Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Citizenship question?

Citizenship question?

Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:21 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute
Question Citizenship question?

I am engaged to a british citizen and currently pregnant with our child. I am in the US and the baby will be born here, do I have to do anything in regards with the UK to show that this baby has rights in the UK as well as here in the US? Or do I just wait until we are married?

We are looking at maybe moving back to the UK in a few years.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question?

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
I am engaged to a british citizen and currently pregnant with our child. I am in the US and the baby will be born here, do I have to do anything in regards with the UK to show that this baby has rights in the UK as well as here in the US? Or do I just wait until we are married?

I think people are getting confused because you say "moving BACK to the UK" which makes them think you came from there originally.

Just to clarify, if I am correct:

You are USC, living in US
Fiance is UKC, in UK, hopefully coming over on K-1

btw, hi and welcome
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i am sure the father's uk birth certificate will suffice regardless if you are married or not....congrats by the way
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:46 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

i say moving back because ive been there loads of times and spent all of last summer there... i consider the UK my second home. my sons and i were going to immigrate to the UK, but it was too expensive and then with the surprise of our baby.... we decided the US is best.

Yes I am american through and through.

Thank you TruBrit Do we have to notify the consulate here in the US or anything like that? We don't want any snags if we decide to relocate to the UK later on...

I also have 2 sons who's father is deceased and we are looking into whether or not he will have to adopt them in the US in order for them to be considered his children in the UK... once we are married the boys want to take my fiance's last name, but if he were to adopt them, they lose the Social Security benefits from the US from their father... its a bigger mess than I intended....

Everyone keeps saying "why couldnt you fall in love with someone in America?" I tried that once and he passed away and my fiance and I... well we stumbled upon one another and its been the best thing to happen to my boys and I since cheesecake and doner's!
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone keeps saying "why couldnt you fall in love with someone in America?" I tried that once and he passed away and my fiance and I... well we stumbled upon one another and its been the best thing to happen to my boys and I since cheesecake and doner's!

lol and all my family/friends said the opposite 'why couldn't i fall in love with a brit'

you can apply for a brit passport for the baby when born and file paperwork/birth certificate then...check out http://www.britainusa.com/
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i am sure the father's uk birth certificate will suffice regardless if you are married or not....congrats by the way
I am starting to find that this is a little more complicated than that. My little search recently on what you have to do has thrown up some stuff that I didn't even know. I guess before June or July 2006 the child in this case would not have not been a UK citizen because the father had to be married to the mother to prove legitimacy. That seems to have been relaxed but to get it all official with no question, you need to send in a few forms and some cash. As long as the UK citizen father is listed on the child's birth certificate and the birth certificate was issued before the child turns 1, that proves decent.

Here is the website to get the info.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 3:58 pm
Questy Questionson

Originally Posted by TruBrit
lol and all my family/friends said the opposite 'why couldn't i fall in love with a brit'

you can apply for a brit passport for the baby when born and file paperwork/birth certificate then...check out http://www.britainusa.com/

Well i met him by accident... through a video game on xboxlive... a 15 yr old kid on my sons friends list happened to catch me playing ( my secret addiction! ) and invited me into a game... my fiances nephew was being a right tw@t and james stuck up for me... then it went from there. he asked me to come visit him and his mum and i said wth, you only live once so i took 3 flights from montana to manchester and spent the best time of my life in a shyte town called st helens!

Duncan, thank you! I will look into it, we plan on doing a DNA test just for matters like this... (plus a few people in his family need to eat their words) because they think the baby isn't his.:curse: but hey! its all a part of life and the baby was made from love and he and i both know its his.