the person is correct in their judgment.

So for those of you that have e-mailed me about your concerns for your own well being at the hands of the INS, rest assured that I feel INS is a reputable government agency and although they may have a few rude and ignorant and prejudicial workers, they are few and far between. If you are upfront, honest and have no major issues to overcome you will come through it fine.

Rita

Old Sep 4th 2001, 10:18 pm
Toni B

>

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
It is true that there are people in certain positions, in any agency in any capacity,
that ought not be where they are. Unfortunate for the ones who have to deal face to
face with someone who holds certain aspects of your life in their hands. My dealings
with the personnel in the embassy in Guatemala was a joke...they guy who processed my
husband in Texas got what he deserved I'm sure. But, I have dealt with many people in
INS since and most have been very polite and professional and in some cases,
extremely willing to help. What bothers me is that these people represent our country
and some of the behavior is shameful. No wonder so many people hate Americans.