Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Claiming Unemployment Benefit in USA

Wikiposts

Claiming Unemployment Benefit in USA

Old May 26th 2011, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

london66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond reputelondon66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claiming Unemployment Benefit in USA

Hi there

I was wondering if anyone new the ins and outs of claiming unemployment benefit in the states. I was laid off on 8th April but we have a 60 day WARN period, where I still get paid, this ends 8th June. So I would like to start claiming unemployment benefit but had a number of questions as the last time I claimed anything was when I was a student back in the UK

1) do I have to go to an office somewhere or can I do everything online
2) do I have to tell them about my redundancy money
3) does the money go directly into my bank account or do I get a check in the mail.

My status here is that I am a green card holder and actively looking for a job.

Thanks

Brendan
Old May 26th 2011, 3:16 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Unemployment Benefit in USA

Originally Posted by london66
1) do I have to go to an office somewhere or can I do everything online
Each state does things a little differently, so you'll need to research how YOUR state (or the state you were employed in) handles the process. My sister in Arizona was on unemployment recently, and everything was done online.

2) do I have to tell them about my redundancy money
Most likely, yes. You'll know when it comes time to fill out the application for unemployment.

3) does the money go directly into my bank account or do I get a check in the mail.
My sister here in Arizona had direct deposit.

Just do a google search for "Unemployement Benefits" in your state.

Rene
Old May 26th 2011, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claiming Unemployment Benefit in USA

All 3 answers depend on your state.

Some places you have to sign up in the office, some online, some by paper. In MA, you go do either, but as a LRP, you've got to fax them a copy of the greencard front and back.

You have to sign up for classes when they tell you to, and pick a location nearby, which there won't be in MA as they've closed most of the offices.

You have to either send in by mail, or online fill in a form with who/where/what jobs you've applied for in the last week and state any money you've earned, which will be deducted from your unemployment, but will stretch the unemployment out, but if it's more than $130 a week you lose the unemployment.

The money can either be a cheque or DD, the first one will be a cheque probably. In MA, they often send holiday period ones as a cheque, because they might be a week late. It can also take a couple of months before you get your first payment, but it should be back dated to the first date eligible.

Your state might be different.